BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Question about 135is

I just got a used 135is and it is missing the badge above the glove box. Not sure what the speedometer and tach dials are supposed to look like. Also, the sideview mirrors are the aerodynamic version but not the black color the IS is supposed to have. It does have the Wheels, Perf. Exhaust and rear badge on the the trunk that says 135is. I am just wondering if anyone has had this same experience on their IS. Also, how do I check to see if it has the larger radiator fan and the auxilliary cooler. Also, the sticker shows it is an IS.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
      09-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I can answer most if not all of those.

The carbon black IS cars have all gotten carbon black colored side mirrors as all the carbon black owners on here have reported, so that's normal.

Haven't heard of no interior badge, but for some reason they seem to put them in different places sometimes - most people have it on the black part just above the glovebox, whereas some have it on the aluminum trim itself right above that.

You should be able to see the auxiliary cooler if you look inside the driver's side lower front air dam/fascia in front of the wheel.

You should also run your vin in one of those vin decoders as well as I forget the code, but it will also show P7MA or something like that (there's another thread on how many 135is coupes built) and it'll say something like Sport Edition for the description of that.

If your window sticker has it, you should be good too. Do you also have the stainless steel pedals? That would be the only other thing to look for, as even the PPK installed stickers seem to be hit and miss on IS cars. Oh, and the IS grille, which is chrome surround with black vertical slats, although someone could just have easily have gotten the all black grilles as many IS owners have done who don't much care for the chrome.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I just got a used 135is and it is missing the badge above the glove box. Not sure what the speedometer and tach dials are supposed to look like. Also, the sideview mirrors are the aerodynamic version but not the black color the IS is supposed to have. It does have the Wheels, Perf. Exhaust and rear badge on the the trunk that says 135is. I am just wondering if anyone has had this same experience on their IS. Also, how do I check to see if it has the larger radiator fan and the auxilliary cooler. Also, the sticker shows it is an IS.
Here's a photo of my car with the badge above the glove box. I don't know what type of adhesive was used to install it, but it is not very secure. It's got a lot of give to it, as if it was glued on using rubber cement. I'm sure you could flick it off with one finger. Perhaps yours was accidentally removed during moderately aggressive interior cleaning.
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
Here's a photo of my car with the badge above the glove box. I don't know what type of adhesive was used to install it, but it is not very secure. It's got a lot of give to it, as if it was glued on using rubber cement. I'm sure you could flick it off with one finger. Perhaps yours was accidentally removed during moderately aggressive interior cleaning.
Interesting that yours is on the aluminum trim - mine is on the black plastic below the trim. The adhesive is definitely flimsy.

Between the "sometimes" present PPK stickers and the IS badge being in different places, I wonder if the VPC folks got a complete set of instructions from the Fatherland?

Here's a pic from earlier in this thread:

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8

The carbon black IS cars have all gotten carbon black colored side mirrors as all the carbon black owners on here have reported, so that's normal.

Haven't heard of no interior badge, but for some reason they seem to put them in different places sometimes - most people have it on the black part just above the glovebox, whereas some have it on the aluminum trim itself right above that.

You should be able to see the auxiliary cooler if you look inside the driver's side lower front air dam/fascia in front of the wheel.

You should also run your vin in one of those vin decoders as well as I forget the code, but it will also show P7MA or something like that (there's another thread on how many 135is coupes built) and it'll say something like Sport Edition for the description of that.

If your window sticker has it, you should be good too. Do you also have the stainless steel pedals? That would be the only other thing to look for, as even the PPK installed stickers seem to be hit and miss on IS cars. Oh, and the IS grille, which is chrome surround with black vertical slats, although someone could just have easily have gotten the all black grilles as many IS owners have done who don't much care for the chrome.
Actually I think the stainless pedals were only for the 335is, mine didn't have them and two other 135is's at the dealer didn't have them either. I added them but I think they costed that one out. But since it seems BMW's quality control as of late leaves much to be desired it wouldn't faze me in the least if they just forgot to add it to a bunch of cars.

Even my window sticker shows nothing for pedals. Who knows maybe some got em and others didn't, I've read magazine and blog writ-ups about the pedals but have yet to see an IS sold with them, and I'm at the dealer about 2 times if not more a week. Otherwise like you said the vin is the only way to be sure, if you type the vin in a reader it will show as an 135i however so you have to look for the code as stated above.

As far as your badge missing that sucks as their not replaceable, at least that's what I was told. Their not sold and have no part number, the fact that it was probably knocked off is very real, my 8 year old cousin was playing around and plopped it off and into the dirty floor mat getting all nasty so I affixed it with much better adhesive so it acts as a proper appliqué vs an afterthought,

It may be possible to take your car to the dealer and have them work something out with BMW to replace your badge if its important to you as anything is possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:

Actually I think the stainless pedals were only for the 335is, mine didn't have them and two other 135is's at the dealer didn't have them either. I added them but I think they costed that one out. But since it seems BMW's quality control as of late leaves much to be desired it wouldn't faze me in the least if they just forgot to add it to a bunch of cars.

Even my window sticker shows nothing for pedals. Who knows maybe some got em and others didn't, I've read magazine and blog writ-ups about the pedals but have yet to see an IS sold with them, and I'm at the dealer about 2 times if not more a week. Otherwise like you said the vin is the only way to be sure, if you type the vin in a reader it will show as an 135i however so you have to look for the code as stated above.

As far as your badge missing that sucks as their not replaceable, at least that's what I was told. Their not sold and have no part number, the fact that it was probably knocked off is very real, my 8 year old cousin was playing around and plopped it off and into the dirty floor mat getting all nasty so I affixed it with much better adhesive so it acts as a proper appliqué vs an afterthought,

It may be possible to take your car to the dealer and have them work something out with BMW to replace your badge if its important to you as anything is possible.
I just saw my 135is that arrived from the port yesterday and it definitely had the sport aluminium pedals! they are only installed on te 6 speed cars, as far as I know...the DCT cars don't have them but can have them installed afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
Double sided foam tape.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I just saw my 135is that arrived from the port yesterday and it definitely had the sport aluminium pedals! they are only installed on te 6 speed cars, as far as I know...the DCT cars don't have them but can have them installed afterwards.
I have the 6MT and it came w/ the stainless steel pedal set (like in this photo). * I found this photo online - it's not my car.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Been confirmed only 6mt got ss pedal, dct only got the dead pedal
      09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I still think all us DCT owners should write an angry letter to BMW cause the press release and info on the 135is said it comes with stainless steel pedals, as did the pictures on the online configurator. It didn't say, stainless steel pedals only if you get it in manual. What would be the rationale anyways for including it on one transmission, but not the other. Needless to say, I've been mad about this for 6 months. But I made sure come hell or high water that mine had the stainless steel pedals on there before I took delivery. Ba humbug!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

I don't believe it is true that they are not replaceable. In fact, we know of a 135i owner who has purchased and installed the badge just to try to pass off his 135i as a poseur 135is. It is pretty funny and obvious how hard he is trying, and he has no idea that most people are aware of it but just haven't specifically called him out on it yet....

OP should go back to the dealer to have him secure one. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post

+1. Couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

I don't believe it is true that they are not replaceable. In fact, we know of a 135i owner who has purchased and installed the badge just to try to pass off his 135i as a poseur 135is. It is pretty funny and obvious how hard he is trying, and he has no idea that most people are aware of it but just haven't specifically called him out on it yet....

Well it's just what I was told by my dealer ( bill Jacobs BMW) in Chicago, I've been told different stories by different dealers on different subjects so if he can get it replaced great !
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

OP - your dealer should be able to get you another badge as anyone can order the piece. It may take a week or so to get as they usually have to order them and sometimes have to come from Germany. Unfortunately I don't have the part # handy, but I got an extra one for myself to turn into a fun lil shadow box arts and crafts project to put on my desk at work or may end up drilling a hole in it and using it as a dogtag-esque keychain. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP - your dealer should be able to get you another badge as anyone can order the piece. It may take a week or so to get as they usually have to order them and sometimes have to come from Germany. Unfortunately I don't have the part # handy, but I got an extra one for myself to turn into a fun lil shadow box arts and crafts project to put on my desk at work or may end up drilling a hole in it and using it as a dogtag-esque keychain. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
That's cool again re-affirms why you should never listen to dealers all the time, proven wrong yet again. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
My 135is badge is on the metal trim like the picture above. The 335is dash badge is inset into the metal trim not just stuck in top like the 135is.

It does not have the logo in the gauge faces or flank badges like the 335is does.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
My 135is badge is on the metal trim like the picture above. The 335is dash badge is inset into the metal trim not just stuck in top like the 135is.

It does not have the logo in the gauge faces or flank badges like the 335is does.
I would have killed for the equivalent 135is gauges, which are quite pretty and really set it apart. I also prefer the direct 335is stamping into the trim. Glad we did not get the side IS badging though. You're lucky you have both in the driveway. Fantasy garage for many.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Thanks, I really like the 135is's agility & fun to drive feeling. For me I would have liked the flank badges because the sheet metal panel is pretty big & flat. I think it could use a bit of trim. I was thinking of the trunk badge for there but the script is a little to big.

I also like the darker gray finish on the 135, would have gotten the 335 that color if it had been available.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think a lot of the reasons the 135is didn't have a designated ip cluster and basically a very basic at best dash badge thats also applied where the tech sees fit, as well with manual cars with pedals and DCT cars without is its a pure and simple marketing move to move more cars before its killed. And wasn't fully flushed out. They used parts that were already available in the bin (dash badge and blue stitching is only custom parts) and that I think is why the vin shows it as a 135i, the E92 lci has a true 335is vin code as it was a real project so it had money invested and the sales numbers supported it. They sell so few 1 series cars here in the united states it probably didn't make sense for the cluster bomb and retooling for appliqués. I'm in auto design and deal with this stuff day in and day out so if I were to guess that's why we don't have some of the nice features that the E92 335is has. Just my opinion though
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll ask my dealer about the badge for sure.