BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Exclamation UPDATED: Interested in Ohlins for 1M? This is an Ohlin's R&D related thread.

Tomorrow I'm making a trip to visit my good friends at Ohlins USA in Henderson, NC. I've used Ohlins on the last two track prepared motorcycles (with full TTX setups; one on a 2K7 1K GSX-R and the other on a 2006 CBR 1K-RR). I can't rave more about the quality and the staff at Ohlins USA. I've had a close working relationship with Mike F. and his team for the past 6-7 years ("thermosman"; for those that know the industry). Now, I'm working with Jeff B. and we're collaborating to bring a fully adjustable 1M suspension to market. No retro-fits from other cars. Just a straight, fully R&D'ed 1M suspension.

I've seen posts from others mentioning installed or advertised Ohlins setups, knowing full well that they are in-shop retro-fitted systems and not directly from Ohlins USA, specifically designed for the 1M. I've been talking with Jeff about this effort since the end of July. Tomorrow we're going to disassemble the 1M suspension, take pictures, measurements etc. I'll post some of these pictures tomorrow. In a month or so, (probably looking at beginning of February, because shaker rig time is critical in January) I will go back to Hendersonville after everything is properly machined, and they will do all the R&D on the newly installed suspension. I should be able to put up some additional data after we put the car on a shaker rig and have some firm numbers. Just in time for next year's track season!

I'm excited to be a part of this, and I'm happy to share this good news. If you have any questions that you want me to ask them tomorrow, please post them up. Some, I may be able to answer sooner. Otherwise if you're interested in suspension options, subscribe to this thread, and look for updates coming soon.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 12-20-2011 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

As promised, here are some of the pictures. Collecting some data for 1M suspension development from Ohlins. Many race teams have been asking about this car, asking for performance data (on a shake rig), this will provide them with what they need. I'm very lucky to be a part of the process!

Car going up onto the inspection lift.

This shake rig setup cost over 2 million dollars. It was paid for by many hours of Nascar R&D at first, but now it's used primarily for Indy racing R&D and for performance simulation. Ohlins can load a simulation of VIR, Road ATL or Barber and then simulate every turn, lift and concrete variation with this machine by MTS. It's really amazing technology! And this is what will be used to come up with a suspension completely customized for the 1M.

The workbench, where most of the calculations were being recorded.

Nick (the head R&D auto mechanical engineer) is testing stock spring loads for baselining.

Jeff is taking measurements.

Various suspension setups for race teams throughout the US.

The main automotive work area.

I'll post more, but I wanted to give you guys an idea of the work being accomplished. Once Ohlins is done with the precise measurements, a system will be be machined, tested, fitted on the 1M and then rig testing begins (approximately 2 days worth of work). Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Thanks for taking the lead on this! Excited to see its development..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

thanks for sharing, that looks great. Please keep us posted, looking forward to the endresult.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Sub'd, can't wait to see what they come up with Do you know if this is going to be for a TTX setup or something else?

Ps. I still need to edit those vids from our PCD , been running a bit behind -.-

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
Sub'd, can't wait to see what they come up with Do you know if this is going to be for a TTX setup or something else?

Ps. I still need to edit those vids from our PCD , been running a bit behind -.-
Ha! Only a little late!!

Yes and no. A racing team in Canada is already looking for information gathered from the vehicle dynamic simulation testing, and plans on running a full (or like) TTX setup (you can read more about this HERE). Keep in mind though, the TTX is considered a race-only system (meaning anual maintenance, very stiff, track only). It would be a waste to use for the street, honestly. Personally, I'm looking for a road/track setup...something that's quickly and easily adjustable. The VDS will provide information that can be applied to any setup.

You can have them develop forged magnesium setups, if you really want to...like the one's below. You just have to have the bankroll to support it, and they'll do whatever you want with the information already gathered from our testing sessions. Below are some good examples of what you "could" buy...with the right amount.

From left to right: The one one the far left is only $15,000 each and will fit an Audi R8 LMS race car (4-way adjustable 30mm). The one if the middle is magnesium forged, and costs nearly 25k. I don't remember what it's too, but it also is a 30mm, but only 2-way adjustable. Remarkably, (esp considering it's size) the one on the far right is a 25mm 4-way adjustable and is used for an Indy race team. It costs around $30k (but they only use 3 of them...so i guess that's a little easier on the wallet ).

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep

lol yea I haven't really looked at the GoPro footage I've shot over the past 2 months, my comp crapped the bed not too long ago

When you say Road/Track are you referring to their kit with the DFV dampers : http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com ?

Interestingly enough, they have a setup listed on that site for 997 GT3 RS' which use 2-way TTX dampers : http://************/cfaw7gc . I've also seen these referred to elsewhere as their Club Sport setup so I'm a little confused on which it should be.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
do they have a ETA as to when they would like to have this all completed?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

awesome pics of the shake-illator..

that's some serious R and D
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Im glad youre putting the effort into this.

But call me stupid. Cant you just use the M3 kit with different valving?

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Im glad youre putting the effort into this.

But call me stupid. Cant you just use the M3 kit with different valving?
Yes you could use the M3 setup, but the work here is determining what different valving is needed. Stock M3 valving would be doable too but not ideal depending on what you'd like to do with the car.

M3 Ohlin R&T kit hasn't been released yet, TTX kit is available but $$$

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Yes you could use the M3 setup, but the work here is determining what different valving is needed. Stock M3 valving would be doable too but not ideal depending on what you'd like to do with the car.

M3 Ohlin R&T kit hasn't been released yet, TTX kit is available but $$$
Ohh that makes perfect sense. Duh!

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626368

Hubba hubba

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah, those are no joke...very, very nice stuff!

the guys over at Ohlins showed us a setup that some guy in Cincinnati, OH uses on his cars. he has something like two or three (are you ready for this)...Audi R8 GTS' (the consumer track ready race car) and each of them has a $15,000 setup PER WHEEL. that's ridiculous...talk about some major cash!!!

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 12-22-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
do they have a ETA as to when they would like to have this all completed?
before racing season. at the end of this week or early next week, they will send me the raw data that they collected from the other day, and send some prototype drawings to the machine shop soon after. they're thinking that it would be consumer ready by early 2012; right around the same time that the M3 kit will be released from Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: M760xi

VERY interested
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Shaker rig.
4, 5 or 7 posts?

Very, very good indeed.
      12-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #18
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Shaker rig.
4, 5 or 7 posts?

Very, very good indeed.
7 post shake rig.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Any updates? Interested to hear how this is progressing...
      01-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

TTX is ready to go.

There is also a "Raceline" kit based on Ohlins ready(Please PM to inquire).

Road and Track should be ready sometime this year.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 02-23-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #21
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Swedish quality! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Any updates? Interested to hear how this is progressing...
Just talked to Jeff Baucom at Ohlins USA to find out how they're coming along in the process (since I saw your post Pete). They pretty much have everything they need (calculations, pictures, etc). Now they're waiting on the new kit systems coming out this month (end of January) so that they have the newest technology possible for the 1M. Then they'll come out with pricing for us.

Jeff said: "PSI is the only shop [known to Ohlins USA] to use TTX46 in the front and TTX36 in the rear, but again that's only for the M3 and not the 1M. It is not geared to be a "street legal" 1M product, and is not a kit specifically engineered for the 1M. If you do get the TTX systems, dealers should be informing you that they are not street legal systems, and all Ohlins warranties are out the window. That's why we're working on this system in the first place".

This is coming directly from Jeff at Ohlins (direct quote). If you want to call them, please do. This is a project very close to him, and he's been excited to see this product coming to market!
Appreciate 0