BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Bluetooth enabled e85 content analyzer

Updated!

What you see here is my ethanol content analyzer (ECA) solution. This is 100% compatible with the Fuel-it brand sensor installation kits.

This will allow you to read the data stream from the continental ethanol sensor and view the data in several different ways.

I'm offering several solutions starting with the ECA as a base package, and a few available add-ons for increased capability. All ECA's include a 12 volt USB power supply module to power the ECA and ethanol sensor, and USB cable. They also include two additional leads for future use (possibilities include activating a switch depending on ethanol content, power an additional display, etc. Contact me if you have a specific need), and have upgradeable firmware via USB.

New options incliude:

Basic ECA - my analyzer with a 0-5 volt output lead for use with JB4 (or any other display / ECU that uses a 0-5v input). This will display your ethanol content over pin 15 of the JB4 harness (typically used for meth flow). You can then view your ethanol content via gauge high jacking, over the JB4 mobile app, and it will be logged as well. The ECA is pre-wired with the correct compatible pin for installation in the JB4 harness, and has premium bullet interconnects for use with my harness.

Bluetooth add on - the same analyzer with the same functionality as above, plus the addition of a Bluetooth radio (Android compatible only at this time). This will allow you to view your fuel ethanol content, fuel temperature, sensor frequency, and sensor amplitude on your Android smartphone or tablet via text readout using a free app (Blueterm in the play store). I'm presently writing my own dedicated app, which will be release in semi-near future. This Bluetooth analyzer will be 100% compatible with it after a quick USB firmware update.

Harness kit - A full 8 foot 3-wire harness, using OEM style GT150 female connector for the continental sensor (completely weather sealed and soldered pins), loomed in factory style protection, heat shrink sealed every 1.5 feet, with premium heat shrink bullet style connectors for the ECA end. Also includes 6 premium zip ties to secure the harness.

I've added these options and lower, tiered pricing in my marketplace thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154355

...and of course, the mandatory pics!

Picture of the Basic ECA + Bluetooth and harness:

Here is a screenshot of JB4 mobile displaying ethanol content using JB4 pin 15:

Here's a picture of JB4 mobile next to ethanol content on the fuel gauge (gauge hijacking in JB4):

Here's a screen shot of my new dedicated app, showing ethanol content and fuel temperature!:

Harness connected to the continental sensor:

Harness run across the engine using the empty channel in the cowl wire carrier:

ECA installed and running in the DME box:

08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers

Last edited by str8shot; 09-04-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

That looks really cool! What is total cost?

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko226 View Post
That looks really cool! What is total cost?
See my thread in the marketplace for pricing: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post18311588

Made some code changes, and subsequently have the analyzer running with JB4 displaying E content over the meth gauge and logging, in addition to the bluetooth output:

0-5 volt output should allow for JB4 integration, provided that's their data acquisition methodology. This will also allow you to display ethanol content using one of the open inputs on a P3 gauge.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers

Last edited by str8shot; 07-30-2015 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Added a screenshot of my new Android app displaying ethanol content and fuel temp:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
alien2936
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

I just installed this kit yesterday and wanted to post my review in case anyone was on the fence.

There is a lot of thought that goes into the design of this new upgraded kit. The connections are idiot proof (different sized connectors for each adapter and to connect to the jb4). Everything is waterproof and doesn't look like corners were cut on materials. Everything was truly plug and play - took less than 30mins start to finish.

I only got the analyzer and connector to the jb4 - however I love that the setup is pre-wired if I want to add anything later (and also usb upgradeable). Again, time was clearly put into the design.

Aside from the fact that you're saving about half of the cost ($80 shipped versus $149+tax/shipping from fuel-it), I love the fact that I'm supporting a forum member doing his thing rather than a formal business. I feel fuel-it is a great business that brings cool n54 mods to market, but I'm more the kind of person that likes to support the ingenuity of new entries to market.

Finally, the customer service and support was top notch. I installed it yesterday and forgot to change the scaling on the methanol settings (jb4). I messaged str8shot before going to bed and woke up to a solution on how to set everything up properly.

Everything works great!!

Feel free to contact me if anyone is on the fence - str8shot is a stand up guy and I'm impressed with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

str8shot what about us without JB4? Can we use this on MHD?
      07-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
str8shot what about us without JB4? Can we use this on MHD?
Yes - you'd need the bluetooth option ($105) to read the content on your phone or tablet, or you could get the standard unit with the digital gauge option ($110).
Appreciate 0