Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Getting rid of Runflats in 12 months' time...space for spare??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #23
markh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE

What I find intriguing is that if you look at Internet forums (and car reviews) for both the Mini and E60, you find masses of negative comment about the impact of runflats. Interstingly, Top Gear in the UK described the ride of BMWs as being "shameful of late". This, however, does not have appeared to have affected their sales success. I personally think that the runflats take the edge of what should be a spectacular car. Maybe runflats will improve, maybe they won't. I would have preferred the choice like in the E60.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #24
greenscape
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

That cracks me up... BMW puts these tires on this car as a safety mechanism and then they tell you its ok to drive around with a nail in your tire ?? Mind boggling...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #25
eros613
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Well the debate rages on!!

My 2 cents worth!!!

Disliked the ride from day one compared to my 03 so after 1200 miles the Runflats are gone. Went to NONS on aftermarket Beyern Five 17 x 8 rims and saved a total of 40 pounds in weight. The RIDE is defiantly smoooother with a lot less road noise, so I am very happy I made the change.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #26
greenscape
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

Not to mention, it took 3 technicians over 2 hours to change out my runflat tires. They are a pain in the a$$ and nobody wants to deal with them.. How about this, you get a blowout on your way to vermont on a saturday night. The runflat gets you there just fine. If you think you are gonna get a tire shop(sears pep boys etc) to change out that runflat on a saturday/Sunday you are mistaken, let alone find another tire to replace it. You will find a tire, but it won't be a runflat.. Call around to 10 tire shops and see if they have a runflat in your size in stock. You'll get laughed off the phone trust me.. So now they put a tire on your car(a non runflat to get you home. cost around $200) and you have to go home and order the correct tire and then have that mounted.. (cost $250 at least). Now you are out $450 and your stuck with a tire you can't use.... Ahh, I have an idea, use it for a Spare.....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Good point Greenscape. When I had tire rack tires mounted on our Saab with 18" wheels, some of their recommended installers stated they didn't handle 18's, and even when I found a goodyear dealer that was competent, he asked that we wait a day till his best guy would be in so they wouldn't get abused by his usual guys. And this was in an urban area. Imagine how hard it'd be in a rural southern town where pickups are the norm. And runflats that are hard to mount on top of that. And in 18" sizes for many of us on top of that. Not much sidewall for the installer to work with, and a stiff one, I'm sure it would be a pain to deal with.

I just am not that lucky. I am sure I'd have a "situation" if I stuck with runflats.

I think runflats are a good idea if you use the car in a limited city area, but I just think they should have given you the option of a spare anyway. The net result of not doing so is that those of us who choose non-runflats and still want a spare now have about half a trunk instead of 90% of the one it has now if they'd have engineered in a space for a mini spare. I'm one who can work around it, but anyone carrying passengers would be hurting for space.

I wonder that if instead of runflats they spent the extra money they cost on improvements in "armor" in tire belts to prevent damage in the first place, it might be a better overall result.
Appreciate 0