BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Headlight Failure

Can someone please help me? My driver side light bulb is out, but it's not the bulb that's broken I've purchased a new D1S xeon bulb and that didn't fix the problem. Is it a fuse issue? The wire to the bulb looks fine so I don't think that's the problem.

I have LUX V4 angel eyes and I also have an adaptive error, I took off the cover and started the car up with the ballast just laying there so it would not interfere with the adaptive motor. So I'm pretty sure the motor is out... Does anyone know the PN for the adaptive motor? I've looked at ECS and real OEM and could not find anything. All I can find is the leveling arm.

I'm out of warranty, I really appreciate any bit of advice I can get.
COBB E30 | BMS DCI | BMS Charge Pipe | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | BMS OCC | BMS Low Temp Thermostat | BMS Angel Eyes | RB PCV Valve | Berk Street Exhaust | VRSF DP's | VRSF FMIC | BMW Performance Rotors Front/Back | BMW Performance SSK | Redline Fluids
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i

It sounds like its part number 14 in the diagram. It's your ballast. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=63&fg=05
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarshall
It sounds like its part number 14 in the diagram. It's your ballast. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=63&fg=05
I agree with this. Grab the part number on the link about and do an eBay search for them. They are WAY cheaper. I've bought and replaced these twice using eBay units and they work perfect as I think they are all off if salvaged cars. The crappy part is you have to remove the front bumper to replace this. Its not hard just a little bit if a pain. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I agree with this. Grab the part number on the link about and do an eBay search for them. They are WAY cheaper. I've bought and replaced these twice using eBay units and they work perfect as I think they are all off if salvaged cars. The crappy part is you have to remove the front bumper to replace this. Its not hard just a little bit if a pain. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I'll buy the eBay one, only $80. Much less than the OEM like you said ($430) that's crazy!

Any thought as to why my light bulb is out? This is my top priority...
COBB E30 | BMS DCI | BMS Charge Pipe | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | BMS OCC | BMS Low Temp Thermostat | BMS Angel Eyes | RB PCV Valve | Berk Street Exhaust | VRSF DP's | VRSF FMIC | BMW Performance Rotors Front/Back | BMW Performance SSK | Redline Fluids
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast1 View Post
Thanks guys! I'll buy the eBay one, only $80. Much less than the OEM like you said ($430) that's crazy!
Any thought as to why my light bulb is out? This is my top priority...
they just mentioned up above- if the ballast is out, the bulb lacks the power to turn on. replace the ballast and you may find the light output back in working order.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Maurzog
Rear Admiral ☆☆☆
Libya
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Stripper, 540iM-Sport

Any dampness in the headlight or around the ballast when you pulled it out of its socket?

Last edited by Maurzog; 09-24-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Any moisture that gets into the headlight can burn out the: Ballast, Footwel module(FW3) and or the circuit board inside the head light. It generally goes in that failure order.
Appreciate 0