BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
integra891
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Exclamation So my car stranded me today...

2011 135i DCT (build Oct 2010) only mods are PPK and Perf Exhaust

Filled up gas, pulling away from a stoplight, felt violent shaking, initially thought i was driving over rough road or that ruptured a tire, then i lost power, the assisted steering failed, on a major highway. I luckily was able to drift onto and down an onramp and to a side street safely. This happened at 745am. Called bmw roadside and surprisingly got a tow within 30-45 minutes so that was nice. Left the car with the tow guy and went to work (I had procedures to do and patients waiting so I couldnt stay with the car). Called dealership in advance to let them know car was coming. Car arrived at dealership at 1015am, got a call saying so. I called at 330pm and still no idea whats going on.

what do you think? Vanos bolt failure? From the description I have read, sounds almost like an HPFP failure. I guess we will see tomorrow.

Rented a car today, dealer said they couldnt provide a loaner until they knew what was going on and how long it was going to take to fix. Dealership is 45 minutes away from me anyways, so I needed immediate transportation. I guess I need to buy a "reliable" second car for these kinds of occasions.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

I wouldn't worry about buying a "reliable" car. These cars are very reliable.. and any other car could have random issues too. I'd just check this off as random, get it fixed and not worry about it. Let us know what the issue is.
      09-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like bad gas to me. When our car's experience a misfire... it feels like your driving on four square wheels! It's a very violent. Perhaps a bad injector or coil. But since you had just bought fuel... I'm thinking bad contaminated fuel. You might want to call that gas station and see IF they had any problems. Sometimes they put diesel in the wrong underground tank. IF that's the case, time to open a claim with your insurance company. But wait to see what your dealer says.

Btw... how many miles away from the gas station to where your car broke down?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
integra891
Private
Rep

it was less than one mile from the station, so i guess that could be it. hmm, i would have never thought, I always fill up at Shell stations, I thought they were "quality" gas. What kind of bad stuff can happen to the engine with contaminated gas? How would the dealer be able to figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra891 View Post
it was less than one mile from the station, so i guess that could be it. hmm, i would have never thought, I always fill up at Shell stations, I thought they were "quality" gas. What kind of bad stuff can happen to the engine with contaminated gas? How would the dealer be able to figure it out?
They will need to take a fuel sample. Less than a mile... sounds like 99% chance of bad/wrong fuel. I would inform the dealer of this. Also contact the gas station - maybe they will come clean. I am sure there were a bunch of cars dead on the road near that station today.

When the station gets a fuel delivery... sometimes a new driver mixes up the tanks and puts the wrong fuel into the (underground)gas station tanks. Sucks, but it happens.

On a direct injection car this will really be expensive to repair. Your looking at six new injectors($200 each), fuel pump(low pressure fuel pump: LPFP) inside the tank. LPFP has no replaceable fuel filter... so you would probably need a new LPFP. Then your shop gonna need to flush the fuel lines and check the HPFP. You might need a new HPFP too. This will run into the thousands. So... like I said... IF this is fuel related... contact your insurance company. I believe its covered under your comp insurance coverage.

Have the dealer document everything(photos and saved fuel samples) and proceed from there.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
integra891
Private
Rep

And the plot thickens...

Went to the gas station to ask if they had any issues and saw this on the pump. Talked to the clerk asked why no premium, they are servicing the filters. Told her i just filled up this morning and my car died on me, she gave me the main office number.

Will call dealer tomorrow to let them know. Dackel you were probably right on the ball.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
They will need to take a fuel sample. Less than a mile... sounds like 99% chance of bad/wrong fuel. I would inform the dealer of this. Also contact the gas station - maybe they will come clean. I am sure there were a bunch of cars dead on the road near that station today.

When the station gets a fuel delivery... sometimes a new driver mixes up the tanks and puts the wrong fuel into the (underground)gas station tanks. Sucks, but it happens.

On a direct injection car this will really be expensive to repair. Your looking at six new injectors($200 each), fuel pump(low pressure fuel pump: LPFP) inside the tank. LPFP has no replaceable fuel filter... so you would probably need a new LPFP. Then your shop gonna need to flush the fuel lines and check the HPFP. You might need a new HPFP too. This will run into the thousands. So... like I said... IF this is fuel related... contact your insurance company. I believe its covered under your comp insurance coverage.

Have the dealer document everything(photos and saved fuel samples) and proceed from there.

Dackel
Your the man Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra891 View Post
And the plot thickens...

Went to the gas station to ask if they had any issues and saw this on the pump. Talked to the clerk asked why no premium, they are servicing the filters. Told her i just filled up this morning and my car died on me, she gave me the main office number.

Will call dealer tomorrow to let them know. Dackel you were probably right on the ball.

Hahhh! Well... now we know.

I hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

took a whole 14 minutes to diagnose that, jesus. Good shit Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Probably will take the dealer 14 hours to figure out what's going on if the OP doesn't tell them ... LOL
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
coilpacks?
      09-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

I highly doubt running regular fuel as opposed to premium is going to make the car run that poorly. Maybe these cars are hyper sensitive, but with most performance cars you can get away with it (in the short term) if you aren't driving the car hard.

Last edited by Stvee; 09-26-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I highly doubt running regular fuel as opposed to premium is going to make the car run that poorly. Maybe these cars are hyper sensitive, but with most performance cars you can get away with it (in the short term) if you aren't driving the car hard.
I dont think it is an issue running regular.

pretty sure he filled up with premium, went back to the same gas station the next day and the premium/mid grade pumps were broken and his car broke down the day before.

Probably bad gas/incorrect gas put in the premium tanks below.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
TJ710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee
It probably wasn't just that non premo fuel got in there. Maybe diesel leaked in or particles from the underground tank caused the problem. I don't know what the filters do at gas stations but I'm guessing that was the problem
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Their premium tank probably got flooded with water, or filled with diesel. Have seen both happen.

Hopefully it's water. Drain tank and fuel system, fill with fresh fuel and a crap load of gas line antifreeze and off you go. Diesel? Not so much, real PITA to clean out, and usually means replacing the cats too. Luckily, it sounds like water, if it was diesel, it would have sort of run for a while, and belched out huge clouds of smoke.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I've mistakenly filled the tank on my n52 with regular and the car ran fine. I think it lost power but in normal driving I really couldn't swear it did. I know the turbo motor is different but I am also pretty sure it would run on regular, just with reduced power. The engine control should reduce ignition timing to avoid pinging but that should be the only effect. At the post there would be pinging but not an inability for the car to run.
      09-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

You can run our cars on regular just fine, premium is only Recommended.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
red914
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You can run our cars on regular just fine, premium is only Recommended.
This is from the manual of my 2009 N54.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hahhh! Well... now we know.

I hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated.

Dackel
Another primary reason why I keep visiting this site on a regular basis..

Thanks Dack..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1_2007 View Post
I dont think it is an issue running regular.

pretty sure he filled up with premium, went back to the same gas station the next day and the premium/mid grade pumps were broken and his car broke down the day before.

Probably bad gas/incorrect gas put in the premium tanks below.
The few times ive been in Maine and gotten stuck putting 91 in the tank my car has run horribly. And thats with fuel that the car should be able to run on.

I cant imagine what would happen if 87 ended up in the tank.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Their premium tank probably got flooded with water, or filled with diesel. Have seen both happen.

Hopefully it's water. Drain tank and fuel system, fill with fresh fuel and a crap load of gas line antifreeze and off you go. Diesel? Not so much, real PITA to clean out, and usually means replacing the cats too. Luckily, it sounds like water, if it was diesel, it would have sort of run for a while, and belched out huge clouds of smoke.
I hope I am wrong... but I think it was diesel that the gas station had filled in its tanks by the delivery fuel truck. Could also be that their water separator for their underground tanks went bad. I guess soon we will know.

@MightyMouseTech good tip about the cats. I would not have thought about that. IF the OP's car is an N54 thats four expensive cats to replace. N55 has only one.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

That is a sucky thing to have happen! If it turns out it was diesel I would explode their gas station (but that's just the terrorist in me.) This is ironic to mention, because I have always been filling up with Shell V-Power because of how awesome everyone says it is, and how shell is the official fuel of F1, etc. blah blah. I've even traveled very far out of my way to get Shell fuel sometimes. Over the last few weeks I'd been experiencing some misfires - changed plugs with no change. Then on a whim changed fuel to BP invigorate (which is actually Aamco fuel), and the car feels so much better versus the shell fuel, I'm left with some pretty solid motivation to never visit a shell station again, and then this story...

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0