BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Phone as a music source

I have a non-iDrive, non-nav car. And a mobile Windows phone.

I've tried all the things that are logical (to me anyway), but no luck getting music to play through the car. All the files are mp3 - so that's not the problem.

Are there any tricks - like the music files have to be in a particular part of the Windows file structure, or in a particularly named directory.

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

How are you connecting the phone? To the AUX Port? Or to the USB Port? The mobile phone would have to look like a USB drive to the AUX Port, which it probably can't.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

With the latest iphone software I can stream music via bluetooth to the cars sound system but can only control the volume with the iphone buttons. It does work but it is simpler to dump all your music onto a USB stick and leave it in the car.
      08-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
How are you connecting the phone? To the AUX Port? Or to the USB Port? The mobile phone would have to look like a USB drive to the AUX Port, which it probably can't.
I am trying to connect it via the USB Port. Is that right, or should I be using the AUX Port?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Ange25
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i coupe

I know that as part of the updates on the MY2010 produced cars about to be introduced, there will be an option available which is the introduction of extended connectivity of the music player in the mobile phone, i.e. software will allow you to play all your music files from your iPhone.

Option number 06NF

Not sure if you can have installed after production though???
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: LMB 118d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange25 View Post
I know that as part of the updates on the MY2010 produced cars about to be introduced, there will be an option available which is the introduction of extended connectivity of the music player in the mobile phone, i.e. software will allow you to play all your music files from your iPhone.

Option number 06NF

Not sure if you can have installed after production though???
Greetings from across the Tasman

Yes you need to order extended mobile phone connectivity (6NF)with you USB Audio Interface (6FL). This option has been offered in NZ for some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
With the latest iphone software I can stream music via bluetooth to the cars sound system but can only control the volume with the iphone buttons. It does work but it is simpler to dump all your music onto a USB stick and leave it in the car.
How do you do that? That would save me from pulling the phone out of my pocket!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
It can.

If you load your Windows Mobile with a SanDisk (or otherwise) card, usually it will give the option to read the card as a USB drive.

I'm not sure what the compatibility of the phone would be like, as well as accessing the music, but it could work.

Load your music onto a memory card (with ONLY music on that card - it won't work if you have photos or other files on it) and try that out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
It can.

If you load your Windows Mobile with a SanDisk (or otherwise) card, usually it will give the option to read the card as a USB drive.
Yes, but here the have the opposite situation. The phone must appear as a USB Drive to the car's USB port. In the same way, could you connect a notebook computer to the car's USB port and expect it to feed songs to the stereo? I doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
could you connect a notebook computer to the car's USB port and expect it to feed songs to the stereo? I doubt that.
Yes you can through an AUX port in the car's stereo.

Audio Out Line -> AUX = music from laptop.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Of corse, using the AUX port, however that is not what the OP was trying to do, his original question was using the USB Port. Anything, including an original SONY transistor radio from the 1950's with an headphone jack can play through the AUX Port.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Of corse, using the AUX port, however that is not what the OP was trying to do, his original question was using the USB Port. Anything, including an original SONY transistor radio from the 1950's with an headphone jack can play through the AUX Port.
I answered his questions directly - i specifically stated that if he moves all non-music files off his SD card and tries through that (playing music through WMP Mobile on his phone with the phone connected to the AUX port) it could work.

It was only a suggestion - so much for trying to help!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

And you did help. The answer to his first question - what he was trying to do with the phone - playing directly through the USB port won't work. You are right - he has to play the songs through the phone as if it were a music player via the AUX port. So - I am agreeing with you.

There is no way to take any device that is a windows mobile system, with an SD integrated or external and make it look like a USB device to the car's USB port.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:

There is no way to take any device that is a windows mobile system, with an SD integrated or external and make it look like a USB device to the car's USB port.
I didn't know this - I used to have an older HP XDA that operated on WM Platform. I used to be able to hook it up to my home stereo using an Aux cable from Headphone ----> AUX/Audio In.

Damn these new-fangled cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Ummmmm - I think I understand. Sorry if I'm a bit thick. Do I understand this correctly.

1. It is unlikely / impossible that I can play music from the phone via the USB port.

2. I MAY be able to play music if I connect via the AUX (Din) connector in the car to the headphone jack on the phone.

3. If i use 2. above, I may have to locate the muic on a MicroSD ('cause that's what my phone uses) card that only has music on it.

4. And if I do 2. & 3. above, it may or may not work, depending on other unknown variables.

5. If I do manage to get it to work, I would have to control the music from the phone, not the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

Whew! Do I have that right?

Thanks to all for your knowledge and help.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Ummmmm - I think I understand. Sorry if I'm a bit thick. Do I understand this correctly.

1. It is unlikely / impossible that I can play music from the phone via the USB port.

2. I MAY be able to play music if I connect via the AUX (Din) connector in the car to the headphone jack on the phone.

3. If i use 2. above, I may have to locate the muic on a MicroSD ('cause that's what my phone uses) card that only has music on it.

4. And if I do 2. & 3. above, it may or may not work, depending on other unknown variables.

5. If I do manage to get it to work, I would have to control the music from the phone, not the head unit or the steering wheel controls.

Whew! Do I have that right?

Thanks to all for your knowledge and help.

All correct - you picked it up quickly

#5 is where people fall apart and get angry. But yes, if you're playing through AUX with a program on the AUX unit (in this case your mobile phone), then you need to operate the music from the unit, you won't be able to do it from the car as the car doesn't have the interface to work with the WM platform.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
All correct - you picked it up quickly

#5 is where people fall apart and get angry. But yes, if you're playing through AUX with a program on the AUX unit (in this case your mobile phone), then you need to operate the music from the unit, you won't be able to do it from the car as the car doesn't have the interface to work with the WM platform.

Good luck!
Thanks again!

USB Stick - here I come.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
ryebred
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 aw coupe zmp

i have a winmo phone (htc touch - horrible -do not buy), but it does present me with the option to connect as activesync or usb storage when i connect it. you may look for 'pc connection' options to allow you to do so. i find that using the rss client allows me to download podcasts over the air and store on the aux memory card. this works rather nicely. cheers, and good luck.
Appreciate 0