BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #45
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

I used to do it because my jeep was too wide for the garage. So I couldn't open the doors.

Solution. Use the lift gate to enter!!! people sure look at you funny when you do that.
      12-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #46
shmee150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 123d SE Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
I used to do it because my jeep was too wide for the garage. So I couldn't open the doors.

Solution. Use the lift gate to enter!!! people sure look at you funny when you do that.
Haha awesome
      12-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #47
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Car manufacturers don't put window frames on cars that have a convertible option, that way they can use the same door for the coupe and convertible.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #48
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

If it has 2 doors AND a window frame, then it would be called a "S E D A N"

If not, can someone produce an example of a production car with 2 doors and a window frame that was called a Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #49
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Lester, you're absolutely correct - but unfortunately most people would call a two door a coupe regardless of door framing (and then there's that bugaboo four door coupe that MB is doing ; -).

I think I've seen a two-door 'framed door' car called something else than a sedan, maybe in a Hot Rod from earlier this year, I'll do some digging.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #50
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Well - I couldn't find anything in the Hot Rods that applied so I grabbed my copy of Ian Beattie's, 'Automobile Body Design', (fairly comprehensive and very useful in determining what pre-war body styles are), the definition of coupe is a bit looser than I thought:

"A French word meaning 'cut', coupe was and still is the generic term for a relatively short two-door, two or four light [window] body containing two or four seats . . ."

And have we managed to well and truly hijack this thread? ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #51
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post

If not, can someone produce an example of a production car with 2 doors and a window frame that was called a Coupe?
Coupe deVille baby! How much cooler does it get???
Attached Images

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #52
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Complete with a faux landaulette top - you trumped us!! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #53
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Complete with a faux landaulette top - you trumped us!! :biggrin:

Call me crazy but I think that's a pretty sweet ride for the day. Mind you, I was in elementary school when the last "big" one was built in the mid-eighties, but I can appreciate that for the time it was the ultimate personal luxury vehicle.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #54
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I had a 03 Accord coupe and it had window frames.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #55
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:

ok
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #56
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

I did a write up on this as it happened to me ...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20220

Also found that scraping the snow/ice OFF the window prior to touching the handles seams to help a bit. See my other posting here...

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

I wonder how BMW deals with 3 Series and M models that are convertables? Do they have the same issue? For a car company with such track record and expensive cars I suppose this is a no issue on any of their cars. Especially from a German car maker. They know bad weather.

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #57
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
ok
Fugly - who would want that look on a 135?

But that is not a Coupe - it is called a hatchback

Hatchback is a term designating an automobile design, containing a passenger cabin with an integrated cargo space, accessed from behind the vehicle by a single, top-hinged tailgate or large flip-up window. The vehicle commonly has two rows of seats, with the rear seat able to fold down to increase cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #58
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Coupe deVille baby! How much cooler does it get???
That thing is a misnomer. It is actually a two door sedan, in drag, dressed up with shortened rear windows and a roof cover to give the visual impression of a small rear seating compartment. However, the rear seating compartment is quite large. It is a cheap attempt at deception.

Pig or glamour girl? You decide!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #59
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I still think pre-heating the car with a plug in heater is a good idea. If anyone has comments on that let me know. Obviously heating it prior to getting in means 1 doesn't have a cold car and that is a big bonus. That also means those seat-warmers don't have as much use, other than birth control.

I will run an extension cord to the trunk, fold down the seats, and run a small ceramic heater. I know not every1 can do this. Anyone else got comments?

I won't use wd-40.
I won't pour hot water on the car.
Hmmm Cold water might be ok, but rather not have to bring a bucket of water to open the car.

I would park it in a garage if I had one.

When living up north I remember block heaters...they had a plug in dangle off the front grill..looks terrible... but I also remember a in-car heater that could be used in conjunction with it, so 1 didn't need to use a portable space heater with an extension cord through a door/trunk. Does anyone know of any 3rd prarty heaters for heating a car that fits into the car?

I also noticed the car has a parked car fan, with 2 timers. But that won't heat the car correct? I wonder if there is a way other than auto starting the car from a remote. I don't like the idea of letting the car idle for 10 min every cold day. But that is another idea I guess. Hmmm What a hassle.

EspressoBoy
      12-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #60
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Not everyone could run an extension cord to the car. How do you plan to close the trunk? An extension cord for a ceramic heater would have to be quite a heavy one.

A car cover may help, by keeping the ice crystals from forming on the windows.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #61
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not everyone could run an extension cord to the car. How do you plan to close the trunk? An extension cord for a ceramic heater would have to be quite a heavy one.

A car cover may help, by keeping the ice crystals from forming on the windows.

You are correct....
How to properly shut the trunk...hmmmm?

Car cover maybe the answer...
I have a big one for the whole car but what a hassle...
What about a small cover just for the doors? Maybe one of the vendors can come up with a custom cover for those of us who park outside, and it would be just to solve this problem.

Something around 10 bucks that is basically a small tarp that clips on.

Make it 20-30 if it can auto-roll or has a nice case to stow it?

EspressoBoy
      12-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #62
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
You are correct....
How to properly shut the trunk...hmmmm?

Car cover maybe the answer...
I have a big one for the whole car but what a hassle...
What about a small cover just for the doors? Maybe one of the vendors can come up with a custom cover for those of us who park outside, and it would be just to solve this problem.

Something around 10 bucks that is basically a small tarp that clips on.

Make it 20-30 if it can auto-roll or has a nice case to stow it?

EspressoBoy
Eureka - a roof cover with ear flaps that cover the doors, with small weights at the bottom to prevent them from blowing around. The rears could attach to the wheelwell with a bungee, the front held in place by the wiper arms. Next upgrade could be an electric version, heated to keep the doors and windws from freezing. I see quite a market for this. Who's on board? We can have them made in China to keep the costs down. Canadian Tire would pick this up in an instant! Millionaires all of us! I think I will file for a patent this morning!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #63
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That thing is a misnomer. It is actually a two door sedan, in drag, dressed up with shortened rear windows and a roof cover to give the visual impression of a small rear seating compartment. However, the rear seating compartment is quite large. It is a cheap attempt at deception.

Pig or glamour girl? You decide!
Now you're splitting hairs Lester. Call it a misnomer, call it whatever you want. Cadillac called it a "coupe" for many years. I wonder if at the time they were still being made if you considered them "cheap" and "in drag". Hindsight is 20/20.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #64
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It is a really a sedan. They cleverly disguised, marketed and sold as a coupe, by making the rear seat compartment look smaller than it was, with the small rear windows. I don't have an issue with it, it is a part of automobile history. There is no law against it. What else could they do? They had the large body, and they had a market hole that they wanted to fill. This from Wikepedia:

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) distinguishes a coupé from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupé as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 cubic feet (0.93 cubic meters) of rear interior volume. A car with a greater interior volume is technically a two-door sedan, not a coupé, even if it has only two doors. By this standard, the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class coupés are all two-door sedans. Only a few sources, however (including the magazine Car and Driver), use the two-door sedan label in this manner. Some car manufacturers may nonetheless choose to use the word coupé (or coupe) to describe such a model, e.g., the Cadillac Coupe de Ville.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #65
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Yes!
K-tel presents
C
E
M

Yes Car Ear Muffs are here!
Having problems with those automatic windows freezing?
No longer... just put on your CEM and you no longer have those...

Just send in 30 equal payments ... wait...do it in the next 5 minutes and we'll send you a garage free! Yes the insta-matic-garage is yours free

Sorry only available in Canada...

Seriously is it just the ice that is along the rubber trim on the outside? What about just running a small amount of window anti-freeze along it? Maybe A spray bottle with a nozzle that will spray a staight line?

Be nice if we can find a quick-cheap-easy solution for those of us who are stuck parking outside.

K this is some ideas... Anybody have tried these?
http://fortheroad.hcpus.com/index.ph...=index&cPath=1
12v heater but we need a timer or a remote.
One even runs on 8 d cell batteries, so it would not even use the car battery. Buy rechargables and you are all set.
20 USD for the heater fan
80 for the d-cell rechargables lol

EspressoBoy

PS
I was reading this is not great as it can wear down the life of your battery. If this does become a solution, maybe just use it for those mornings where we know it's going to be very cold and frozen.
      12-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #66
bones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 RWD

Post solution

keep a blow dryer and a power converter in your car. blow dry the window while the car is warming up.

I just plan on driving to work with the door partially open for the first 5 mins.
Appreciate 0