BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #67
saratoga mdude
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

m1-- quick question about euro exchange

M1-- congrats and thanks so much for the great writeup. I am takin ED of a 1m end of October; my first trip to europe in 8 years. last time i went, i got euros in country by exchanging amex travelers checks at the local amex office (Rome). I understand (I think you discussed this somewhere in your writeup)there is s better way for ED, esp. if you have a bank of america atm card. Can you confirm that there is a deutsche bank atm in th airport that will allow you to take 150-200 euro at a time, and if you use a BoA atm/debit card you pay no fee? do i need to see my local branch to get the card "authortized" to work in europe (or else they will think it's stolen? is there anything else I should know about? i'm taking my son, and if i run into currency problems my wife will never forgive me.... thanks, John
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #68
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga mdude View Post
M1-- congrats and thanks so much for the great writeup. I am takin ED of a 1m end of October; my first trip to europe in 8 years. last time i went, i got euros in country by exchanging amex travelers checks at the local amex office (Rome). I understand (I think you discussed this somewhere in your writeup)there is s better way for ED, esp. if you have a bank of america atm card. Can you confirm that there is a deutsche bank atm in th airport that will allow you to take 150-200 euro at a time, and if you use a BoA atm/debit card you pay no fee? do i need to see my local branch to get the card "authortized" to work in europe (or else they will think it's stolen? is there anything else I should know about? i'm taking my son, and if i run into currency problems my wife will never forgive me.... thanks, John
John: I cannot answer/confirm about the Deutsche Bank Airport ATM question (and even though I have a BofA acct I never used it while in DE). And you can certainly withdraw more than 200 Euros at a time. With that said, to me the best EUR management solution was to just charge most things on my CC (I have a good arrangement with my CC company and their fees are tiny, while also benefiting from a close to inter-bank FX rate). Ditto for cash, I find it better to just withdraw from my bank (Citi, branches are found often, even when I was in Hungary) than to do any formal cash exchange at a currency bureau. Just be sure to call your CC company in advance of your trip so they don't block your card thinking activity is fraudulent (the 800 numbers don't work outside the US). Best of luck in October for your ED experience, it will be memorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDarkness View Post
is it really crowded in Munich and on the freeway? also, are the drivers there good or do they drive shitty like they do in the states. i dont want some dumbshit to hit me during EU delivery.
Autobahns tend to get congested, yes, like in every other part of the world. Especially near cities (where incidentally you have speed limits). When you are in more rural/outside urban areas then it is generally free and clear (and speed limit-less). On average German drivers are a lot more attentive than US drivers', so if anything, your worries should be higher here State-side!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
is it really crowded in Munich and on the freeway? also, are the drivers there good or do they drive shitty like they do in the states. i dont want some dumbshit to hit me during EU delivery.

European drivers are good drivers. They are FAR more attentive than US drivers. the Roads are not too crowded although I was in a traffic jam sunday evening from Salzburg to Munich.
In the city, you will get LOTS of stares because M cars are rare... German drivers are very careful about their vehicles.. They pay a LOT for their license and they pay more for their vehicle registration and insurance then they do for the VEHICLE sometimes.

They DO NOT run red lights. They don't carelessly door ding cars getting in and out. They don't bump cars trying to get into a space.. they go to the next parking space if they can't get in the space... Theft is much less than the US. Your parked car is MUCH safer there than in the US. As far as driving down the road.. more than likely YOU are the dumbshit. ( nothing personal... just saying..)

You will have to learn to watch your speed in KM.. you will need to notice road signs and controls and more importantly the ABSENCE or REMOVAL of controls (speed limit.. passing zones..) and you will need to know the unwritten rules of drving...

1- pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way - Even if they walk in front of you , which they WILL.
2- no right turn on RED- PERIOD
3- at an open intersection, the car on the RIGHT has the right of way (this is same as the US)
4- observe Bike lanes - Bikes for the most part probably have the right of way
5- speed limits are determined by type of road and area
these speed limits are consistent throughout Germany and Austria
-- small town- within limits 50 km (31 mph)
-- city - within limits 80 km or other posted limits
-- country road - not in city limits - 80 km (50 mph)
-- Autobahn 80-km , or 100 km/hr (62 mi/hr) ,or 130 km/hr ( 80 mph) or UNLIMITED

A big key for autobahn limits is noticing that a sign will show the previous speed limit with a slash through it.. which means the previous limit is now gone.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-09-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #70
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga mdude View Post
Europe is a CASH BASED economy. you may want to let your bank or CC company know you are travelling. I have citibank and i have NOT notified them on two trips and never had an issue. I also use CHASE for my bank and no issues there... but then again.. it's my bank I get cash from... I assume once you enter your PIN to get CASH in Europe they will know it is you. It's Credit card companies that may get weirded out.

I believe most ATMS allow 50, 100, 150.200, 300 and 500 Euros to be withdrawn. Note that the min key amount of $50 is close to $70 US! 200 Euros is about $286.00 from your own bank here in the US.
I took out my cash in 200 Euro Amounts. Check with your bank to see what fees you may have to pay and also note that the ATM may also get fees.

Note that meals are going to run you about 15-30 Euros per person. Meals are not cheap! Generally you will pay CASH for meals and use your CREDIT card at the only places that really accept it, which is Gas stations and hotels. Most restaurants and other businesses not in an airport will not accept credit cards. Note that Tax and tip is included with your meals... and price in Euro includes 16% tip at restaurants. So.. if your meal is 48.40 euros then that's what you pay the waiter. if you want to throw in the extra 1.6 and give the waaiter a 50 euro note then you are adding ADDITIONAL tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #71
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
if they make the 2M or M2 in automatic, i will FOSHO get one, if not, then i will get a 235i
errr... does not compute.
      09-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #72
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
European drivers are good drivers. They are FAR more attentive than US drivers. the Roads are not too crowded although I was in a traffic jam sunday evening from Salzburg to Munich.
In the city, you will get LOTS of stares because M cars are rare... German drivers are very careful about their vehicles.. They pay a LOT for their license and they pay more for their vehicle registration and insurance then they do for the VEHICLE sometimes.

They DO NOT run red lights. They don't carelessly door ding cars getting in and out. They don't bump cars trying to get into a space.. they go to the next parking space if they can't get in the space... Theft is much less than the US. Your parked car is MUCH safer there than in the US. As far as driving down the road.. more than likely YOU are the dumbshit. ( nothing personal... just saying..)

You will have to learn to watch your speed in KM.. you will need to notice road signs and controls and more importantly the ABSENCE or REMOVAL of controls (speed limit.. passing zones..) and you will need to know the unwritten rules of drving...

1- pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way - Even if they walk in front of you , which they WILL.
2- no right turn on RED- PERIOD
3- at an open intersection, the car on the RIGHT has the right of way (this is same as the US)
4- observe Bike lanes - Bikes for the most part probably have the right of way
5- speed limits are determined by type of road and area
these speed limits are consistent throughout Germany and Austria
-- small town- within limits 50 km (31 mph)
-- city - within limits 80 km or other posted limits
-- country road - not in city limits - 80 km (50 mph)
-- Autobahn 80-km , or 100 km/hr (62 mi/hr) ,or 130 km/hr ( 80 mph) or UNLIMITED

A big key for autobahn limits is noticing that a sign will show the previous speed limit with a slash through it.. which means the previous limit is now gone.

Great post! Anyone doing ED should read this, especially the advice about pedestrians and bikes!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #73
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I just wanna add (might be too late) but capital one credit cards have zero fees when used in Europe and BofA customers can use ANY Deutsch Bank ATM and there are no fees. A combination of the two will allow you to complete a trip without any fees whatsoever. I withdrew 200 euros at the airport when I arrived and a week later I have about 100 left, I used the CC for most things.

As far as driving.... I have yet to see an idiot on the road here. The roads are not full of teenagers with fixed up civics racing and revving their engines. Everyone seems to be a polished driver. As M3adj stated these people pay a lot for their cars and associated fees/services and they are very attentive. You cant go barreling down the highway at 150mph and be careless. My driving habits are similar so it wasnt much of a change for me to incorporate into their system (highway). The city driving is a bit different but its mostly the signage and traffic light placement. No joke... right now Im some place where every street has the same exact name, they just add a number to it and google maps doesnt use the number so you get turn left on xyz then right on xyz then merge to xyz then left on xyz LOL what a headache to navigate here.

Sorry I responded late to this but Im in the middle of Germany
Appreciate 0