BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #133
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

haha! i remember when that first hit the suby boards. At least it sounds cool. The anti lag system gives you minimal lag, but it still needs a good awd system to be able to do that. That's what i was trying to show.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #134
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
The anti lag system gives you minimal lag, but it still needs a good awd system to be able to do that.
You forgot to mention that it severely cuts short the life of your turbo...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #135
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

yes yes. But some turbos are more resistant to the heat. espeically ones with oil and coolant lines running through. And add an oil cooler on top of that, and it'd be a long time before you over heat the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #136
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
as to the above comment. People refer to the new STi as more subtle and mature is more due to the up in quality of the interior. While the exterior does not have "coffee can exhaust" (the one you saw was probably the WRC car) or that big of a wing (WRC car again). the wide body panels are a definite plus and adds to the muscular look of the car, not necessarily boy racer. The gold wheels can be swapped for silver, the scoop has always been there and these are a lot more subtle than the 04-07 STi's. The rear tails can be tinted, and i dont see a problem with the diffuser. People seem to take one look at the car and not give it another chance. Personally, im gonna have to drive both the 135i and the sti before i decide. Since, buying a car should be how the car drives first, and looks second.

And as for the STi not being able to handle in snow:

this is all i have to show.
Nope saw both version stock and WRC versions.

And yes the exhaust was big, looked like I could fit my whole fist in it.

The tail lights are just so ricer, why did they use clear tail lights, that fad is long gone.

No sh*t the wide body and scoops are functional, that doesn't mean they don't look boy-racer. This is what the car is, a road version rally race car.

I spent a lot of time at the show looking at both the EVO and Sti, the EVO styling looked a lot better more mainstream, but the weight figures of the EVO are troubling for a 4-cylinder.

I think the hatch has been introduced because its more suited to go racing in the WRC. Loeb has been kicking their ass for a while now in the Citroen hatch.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #137
FuzzyMD
Rep
Drives:

edmunds's full test:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...8/pageNumber=1
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #138
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Nope saw both version stock and WRC versions.

And yes the exhaust was big, looked like I could fit my whole fist in it.

The tail lights are just so ricer, why did they use clear tail lights, that fad is long gone.

No sh*t the wide body and scoops are functional, that doesn't mean the don't look boy-racer. This is what the car is, a road version rally race car.

I spent a lot of time at the show looking at both the EVO and Sti, the EVO styling looked a lot better more mainstream, but the weight figures of the EVO are troubling for a 4-cylinder.

I think the hatch has been introduced because its more suited to go racing in the WRC. Loeb has been kicking their ass for a while now in the Citroen hatch.
if you search for 08 STi pictures on the net. YOu can see they have quad exhaust. So there's no way you can fit your hand in it. The WRC version has dual exhausts which are pretty cool looking in my opinion.

And as for the rest, your entitled to your own opinions, but the fenders and scoop does not give it a boy racer look and i think many will agree. It's like saying the porsche rear fender flares gives it a boy racer look.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #139
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

its grown a lot on me. its less boy racer than it used to be, but its not bmw maturity

boy racer or not, this makes me feel like i'm in the wrong lane
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #140
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

One of the biggest things that scares me about the STI/EVO/GT-R is how sophisticated the electronics have become and how that affects reliability over time. Theres something about a simple FWD and RWD set up that gives me peace of mind.
      12-05-2007, 12:59 AM   #141
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
One of the biggest things that scares me about the STI/EVO/GT-R is how sophisticated the electronics have become and how that affects reliability over time. Theres something about a simple FWD and RWD set up that gives me peace of mind.
+1 on that - but while the 1 series may not have all those differentials to break down, it's got its own complex systems that could have their own gremlins. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #142
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
+1 on that - but while the 1 series may not have all those differentials to break down, it's got its own complex systems that could have their own gremlins. Time will tell.
Thats why you pass on the idrive, one less electonic gizmo to f-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #143
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

In addition to the Edmunds' test linked above, here are some more reviews...
-Motor Trend's Full Test: 2008 Subaru WRX STI
-TCC Road Test: 2008 Subaru WRX STI
-MotiveMag reviews the 2008 Subaru WRX STI
-Popular Mechanics reviews the 2008 Subaru WRX STI[/b]

3356lbs according to MT (3373lbs as tested by TCC...familiar weight), 3395lbs curb weight according to Subaru
0-60: 4.8
1/4 mi: 13.3 seconds at 102.3 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #144
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This thread is an interesting read/scan. I am nearly sure I will be pulling the trigger on a 1er ED + PCD. That's reason enough to get the car IMO. Even if I will have to pay ED MSRP due to the allocation dictate.

I have a heavily modified 2005 WRX as a weekend and sometime track car and it is fast as hell, turns in so hard and tight your nose will bleed, and has been an all around amazing car to work on, own, drive, etc.

But its loud. It makes noises that I like, and my 10 year old son who helped me build the car likes, but we are the only two who do :/ Loud boy racers (etc.) constantly want to race me. Mustangs, EVOs, teh F3star Neons, etc. Even once a 335...That's what the track is for boys.

It's been great fun, but ever since the 1er has been introduced by BMW I have been thinking about it.

I will be selling the Subaru and buying a 1er for sure.

The noises (etc.) have told me to do it.

pic of said car...it will be sad to see it go
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #145
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I don't know, I'm guessing it will be pretty tight. Previous year STi's did 0-60 in around 4.7 and the 1/4 in just at or above 13, and this one is allegedly lighter and has a boost in power.

What are the 335i's respective times, for comparison's sake?
Both the new evo and the new STI are reportedly slower than the previous gen models. Don't have a link but I suspect others can second this.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #146
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
Both the new evo and the new STI are reportedly slower than the previous gen models. Don't have a link but I suspect others can second this.
The Evo X is slower in a straight line. I believe the STi is the same as the previous model.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #147
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
The Evo X is slower in a straight line. I believe the STi is the same as the previous model.
but a good bit faster through the slalom.

I just can't get used to the fender flares on the hatch thing though. Don't get me wrong, I am sure the new STI will be a strong performer, but I am just ready to move on.

Alpine White here I come (hopefully sometime in the near future BMW allocation people...)

- Jim new_one
"All human interaction is mathematics and politics."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #148
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
yes yes. But some turbos are more resistant to the heat. espeically ones with oil and coolant lines running through. And add an oil cooler on top of that, and it'd be a long time before you over heat the turbo.
(delayed response, i know.. took a break)

While heat plays a factor, i think what causes the most damage is the pressure spikes caused by the unburnt gas igniting in the turbine..:iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #149
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
The STi has lost a step as well. Taller gearing. They have been trapping around 100 now, as opposed to the 103+ seen before.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #150
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Well, i finally did it today I contacted my dealer to order a 135i after about 7 months of trying to decide between 5 different cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #151
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Well done and congratulations, now why the , you should be :biggrin:
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #152
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Well done and congratulations, now why the , you should be :biggrin:
I am happy, it's just a little bittersweet. I love Subaru. I've driven WRXs, STIs, and XTs for the last 7 years, so I'm heading into unfamiliar territory.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #153
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I am happy, it's just a little bittersweet. I love Subaru. I've driven WRXs, STIs, and XTs for the last 7 years, so I'm heading into unfamiliar territory.
You will not be disappointed...... I went for a test drive in a 335i this afternoon, OMF I have not stopped :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: since I got home.

What specs did you take and when do you expect to take delivery?
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #154
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

I'm in the same boat, I've stuck with my suby for the past 4 yrs. It was really hard to decide but the pricing of the new Sti and my advancing status and needs has pointed me to the 135i
Appreciate 0