BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Should they call it an M1
Yes, do it!! 27 36.49%
Hell no!! 47 63.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

02-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #23
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Funny, I thought the M3 competed with the RS4?

Good luck seeing those power levels. Did you even consider the ramifications of that situation?
of course but im just saying that M1 would have to be faster/badder then a 135. And if its the same engine then BMW should just call it a 135m or something. Maybe beef up the body kit, etc...aka the Tii. without a bigger engine then no M1. If BMW feels it is necessary to introduce an M1 then they better be prepared to engineer a new engine and really hope people will spend the 50K on a car that really has no audience yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #24
Corsis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 98 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
the point of an M car it to have the biggest baddest engine of the lineup. the 135 has the fit and finish of an M car already....

pump that car up to 350-400hp and then your talking. an M1 would have to compete with an RS4 or something like that
An M car is so much more than a bigger engine. Matter of fact look at the E36 M3, the US didnt even get the traditional high revving I-6 with individual throttle bodies, yet ask most enthusiasts and racers and its there car of choice. Even with a different engine the car is still one hell of an M car, mostly to its suspension and handling characteristics. Little things that people don't see are different.

They dont simply take a 1 series drop in an Sxx engine and then say bam, there ya go an ///M
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Recalling my BMW Performance Driving Experience, the biggest difference, in my mind, with the M Cars is the suspension tuning, including high performance i.e., Non-Run-Flat tires.

The BMW performance Driving Experience included the following vehicles [October 2007].
  • M5
  • M6
  • M Coupe
  • 335i Sport
  • Racing Karts
Yes, the M Engines pull strongly, but so does the 335i.

The biggest difference on the track was the suspension/tire setup.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
oldschoolhondafan
Rep
Drives:

personally, the big thing most of us would care about having in an m1 would be a good rugged engine that makes good power. I lean towards them reincarnating the e46 m3 motor, straight 6 that used to make 333hp and coming up with an updated setup that makes 340-350hp. It also will need to scream to around 8600 rpm, preferably 9k to be really cool. personally though, for a daily driver, i'd rather save my money and just chip a 135i. I am not sure if a m1 with the above characteristics will be highly sought after. obviously, it would weight 60-150lbs less via some carbon fiber usage and have a true LSD also. I hope they do make it though, just because I like seeing cool stuff but I fear the success of the m1 program if they do. I think the strength of the 1 series is that it is just at the top of the price range most middle class families are able to obtain. Not everyone in the US makes 60k or more. most make substantially less. the people that would normally look towards a evo or sti, or even an acura rsx type s, or vw r32 will be tempted to test drive the 135i. once they do, i think you know what will happen. the choice of bringing the 135i into the states at under 35k for bmw was genius. I suggest investment in bmw stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #27
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

If I were influencing decisions at BMW, I would hold off on any performance 1er until the model is well established - definitiely not in the first MY.

The M1 would have to be the essence of BMW performance - and not just a smaller, more affordable M3. While design-to-cost may have been a priority for making the 1er an entry-level BMW, the M1 should not be bound by that. Done correctly, an M1 based on the 1er could be about all-out performance: aggressive ground effects; uncompromising suspension with LSD and slight oversteer bias; lighter weight; and something like 340 bhp. Even different body panels, with more aggressive wheel arches etc. a la E36 M3. It should merit an M3 price point.

Done correctly, it could epitomize BMW performance and could be a halo car, despite it's link to the entry-level model. The 1er is the new direction for BMW. 750iL and 545i are things of the past. Even the 3 Series is barely grasping to it's roots as a peformance 2+2.

But like I said, the 1er needs to establish itself, get credibility in the market on it's own merit, and then serve as the basis for an M car that will not only deserve the M1 moniker, but will re-write "BMW M" in a way that is fresh and distinct from the M3, M5, M6 and the M Z4.

Should they call it an M1? Hell ya. But it better deserve it...
      02-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Should they call it an M1? Hell ya. But it better deserve it...
exactly!!! i am all for another M car BUT so far as long as i can remember an M car was a car that was not only exclusive but a performance beast. Today the whole BMW lineup follows that standard but the M cars still fascinate the public. That being said, an M1 would have to seriously impress!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #29
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Hell no...
Appreciate 0