BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #45
SparklingRed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i -> M135i -> M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by -satanic- View Post
My first mod for the 135i and I get stung just like many of you have... I have ordered hundreds of parts from o/seas all without hassle so I'm really feeling the pain on this one (still deciding if I should have known better).

Ordered a CF front splitter from Kerscher (Germany), paid around $450. Shipped by DB Schenker, freight to Sydney included in purchase price. Got a call today saying to clear it from customs, I'm up for $345 (or F'ING 80% of the initial cost?!?)

I've sent a furious email to Kerscher and pretty much put the ball firmly back into their court - it seems they use DB Schenker for everything so I'll let them sort it out with their buying power (rather than me as an individual)

If I end up having to pay the $345, I'll be so pissed off
Carshine in Melbourne quoted me for around $560 from memory...
Could have got it from them!
Good luck
      09-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #46
Looks
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 125i Coupe

Quote:
My first mod for the 135i and I get stung just like many of you have... I have ordered hundreds of parts from o/seas all without hassle so I'm really feeling the pain on this one (still deciding if I should have known better).

Ordered a CF front splitter from Kerscher (Germany), paid around $450. Shipped by DB Schenker, freight to Sydney included in purchase price. Got a call today saying to clear it from customs, I'm up for $345 (or F'ING 80% of the initial cost?!?)

I've sent a furious email to Kerscher and pretty much put the ball firmly back into their court - it seems they use DB Schenker for everything so I'll let them sort it out with their buying power (rather than me as an individual)

If I end up having to pay the $345, I'll be so pissed off
That sucks man.

I decided today to just bite the bullet and proceed with DB Schenker and not take it any further, as I really want my wheels.

Once they are customs cleared, I am going down there myself to pick them up so I don't incur any further local charges for delivery.

Oh well, at least I will know for next time to make sure prospective vendors are using USPS and the like to avoid this happening again...

Will report back with total costs.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

It's a real shame DB Shenker have pulled this stunt on so many of us. I'd like to expose them as I've never had any issues with any other freight companies but DB Shenker consistently rip people off!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #48
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Well I did a bit of reading on the matter and here are the facts:

- for all goods that are imported via air or sea freight, a SAC needs to be submitted to the Australian Customs before they will 'release' it, this is to ensure your goods do not have any taxes due on them and they are not made of any wood / plant material. If it's a prohibited good that you're importing then you'll need to demonstrate that you have proper authorizations to bring the item into the country.

- You and I can lodge a SAC, it's completely free.

- You and I can only lodge and SAC electronically, via their ICS system which requires a digital certificate (roughly $150)

- You and I have no idea how to use the system, or how to fill out each of the 100 forms available... enter the customs broker.

- A customs broker is an authorized and licensed person / business who is effectively helping you fill out forms. Depending on how greedy the company / individual is, this can be as cheap or expensive as you can imagine. Remember, all you are paying for is their time, there are no 'costs' involved in lodging an SAC.

- For those who have imported goods using a carrier (e.g. Qantas) directly, the pain stops here, for those who have chosen to (or had the option imposed on them) to use someone like DB Schenker, a freight forwarding company... please bend over, drop the pants and prepare to meet your maker.

- The freight forwarding company will charge you Port Fees, which it then uses to pay for its operational costs (rent, payment to intermediaries, etc) In summary, it's all the fees they charge you to take the package off the plane and bring it to their warehouse.

- Unfortunately, the Port Fees are company specific and do not follow any particular pricing structure other than response to competition. Provided the structure does not price them out of the market, then they are OK to charge whatever they want.

- The other downside is that the Port Fees (read Ransom) must be paid before they release the goods. You don't actually have title to the goods until this is cleared, as between the time your goods enter the country and get to your hands, they are 'in bond'.

- Port Fees could very quickly have Storage Fees added to them so be sure to act quickly.

I'm still learning whilst I'm dealing with this nightmare... but I have found that the cheapest guys to clear customs is through auspostcustoms.com.au

How I wish I knew this stuff earlier, the lesson is about to cost me a truckload. No word from Kerscher yet, but I'm hoping their contact with DB Schenker head office will net some results (at least to get the $200 port fee refunded)

Will keep you updated.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #49
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

good information up there - thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #50
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

I wil never use DB Schenker again. Incompetent, rude and greedy.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #51
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Well I did a bit of reading on the matter and here are the facts:

- for all goods that are imported via air or sea freight, a SAC needs to be submitted to the Australian Customs before they will 'release' it, this is to ensure your goods do not have any taxes due on them and they are not made of any wood / plant material. If it's a prohibited good that you're importing then you'll need to demonstrate that you have proper authorizations to bring the item into the country.

- You and I can lodge a SAC, it's completely free.

- You and I can only lodge and SAC electronically, via their ICS system which requires a digital certificate (roughly $150)

- You and I have no idea how to use the system, or how to fill out each of the 100 forms available... enter the customs broker.

- A customs broker is an authorized and licensed person / business who is effectively helping you fill out forms. Depending on how greedy the company / individual is, this can be as cheap or expensive as you can imagine. Remember, all you are paying for is their time, there are no 'costs' involved in lodging an SAC.

- For those who have imported goods using a carrier (e.g. Qantas) directly, the pain stops here, for those who have chosen to (or had the option imposed on them) to use someone like DB Schenker, a freight forwarding company... please bend over, drop the pants and prepare to meet your maker.

- The freight forwarding company will charge you Port Fees, which it then uses to pay for its operational costs (rent, payment to intermediaries, etc) In summary, it's all the fees they charge you to take the package off the plane and bring it to their warehouse.

- Unfortunately, the Port Fees are company specific and do not follow any particular pricing structure other than response to competition. Provided the structure does not price them out of the market, then they are OK to charge whatever they want.

- The other downside is that the Port Fees (read Ransom) must be paid before they release the goods. You don't actually have title to the goods until this is cleared, as between the time your goods enter the country and get to your hands, they are 'in bond'.

- Port Fees could very quickly have Storage Fees added to them so be sure to act quickly.

I'm still learning whilst I'm dealing with this nightmare... but I have found that the cheapest guys to clear customs is through auspostcustoms.com.au

How I wish I knew this stuff earlier, the lesson is about to cost me a truckload. No word from Kerscher yet, but I'm hoping their contact with DB Schenker head office will net some results (at least to get the $200 port fee refunded)

Will keep you updated.
That's good to know there are reasonable custom brokers out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #52
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Oh PS, the mob that I said was good charge $99 as their maximum fee with a 4 hour turnaround. In comparison, other companies were looking at $150?

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #53
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I wil never use DB Schenker again. Incompetent, rude and greedy.
What if the vendor you're buying off 1) insists, or 2) doesn't tell you who they use.

I made the rookie mistake of assuming the freight would be via mail

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #54
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

So I've settled... total of $343.64 in additional charges.

I'm so pissed off I even paid an additional $76.75 (bringing the new total to $420.39) just to have it delivered so I don't cause a scene at the DB Schenker warehouse.

I've never felt more ripped off in my life, $260 part ends up costing me $860 to get it to my door.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #55
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
So I've settled... total of $343.64 in additional charges.

I'm so pissed off I even paid an additional $76.75 (bringing the new total to $420.39) just to have it delivered so I don't cause a scene at the DB Schenker warehouse.

I've never felt more ripped off in my life, $260 part ends up costing me $860 to get it to my door.
you'll get over it, i did
hahahah

but you're right, it sucks. A LOT
      09-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #56
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

What happens at the Australian end when something is sent from the U.S by USP or USPS?
My understanding is customs will call for payment of duties and once paid the shipment then continues to the recipients address. Now having read some of the stories in this thread I am concerned for a large shipment of parts I have ordered.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #57
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
What happens at the Australian end when something is sent from the U.S by USP or USPS?
My understanding is customs will call for payment of duties and once paid the shipment then continues to the recipients address. Now having read some of the stories in this thread I am concerned for a large shipment of parts I have ordered.
Spot on - last time custom called me and told me to pay the import tax etc etc. Once that is done it will clear custom and will be delivered to you (was with fedex).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #58
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
if it was shipped as one lot with a declared value over $1000 you may incur charges.. if it was shipped as multiple seperate packages you "should" be ok with customs fees..
this thread is more about the "agents" assigned to the deliveries and their "fees" once the item has landed more so than ACTUAL customs charges (i.e. a TAX)

its a really fucked up system whose flaws have really only been exposed since we attained parity with the $USD

who did you ship with? if its via USPS i think it is a logical assumption to make that they wont f**k you too hard, or will at least use lube..
      09-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #59
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Spot on - last time custom called me and told me to pay the import tax etc etc. Once that is done it will clear custom and will be delivered to you (was with fedex).

Whew. I thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
if it was shipped as one lot with a declared value over $1000 you may incur charges.. if it was shipped as multiple seperate packages you "should" be ok with customs fees..
this thread is more about the "agents" assigned to the deliveries and their "fees" once the item has landed more so than ACTUAL customs charges (i.e. a TAX)

its a really fucked up system whose flaws have really only been exposed since we attained parity with the $USD

who did you ship with? if its via USPS i think it is a logical assumption to make that they wont f**k you too hard, or will at least use lube..
I am quite prepared to pay the necessary duties. My calculation is based on a 5% custom's duty on the value of the goods then GST calculated on the total of Goods value + 5% + shipping fees. Say around 16% total duties and sundry fees.

Shipped with UPS. Apparently USPS can be unreliable at times though I am often getting books from Amazon via them and they have never failed to deliver yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #60
Looks
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 125i Coupe

So I went down to DB Schenker's office this afternoon and picked up my wheels... Cost me $355.50 all up.

I found out why they charge so much too - it's to keep their employees in the building...

The side office, where my pick up was, literally sapped the life out of me!!! Dull, dirty, depressing, and heard an employee say this to a colleague 'seriously, if this is the same tomorrow, hang me by a noose and kill me...!'

Classy stuff all 'round ! Fuck you DB Schenker!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #61
130iWanted
Captain Slow
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive20D

There should be a term for this, getting Schenked...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #62
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
What if the vendor you're buying off 1) insists, or 2) doesn't tell you who they use.

I made the rookie mistake of assuming the freight would be via mail
1. You cancel your order and buy it from a better vendor, while explaining your reasons to both vendors.
2. You ask them

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #63
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It turns up at your door a few days later.

It has for me when I've ordered a set of wheels from Turner Motorsport and just recently when I ordered a GT3RS lightweight clutch kit for my 911. No one rang me about customs duties.

When they have on the odd occasion for duty, you give them a CC number and it gets released for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #64
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Just a warning that **********s also use Pilot Freight:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=45

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=47
      09-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #65
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
you'll get over it, i did
hahahah

but you're right, it sucks. A LOT
Yes, you are right... seeing the item helped!

Maybe once it's fitted, full recovery will only be a few stiff drinks away...

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #66
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Hmm what is that ??? CF Hood???
Appreciate 0