BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I ManTransmission

Garage List
Another SEL thread

Got Service Engine Light come on this morning on way to work. Car ran normal (no power loss) but I noticed the revs are hanging when I lightly rev it. Didn't get any other indicator just the Service Engine light. Any insight guys? Only mod I have is a BMS intake that has been on car since February with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Did you try a code reader? You can take it to Autozone and have them read the codes for free, or buy a cheap OBD2 reader.
      10-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Did you try a code reader? You can take it to Autozone and have them read the codes for free, or buy a cheap OBD2 reader.

Good idea. I got a low coolant light also, it reset but I do need some on hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got back from Autozone with the following codes:

Front Oxygen sensor reading -0.2 (auto zone unsure of this reading).

Thanks for any insight
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Readers should show in format P####, so transposing to that format:
P2177 System too lean off idle, bank 1
P0300 is general misfires, P0303 and P0304 are cylinders 3 and 4 misfire

How many miles on the car? When was last service? Are you still under warranty? How old are your plugs? Are the the first owner? Do you know if the injectors have ever been replaced?

The Front O2 thing I would guess is a fuel trim value. Hard to tell if -0.2 is without a unit of measure. -0.2% is excellent, but if that is a factor it could mean 20% which is horrible. This is a tough one to really be sure about, but given P2177 is a lean reading I'm assuming this is indeed a fuel trim that's way off mark.

I'm guessing one or more injectors are failing. I would not be super sure it's actually cylinder 3 or 4 that is the issue. Injectors are pricey and require you have a special coding process done during install, and some part number changes require you change all 6 at once (~$1200 worth of injectors).

Spark plugs are relatively cheap and easy to replace. If you can take in-focus macro mode pictures of the ends of your spark plugs and post them we could look for evidence of a lean or rich running one.

It's definitely not good and I would try to avoid driving the car. If you're not experienced in some DIY service work and ready to dive in head first you may be better off taking it in to a qualified BMW service provider.

Last edited by Freon; 10-31-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm under warranty through 3/2015, 2nd owner. Is this type of thing covered under warranty? Car just broke 40k miles and last service was oil change a year ago. I was so ready to spend some cash on some mods over the winter and now I guess I'll be holding onto that cash until I'm in the clear. Thanks again for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
How many miles on the car? When was last service? Are you still under warranty? How old are your plugs? Are the the first owner? Do you know if the injectors have ever been replaced?
(Warning; inbound douchebag post)

Answer these questions before you take out a loan. Then we can adjust fire from there.

First of all I'm amazed you've survived for this long without walking in front of a train or something. Do you have a forum where you ask what to do with the brown stuff that comes out of your bottom?

If you can type a forum post then you can probably turn a wrench, and if you can turn a wrench, then you can probably do all of the basic maintenance required to get your car back to good working order. Do some reading and you'll see it's not the end of the world and you can probably solve these issues with less than $300 in parts and a few hours of your time.

Two things always amaze me. 1.) People who come onto a forum, post about symptoms they're experiencing, and ask what a CEL means when you KNOW the answer is to "go get the codes read." 2.) People who fail to perform basic maintenance on their cars, then want to modify them.

My brain hurts.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Give him a break, he replied back within hours of his original post with the codes...
      10-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
(Warning; inbound douchebag post)

Answer these questions before you take out a loan. Then we can adjust fire from there.

First of all I'm amazed you've survived for this long without walking in front of a train or something. Do you have a forum where you ask what to do with the brown stuff that comes out of your bottom?

If you can type a forum post then you can probably turn a wrench, and if you can turn a wrench, then you can probably do all of the basic maintenance required to get your car back to good working order. Do some reading and you'll see it's not the end of the world and you can probably solve these issues with less than $300 in parts and a few hours of your time.

Two things always amaze me. 1.) People who come onto a forum, post about symptoms they're experiencing, and ask what a CEL means when you KNOW the answer is to "go get the codes read." 2.) People who fail to perform basic maintenance on their cars, then want to modify them.

My brain hurts.

I'll admit I should have included more information in my inital post. I was just trying to get some information as I was at work and unable to attend to the issue. I was hoping someone would have had a similar issue to help shed light on it. I have plenty of experience working on motorcycles (clutches, carb rebuilds ect) I'll admit I'm a little hesitant to touch anything on the car (silly maybe). I understand where your coming from but is there a need to belittle forum members because they aren't as DIY with their car.
I will post findings after my visit to dealer and maybe a future forum member will get some insight if they run into the same issue before they can get it diagnosed.

Last edited by EGO_CHECK; 11-01-2014 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO_CHECK View Post
I'll admit I should have included more information in my inital post. I was just trying to get some information as I was at work and unable to attend to the issue. I was hoping someone would have had a similar issue to help shed light on it. I have plenty of experience working on motorcycles (clutches, carb rebuilds ect) I'll admit I'm a little hesitant to touch anything on the car (silly maybe). I understand where your coming from but is there a need to belittle forum members because they aren't as DIY with their car.
I will post findings after my visit to dealer and maybe a future forum member will get some insight if they run into the same issue before they can get it diagnosed.
The nature of the forum is because people try to "DIY". If you didn't care about D'ing it Y, you would T it to the Dealership and let them D it. You said you were hoping someone had a similar experience and could shed some light. Did you read the part where you said; "car ran normally"??

I mean for God's sake you're not a noob you have over 100 posts.
Eh whatever, good luck with the problem I hope it goes away.

BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
The nature of the forum is because people try to "DIY". If you didn't care about D'ing it Y, you would T it to the Dealership and let them D it. You said you were hoping someone had a similar experience and could shed some light. Did you read the part where you said; "car ran normally"??

I mean for God's sake you're not a noob you have over 100 posts.
Eh whatever, good luck with the problem I hope it goes away.

I was at work just trying to get some info before I could look at it. Like I stated I have rebuilt motorcycles from the ground up (fork conversions, card rebuilds, rewiring harnesses, clutch installs, repacking bearings, swing arm conversions) I can turn a wrench but I'm not as warm to touching the car yet. I appreciate the input I have received thus far. I will post what it turns out the issue was and hopefully this post will be useful to someone else in future.

Last edited by EGO_CHECK; 11-01-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO_CHECK View Post
I was at work just trying to get some info before I could look at it. Like I stated I have rebuilt motorcycles from the ground up (fork conversions, card rebuilds, rewiring harnesses, clutch installs, repacking bearings, swing arm conversions) I can turn a wrench but I'm not as warm to touching the car yet. I appreciate the input I have received thus far. I will post what it turns out the issue was and hopefully this post will be useful to someone else in future.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #13
JimUlrich135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135is

Quote:
Readers should show in format P####, so transposing to that format:
P2177 System too lean off idle, bank 1
P0300 is general misfires, P0303 and P0304 are cylinders 3 and 4 misfire

The Front O2 thing I would guess is a fuel trim value. Hard to tell if -0.2 is without a unit of measure. -0.2% is excellent, but if that is a factor it could mean 20% which is horrible. This is a tough one to really be sure about, but given P2177 is a lean reading I'm assuming this is indeed a fuel trim that's way off mark.

I'm guessing one or more injectors are failing. I would not be super sure it's actually cylinder 3 or 4 that is the issue. Injectors are pricey and require you have a special coding process done during install, and some part number changes require you change all 6 at once (~$1200 worth of injectors).

Spark plugs are relatively cheap and easy to replace. If you can take in-focus macro mode pictures of the ends of your spark plugs and post them we could look for evidence of a lean or rich running one.

It's definitely not good and I would try to avoid driving the car. If you're not experienced in some DIY service work and ready to dive in head first you may be better off taking it in to a qualified BMW service provider.

This guy is right on here ^^^

Schedule an appointment at bmw, have them diag it.
I'm sure its one or two or three of these things: injector/s, coil/s, spark plug/s. Depending on the year and mileage, if one or even more of those components haven't been replaced, that's typically the issue with misfire faults. Coils, injectors, plugs and even hpfp have been know to go bad before 100k miles on our cars.
If you have a factory warranty, BMW will cover all repairs, CPO, different story depending on the repair plus a deductible..the sa should have all the info regarding your warranty and what will be covered.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
EGO_CHECK
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimUlrich135 View Post
This guy is right on here ^^^

Schedule an appointment at bmw, have them diag it.
I'm sure its one or two or three of these things: injector/s, coil/s, spark plug/s. Depending on the year and mileage, if one or even more of those components haven't been replaced, that's typically the issue with misfire faults. Coils, injectors, plugs and even hpfp have been know to go bad before 100k miles on our cars.
If you have a factory warranty, BMW will cover all repairs, CPO, different story depending on the repair plus a deductible..the sa should have all the info regarding your warranty and what will be covered.
I reinstalled the factory air box and 2 days later the light went out. I have an appointment for the Vanos recall for 11/14 and I plan on having them look it over while it's there just incase something is going bad. Car has run fine the whole time, pulls strong no stuttering or symptoms of a problem. I'll post what the dealer has to say about it after my visit. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

Bro, put the air box back on, bring that ish to the dealer. Get your new parts and drive a loaner for a few days. That's why you have a car with a warranty so you don't need to deal with this shit. Now that my warranty is up I am envious of cases like this.