BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Smile Ordered a 128i coupe, Test drove an ActiveE

It'll be a couple months before I take delivery but while I was placing my order, I noticed the ActiveE out front. I asked for a test drive and they gave me the keys to test drive it by myself!

Big question: does it drive like a BMW. YES, yes it does but with a few changes you'll have to get used to.

It's got a lot of torque. I almost had to retrain my foot to be lighter on the "gas" pedal because the car takes off instantly. Steering response is excellent. The Alpine white trim with holographic-like decals is pretty cool.

The biggest difference is how quiet it is. Even when I mashed the pedal, all I could hear was a change in pitch as the car "whirred" its way towards 60 mph. Try to whistle by just blowing air without making the sound. It kind of sounds like that! The power band is incredibly smooth. Many BMW enthusiasts live for that iconic throaty engine sound. I'm curious as to what they'll think of a much quieter car.

The "engine" looks totally alien to me. What will happen to the tuner market if/when electric vehicles reach mass adoption? Can you even tune an electric car?

The braking is very very grabby. Much more than my Prius. I'm used to regenerative breaking but the sound is a little unnerving. Overall, it wanted to stay firmly planted to the road and the steering didn't feel "electronic" at all. The steering is quite heavy. I still felt like I was the pilot and thats key for a BMW.

I spent 15 minutes with him (I think of my cars as guys, not girls) and I can totally see myself taking him home. Unfortunately the limited range and long charge times make it just a pipe dream for now.

BTW, this is my first BMW. Hi everyone!

Last edited by tranism; 01-21-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranism View Post
What will happen to the tuner market if/when electric vehicles reach mass adoption? Can you even tune an electric car?
Oh yeah. Number 1 aftermarket part will probably be the speed controller, then of course batteries and even motors. Stronger wiring probably too and electronics that re-map the throttle. And of course suspensions always need updating and weight needs to be reduced....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Chris83JA
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 125i

Congrats on the order.

I'm very curious about the ActiveE.. How does it feel around corners - heavy, or still nice and agile like the regular 1's..?
Appreciate 0