BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Clear
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Sand!

I'm currently on the west coast of Ireland and there is a very significant storm going on outside. Went outside to check on the 135 and found that there is a lot of sand in the air which is building up inside the wheels and around the mirrors.

Question - is there anything I should be worried about tomorrow before starting it? Obviously I'll wash the sand away from the wheels etc, but is anything else critical?

Keeping in mind I'm not near a garage, so its really only 'must do's' I'm thinking of.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear View Post
I'm currently on the west coast of Ireland and there is a very significant storm going on outside. Went outside to check on the 135 and found that there is a lot of sand in the air which is building up inside the wheels and around the mirrors.

Question - is there anything I should be worried about tomorrow before starting it? Obviously I'll wash the sand away from the wheels etc, but is anything else critical?

Keeping in mind I'm not near a garage, so its really only 'must do's' I'm thinking of.

Thanks
Can you get hold of a generic cover from a local store?
If not try to get a duct tape and a cloth and cover the kidney grill's and the exhaust tips.I am not sure if this would prevent sand getting into the air vents and the engine air intake openings.Park the car close to a wall.

I am in no means an expert.Just wild guessing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear View Post

Thanks
Can you get hold of a generic cover from a local store?
If not try to get a duct tape and a cloth and cover the kidney grill's and the exhaust tips.I am not sure if this would prevent sand getting into the air vents and the engine air intake openings.Park the car close to a wall.

I am in no means an expert.Just wild guessing.
Too late on the car cover. You would need to carefully wash the car before putting the cover on.
      12-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Ubersmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'd put a rag in the exhaust pipes, make sure all windows are closed, park next to a wall if possible, put a rag over the kidneys just so it doesn't get all over your engine. This is just what I would do, I don't have experience with this
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Dsregard all the above. At this point if the sand storm has already begun you simply have to ride it out. Adding water or tape or cloth or a cover at this point will only scratch the paint or cake the sand on it.

First note, there is nothing you have to worry about when cranking the car. The cars most intrigal parts are protected from this kind of issue with things like seals around the doors and trunk. Just make sure you have your windows all the way up.

Second note, The engine is protected by an air filter which sand will not penetrate. As for the exhaust which is the only other port into the vehicles engine you are protected by a muffler. it have little cones that the sand would have to blow through in a back and forth motion to make it through that and even if it did it would have to make it past the cats which are made of a small amount of platinum and specially designs chambers which are very tiny and hen even if the sand got there it gets super heated (almost red hot). sand has no chance in getting passed this device.

Now that we covered what is self protected let's talk about how to prevent any damage by human intervention or lack there of.

1. Vacuum any loose dirt out of crevasses and valleys on the vehicle. Under the bonnet, boot and doors.

2. Do immediately wash the car after the storm and before you drive it. failure to do so could cause micro scratches on the finish where one part meets another such as around those rubber seals etc. open the doors, bonnet and boot and wipe down all the surfaces with a damp rag and if the area is drainable then I simply use a water hose and very little stream of water to allow the water to flush the debris off the vehicle. The rule of thumb is dont get your carpet wet. so if there is carpet anywhere in the vehicle it is meant to stay dry at all times, for these areas a vacuum and damp cloth will do.

3. I would also vacuum out the intake filter area by opening it up like you were going to replace the filter and using a simple vacuum vac it out. Also when you go to replace the filter later i would wipe it down with a damp shop towel.

4. Never ever just apply soap and a wash cloth to your car to wash it, this is the way many people get those micro scratches. Just use a water hose first, rinse off any sand that you can and cannot see from the paint then wash the exterior really well with soap and rag.

5. dry it with a good shammy

6. wax and buff any areas that you have concerns with such as areas that may have been scratched. (Hopefully you dont need this step)

7. Drive the dickens out of that thing and have fun.

Remember you will be fine.

Last edited by rking117; 12-27-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0