BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport

Driving school in Toronto?

Looking for a cheap or reasonably priced track driving school for next summer. If you've been somewhere let me know your experience!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Me too! But I was googling and BMW has some schools that go up to mosport. There are also independent schools around. Google solo 1 racing Toronto and I'm sure some will come up with a school
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I would strongly recommend the BMW Club of Canada, Trillium Chapter.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirthernDancer
I would strongly recommend the BMW Club of Canada, Trillium Chapter.
How much I cab check on line but still asking
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If you want to drive a little further, the Motorsport Club of Ottawa (www.mco.org) has a few driving schools every year at Calabogie. Great track. A lot less intimidating than Mosport, which is the highest average speed track in all of North America. Although, not sure how many lapping day type events will go on the big track anymore, as it is being fixed up as a more professional race series only track. Luckily, the Driver Development Track (DDT) is getting rebuilt right now, geared more for teaching.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info!

Has anyone done a driving school at mo sport of Cayuga!?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I've tracked at Cayuga before. Pretty safe track. No walls and a lot of run off. Don't know if there are driving schools there though
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

I have experience with the following:

1) Absolute best value for money is the CASC-OR Time Attack school if you are looking for thorough and very technical training, potentially but not necessarily leading to competition in Time Attack. Attendees cover a large automotive demographic but are exclusively keeners who actually want to learn to drive better on a track:

May 3 & 4 at the CTMP (Mosport) DDT track
July 5 at the CTMP (Mosport) Big Track

http://www.casc.on.ca/timeattack

2) Apex provides expensive but very well run track days with good classroom instruction and exceptional in-car instruction on the Big Track. Attendees drive very nice cars and expect to take them home in one piece. Instructors generally have an extensive racing background.

http://apexdriving.ca/

3) ILR Car Control School runs a variety of schools including track schools at the DDT and occasionally at Shannonville (near Belleville, ON). Schools have a wide vehicle demographic and very good technical content with a combination of classroom and on-track. ILR occasionally runs events for BMW Grand River. That event will be almost exclusively for BMW or Mini vehicles. ILR track day attendees are generally looking for a safe well run track day experience as opposed to a jump right away to Time Attack competition.

http://www.carcontrolschool.com/

4) The last few years Endras BMW has run a track school at Shannonville, with the North and South tracks being split between cars and motorcycles. Not sure what their plans are for 2014. The event is catered and well run but a bit expensive. Many of the attendees will be first timers. For others returning drivers, this will be the only track event of the season. In other words, the demographic is mostly people with nice cars who want to experience them on the track but with no competitive aspirations.

Contact Endras for their plans, but here is a teaser from a past event:

5) Duncan Johnson runs occasional track days, some of which provide instruction. These are word of mouth events with a heavy BMW presence. They are well run and good value, but it really isn't a school. Newbies will be given one on one instruction to bring them up to speed but the emphasis is generally on providing lapping opportunities to experienced lappers. If you want to get on the email list, contact Duncan at East Metro Auto Leasing, Toronto.
O 416 293 3077 258

For a taste of the action showing some instructor lapping on the old DDT:

6) Various of the local car clubs run track days and provide instruction to new lappers. I suggest in particular the Oshawa Motor Sports Club because their members cover a wide demographic from auto slalom to lappers to Time Attack competitors to Ice Race to Regional Road Racers. Membership in a club like that is a good way to find out what is going on locally at a driving level of interest to you. Their lapping days provide instruction to newbies. Their lapping day demographic covers everything from daily drivers to regional race cars but the lapping groups will be separated by speed and experience level.

http://www.oshawamotorsportclub.com/

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx

1) Absolute best value for money is the CASC-OR Time Attack school if you are looking for thorough and very technical training, potentially but not necessarily leading to competition in Time Attack. Attendees cover a large automotive demographic but are exclusively keeners who actually want to learn to drive better on a track:

2) Apex provides expensive but very well run track days with good classroom instruction and exceptional in-car instruction on the Big Track. Attendees drive very nice cars and expect to take them home in one piece. Instructors generally have an extensive racing background.

3) ILR Car Control School runs a variety of schools including track schools at the DDT and occasionally at Shannonville (near Belleville, ON). Schools have a wide vehicle demographic and very good technical content with a combination of classroom and on-track. ILR occasionally runs events for BMW Grand River. That event will be almost exclusively for BMW or Mini vehicles. ILR track day attendees are generally looking for a safe well run track day experience as opposed to a jump right away to Time Attack competition.

4) The last few years Endras BMW has run a track school at Shannonville, with the North and South tracks being split between cars and motorcycles. Not sure what their plans are for 2014. The event is catered and well run but a bit expensive. Many of the attendees will be first timers. For others returning drivers, this will be the only track event of the season. In other words, the demographic is mostly people with nice cars who want to experience them on the track but with no competitive aspirations.

5) Duncan Johnson runs occasional track days, some of which provide instruction. These are word of mouth events with a heavy BMW presence. They are well run and good value, but it really isn't a school. Newbies will be given one on one instruction to bring them up to speed but the emphasis is generally on providing lapping opportunities to experienced lappers. If you want to get on the email list, contact Duncan at East Metro Auto Leasing, Toronto.
O 416 293 3077 258

6) Various of the local car clubs run track days and provide instruction to new lappers. I suggest in particular the Oshawa Motor Sports Club because their members cover a wide demographic from auto slalom to lappers to Time Attack competitors to Ice Race to Regional Road Racers. Membership in a club like that is a good way to find out what is going on locally at a driving level of interest to you. Their lapping days provide instruction to newbies. Their lapping day demographic covers everything from daily drivers to regional race cars but the lapping groups will be separated by speed and experience level.

I hope this helps.
Can't wait to read this in detail tomorrow! Thanks for taking the time to put that together man!! I owe you a beer!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx

O 416 293 3077 258

I hope this helps.
You are the best. I'm familiar with casc but none of the others!

Thanks for the detail. I really also appreciate it. Maybe I'll see you at one of these SDS135.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0