BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Aftermarket Exhaust for Noob

I have a VO 1M that I've been trying to keep pretty stock, but the volume of the stock exhaust really bothers me. What are the best options as far as making the exhaust louder. I'm not really overly concerned about a performance boost and I want to be able to return it back to stock relatively easily. For a limited production car there seems to be quite a few options:

Mid pipe
Down pipes
Full exhaust

What is the best and most affordable way to make the exhaust louder?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Do you have any certain budget ?

IMO I suppose you can just buy a catback system from Supersprint or Eisenmann so that leaves the downpipes and mid piped stock . A full exhaust usually consists of the catback along with a midpipe section . So its pretty much up to you and your budget .. If you got the extra buy a full unit.. but if you want affordability just get the catback and leave the midpipe stock .
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Database :

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618555
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep

So am I better off with a stock midpipe and aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket midpipe with stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I would run an aftermarket midpipe and call it a day, that is what I am planning on doing, and it is a very easy install (bolts right in place of the old one). But it really depends on how loud you want it. The stock muffler isn't all that restrictive, and aftermarket mufflers are fairly expensive ~$2000.

There are a few options when it comes to midpipes. The cheapest route is to buy an N55 midpipe (BMW factory part on the N55 135) that deletes the secondary cats located in the midpipe in the N54 engine while retaining the resonator. This is a ~$360 part shipped from getbmwparts.com. It will give a slight amount of volume. If you want more, you can just have a muffler shop hack off the resonator, maybe add a smaller one its up to you.

Another option is the maddad midpipe, it has been very popular among 1M folks. It is a very quality aftermarket item that has two smaller resonators in place of the factory cats. It will be louder than the N55 pipe, but it is a little more expensive ~$750 from hpashop.com I believe.

If you want really loud then go with the eisenman straight through midpipe and their rear exhaust that has no muffler. A few guys on here that run that setup. I don't think I could handle the volume on a daily basis, but some can.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I would run an aftermarket midpipe and call it a day, that is what I am planning on doing, and it is a very easy install (bolts right in place of the old one). But it really depends on how loud you want it. The stock muffler isn't all that restrictive, and aftermarket mufflers are fairly expensive ~$2000.

There are a few options when it comes to midpipes. The cheapest route is to buy an N55 midpipe (BMW factory part on the N55 135) that deletes the secondary cats located in the midpipe in the N54 engine while retaining the resonator. This is a ~$360 part shipped from getbmwparts.com. It will give a slight amount of volume. If you want more, you can just have a muffler shop hack off the resonator, maybe add a smaller one its up to you.

Another option is the maddad midpipe, it has been very popular among 1M folks. It is a very quality aftermarket item that has two smaller resonators in place of the factory cats. It will be louder than the N55 pipe, but it is a little more expensive ~$750 from hpashop.com I believe.

If you want really loud then go with the eisenman straight through midpipe and their rear exhaust that has no muffler. A few guys on here that run that setup. I don't think I could handle the volume on a daily basis, but some can.
Thanks for the help. How about the Berk midpipe? Or perhaps the eisenman straight pipe with stock mufflers?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM View Post
Thanks for the help. How about the Berk midpipe? Or perhaps the eisenman straight pipe with stock mufflers?
I remember reading about rattling issues with the Berk, though plenty of 135 drivers use it and are satisfied. I honestly don't know if too many 1M drivers use the berk, most prefer the N55, maddad, or Eisenman. The eisenman straight pipe with stock muffler would probably sound great, though I imagine it would make the drone slightly worse, don't know how important that is to you. Some complain about the drone stock and while I notice it I don't find it annoying or anything.

Personally, I am leaning towards the maddad. From what I have read the two small resonators away with any drone while providing more volume and some fun burbles and pops when coming off the throttle. Not to mention a nice ~10hp gain.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep

Is the Maddad significantly louder than the N55 pipe?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Your cheapest route would probably to pick up a n55 midpipe with that new vrsf downpipes and keep your rear section stock.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662870
That's the link to the downpipes. Not really sure about them but some have had good experiences and a local guy has installed it too.

Last edited by Gtrain; 06-22-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
I am running the Berk mid with a Magnaflow rear section, no problems, love the sound, a little louder than stock and you know there is a difference.

Plus the whole package is just over $1000.

Not for the guy that wants a loud system.

WB
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

I went with the Maddad midpipe and the Borla prototype exhaust. I liked the way it sounds after seeing the video posted by Harold @ HPautowerks.

You can always start off with midpiepe mod first and continue with an exhaust if you still wnat more.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Do you have any certain budget ?

IMO I suppose you can just buy a catback system from Supersprint or Eisenmann so that leaves the downpipes and mid piped stock . A full exhaust usually consists of the catback along with a midpipe section . So its pretty much up to you and your budget .. If you got the extra buy a full unit.. but if you want affordability just get the catback and leave the midpipe stock .
+1 If you want volume, change out the rear/muffler. You're not going to get much volume from mids. If that is not loud enough, change the mids and then the DPs. I have the Berks and if installed correctly there will be no rattles. I want volume too as the 1M is very quiet on the track due to the turbos.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Hey guys, sorry if this is a noob question. Why can't one just do the cat delete on the mid pipe? wouldn't that be the same idea as maddad or n55 mid pipe?? :/
Appreciate 0