BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #23
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Most people would call what you just described as a negative and not a positive. The stock thermostat is always a little open to ensure oil cycles out of the oil coolers. The "improved racing oil thermostat" does this too, but it is expensive.

I don't think I would want my oil sitting idle in my oil cooler emulsifying and then all the sudden when 90c is reached that cold and water laden oil starts getting injected into the hot oil flow... and into the motors bearings.
All aftermarket plates still let some oil circulate.

I'm very interested in the ER Sport setup, I think that will serve my needs. As my DD and occasional HPDE/AutoX car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKilgore View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "oil sitting idle in my oil cooler emulsifying". Can you elaborate? What is the oil mixing with to be emulsified?
Failing to emulsify since it's not being mixed? I think you know what I mean I just don't know the proper verbiage. Water/contaminates in the oil will separate if the oil is not getting circulated and heated to burn it off. Then that cold oil gets injected into the motor once the thermostat opens along with a pool of water. Hence why maintaining a small amount of flow through the core is ideal.

You're right though that Mishimoto does state generically that "A small percentage of fluid is actually circulating to the cooler, which is mandatory for proper/safe operation."

I see now that he was comparing the Mishimoto to a "low-temp" thermostat rather than the STOCK thermostat. My mistake I miss-read that.

Seems like a waste to me to run a block-off plate and an external thermostat if you're just going to use the stock thermostat temp of 210f. That was why I mainly replied. You can just buy a $20 adapter. Then you can plumb any number of coolers in series you want off the stock thermostat. If you want to run 2 identical capacity coolers in parallel, the stock thermostat can be used for that too using the same adapters.

Last edited by bbnks2; 04-04-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #25
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Ok, yes I see what you're saying now. Separation of the oil and water as it sits, not emulsification of it (which is mixing of two components). Thanks for elaborating.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #26
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Turbos are getting swapped tomorrow, new 34 row cooler is going in Friday and I'll be testing at Buttonwillow Sat/sun if all goes well.
      04-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #27
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Turbos are getting swapped tomorrow, new 34 row cooler is going in Friday and I'll be testing at Buttonwillow Sat/sun if all goes well.
geez, you don't F around at all.

I like it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #28
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Quote:
geez, you don't F around at all.

I like it!
CSF radiator will be arriving Friday too I will probably test the car with just the new oil core Saturday and then swap the CSF in after my last session and get logs Sunday with it in there.

This is ALL assuming my turbo swap is done by then. Think I'm sticking with OEM snails. Haven't fully decided yet though.
      04-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
CSF radiator will be arriving Friday too I will probably test the car with just the new oil core Saturday and then swap the CSF in after my last session and get logs Sunday with it in there.

This is ALL assuming my turbo swap is done by then. Think I'm sticking with OEM snails. Haven't fully decided yet though.

Those that Rob Beck has seem to be the best reliable option, for the money.
I have not heard anything bad about Pure's upgrades.
Tony, it's Tony. Can you really trust him? (I really like the look of the single bottom mount though)
Turbo Lab, seems pretty honest but no good data out there.
MMP, really poor track record for various things.
Frankenturbo, 1 step below Tony IMO.

Your choice has to be made per class rules, and I don't know what those are.
Second has to be cost of repair/replace. Stock win out for this every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #30
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to get some thoughts and experiences from you guys on hitting limp mode. I've got my first track day in the 135i coming up in a month and I am trying to figure out if I need to install an oil cooler so I don't hit limp mode. My car is stock, but does have the factory M-sport oil cooler. I'm expecting it to be in the 80s in June in Kentucky. 20 minute sessions.

So basically, what are my chances of hitting limp-mode and is an oil-cooler the best place to start to avoid that? From what I've seen it is, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #31
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Wanted to get some thoughts and experiences from you guys on hitting limp mode. I've got my first track day in the 135i coming up in a month and I am trying to figure out if I need to install an oil cooler so I don't hit limp mode. My car is stock, but does have the factory M-sport oil cooler. I'm expecting it to be in the 80s in June in Kentucky. 20 minute sessions.

So basically, what are my chances of hitting limp-mode and is an oil-cooler the best place to start to avoid that? From what I've seen it is, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Have you ever driven on track before? If not, then for your first several days you likely won't hit limp mode. I've done about 5 days over the past year and never hit limp mode...
      05-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I’m experienced and will be driving the car pretty hard. This opportunity popped up at the last minute and I’d like to get the car out on track mostly stock so I have a baseline before I start modding it.

I assume you don’t have an upgrade cooler or other cooling mods?

Last edited by mKilgore; 05-04-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #33
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Yes I’m experienced and will be driving the car pretty hard. This opportunity popped up at the last minute and I’d like to get the car out on track mostly stock so I have a baseline before I start modding it.

I personally wouldn't risk ruining your first track day due to limp mode since you can put together a great oil cooler setup for sub $400 and you'll eventually need one anyways.

Either way, dump out some coolant and fill with distilled water and 2-3 water wetter bottles. I ran a stock radiator for 2.5yrs of tracking with just water wetter in harsh environments. Oddly enough, the thing that finally ruined my cooling system was the 1M bumper blocking airflow.
      05-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #34
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

I don't have an upgraded cooler right now, but will probably be getting an upgraded unit for the stock location pretty soon. Also, for my most recent track day, I used MHD to set the "track" coolant temp target, and that definitely helped keep oil temps lower than I had previously seen.
      05-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #35
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate everyone's feedback. The plan is to go ahead and install an upgraded unit since it will eventually be done sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
ShortShift
Private
Rep
Drives: b7 a4

Quote:

i have never had limp mode at the track and have done 25 track days with the stock cooling system. 70/30 water to coolant mix, purol 10w40 motor oil. oil temps stayed around 270 unless i was at big willow or ACS and flat out on the straights. i run my heater on, i also short shift and sometimes go a gear up on straights. i also do a slow lap in the middle of my session or if i get stuck in traffic or mess up a lap ill take minute to cool down the car and myself before i go at it again.

fresh oil and fresh coolant with water wetter should help you. if your planning to upgrade your oil cooler make sure you get one that will do the job you want. do it once and do it right. i waited till i could get the ER dual comp kit with the shroud.
Appreciate 1
BimmerAg425.00
      05-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

hey i picked up a 19 row setrab oils cooler and have the csf radiator thats been in the closet for a year, also have a 1m rep bumper ready to go on with carbon splitter, debating on keeping the stock and adding the 19 row or just putting the 19 row in the stock location for now and see how it goes with the csf radiator. you have any pics of how much different the ducting is? i usually run open track days where the track is open for 4 hours at a time or days where there are 5 30 minute sessions. running stock turbos now with inlets,outlets and fbo but usually just run jb4 map 1 or 2 and hit limp occasionally and then just run 2 or 3 cool down laps and then can get back on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #38
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
hey i picked up a 19 row setrab oils cooler and have the csf radiator thats been in the closet for a year, also have a 1m rep bumper ready to go on with carbon splitter, debating on keeping the stock and adding the 19 row or just putting the 19 row in the stock location for now and see how it goes with the csf radiator. you have any pics of how much different the ducting is? i usually run open track days where the track is open for 4 hours at a time or days where there are 5 30 minute sessions. running stock turbos now with inlets,outlets and fbo but usually just run jb4 map 1 or 2 and hit limp occasionally and then just run 2 or 3 cool down laps and then can get back on it.
Also curious about this. Have a virtually identical setup, just not installed yet. Let me know how you go
Appreciate 0