BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
clausy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Pack

Power Performance Kit 'with FMC'

So I got my car back with the Power Performance Kit installed today

The worksheet says 'with FMC'. So just keep me sane and confirm that I didn't have the big 'Front Mounted Cooler' ?? in my lower intake last week. I was expecting it on the driver's side air duct. Is this something new?

I had to drive home on I-95 and it's dark now so didn't get too much time to play but initial impressions are yes it feels about 10% faster, 10% lighter, growls more and generally runs smoother. Gas mileage marginally better . Considering I got it for $1200 (long story), I'm not complaining at all. I will post more in the PPK thread, but seriously, that big lower cooler wasn't there before was it.

Apols for the dorky photo, it's dark outside and its the PBR effect. I'll try to take more pics tomorrow. Inside the engine I have the nice 'ACHTUNG Performance Kit installed too :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

ive never heard of an upgraded intercooler with the power package...nice if so, they prob used the x6 fmic if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
clausy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby135i View Post
ive never heard of an upgraded intercooler with the power package...nice if so, they prob used the x6 fmic if that is the case.
I don't think it's an intercooler or an oil cooler. I think it's for water. The sheet says 'replaced coolant'... Either way the BMW literature shows it over to the side, not at the front. That might explain why they put the original order on hold for a couple of months, because they redesigned it this way.

edit: the more pics I look at, the more cars I see with the radiator in the lower grille too... confused.

Last edited by clausy; 04-27-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I have this kit and as in the diagram by BMW it is in fact on the driver's side brake ducting. So if you guys are hoping for a DINAN CAI or something along those lines, you might want to think again before purchasing this tune. Don't be impatient like me as I got it as soon as it came out three months before DINAN released their intake. Don't get me wrong, I love the PPK, but I would have loved the sound coming from the DINAN kit and benefit of the carbon styling dressing up the engine bay. BMW, what's taking so long for redoing the strut brace for an N54 equipped car!!!
      04-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

I seem to remember when it came out it specifcally mentioned an additional oil cooler.
Great price! Care to share your secret? Price is what's holding me back right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
I seem to remember when it came out it specifcally mentioned an additional oil cooler.
Great price! Care to share your secret? Price is what's holding me back right now.
not an additional oil cooler. Your car should already have an oil cooler in the passenger side wheel well. The kit adds an additional water cooler (radiator) in the driver side wheel well.

The FMIC itself is not changed although the piping to it is replaced.

The PPK also adds a bigger fan and software to spin it faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Im really tempted to have the PPK installed. Anyone know how many hours the dealership quotes for an install?

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I think it is 4-4.5h for dealership install. But that doe snot include the software reprogramming that BMW says cannot be billed to warranty work. But...if they install the PPK and then load the software to fix an unrelated issue, then that is covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
Im really tempted to have the PPK installed. Anyone know how many hours the dealership quotes for an install?
I've asked informally and been told about $2K in parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Rico135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

My PPK is being installed right now. I have a friend that owns a body shop and I was able to get his parts discount. My dealer matched my buddy's discount. I'm paying:
Power kit $1,146, air duct $146 and install $1,000
Install is probably a little high but those are Beverly Hills costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
clausy
Private First Class
Rep

Thats a good price. Mine was 'cheap' because the dealer split the cost with me at 'invoice', believe what you want. I'm pretty happy with the install. The regular quote would be $3400 installed, East Coast.

The power upgrade is a nice bump, but not insane.

Also, I found the new radiator (behind the drivers side intake where it should be). So the radiator at the bottom of the center intake is what then - the oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Rico135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausy View Post
Thats a good price. Mine was 'cheap' because the dealer split the cost with me at 'invoice', believe what you want. I'm pretty happy with the install. The regular quote would be $3400 installed, East Coast.

The power upgrade is a nice bump, but not insane.

Also, I found the new radiator (behind the drivers side intake where it should be). So the radiator at the bottom of the center intake is what then - the oil cooler?
The oil cooler is on the passenger side. the intercooler is in the lower center. the new water cooler is on the driver side.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Rico135i
Private
Rep

The shop promised my car back today however my install is only the second one they have performed and there is a definite learning curve. The Beverly Hills dealer is owner friendly and I was able to see the work in progress. There are many things that need to be done such as relocating both horns and installing a spacer on the frame to hold the new air duct. There are also a few cable bundles and water hoses. The new fan is actually a new stronger two stage motor. The fan is the same size. The tech was helpful and explained the process. I have 30k miles and was due a full brake job. The tech said he would complete that while the software was downloading. Must be a HUGE program! I was surprised at the small size of the extra cooler. It is about 12in X 6in X 1in. Ill give it hard track day and see how it performs. My Aftermarket shop believes I will need a larger oil cooler. On a side note... they gave me a Z4 as a loaner OMG SUCH an odd vehicle to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Rico135i
Private
Rep

***UPDATE****
Took the shop guys coffee and donuts this morning. The software has been updated, water cooler installed, fan installed. He just has to figure out where to run one more water line. He said BMW instructions r crap. So no two installs will be exactly the same. The tech did promise me it will be finished today.
The Z4 is still odd...
Appreciate 0