E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > UGH -- a full week without my car... Tell your BMW service horror stories...

12-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

UGH -- a full week without my car... Tell your BMW service horror stories...

It's been a week since I dropped my car off for service (the BMW assist would not make a call when I hit the SOS button)... I thought it might be a one day fix... but a week later they have replaced the "TCU", re-installed the software but cant get my software to initialize... It's driving me crazy....

Another time I took my car the the same BMW center for install of my alarm and had to take it back 3 times for them to get it right (and once they lost my key and were about to order me a new one, but found it later that day)...

What's the longest you've had to leave your car for service (and what whet wrong)? Share your horror stories here!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
It seems like its becoming more and more common that dealership aren't able to flash the ECU correctly and then end up having to reload the entire thing with the software. And you know, i'm willing to bet 99% that this is a user error from the dealership ppl rather then a BMW problem. Blah !
      12-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i am having that problem now. i drop the car off thursday for oil change and software update. i was told it will be done at the end of buisness day. it wasnt. i was promise friday but now its monday, they said it will be finish today but i am not holding my breathe. its almost 4pm and no call......bs. i shouldnt have updated my software. it was working fine. like the saying go "dont fix it if it aint broke". damn.....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
i'm willing to bet 99% that this is a user error from the dealership ppl rather then a BMW problem. Blah !
I totally agree. It appears that most of BMW techs in the US are not well trained in dealing with in the technological advances found in E90.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
cto702
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ZSP that Past on the Right

I have my car in the shop for when the navigation crashed on me. Now, 5 days into the fix they still haven't figured out why the aux input is not working.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I wish I could play around with the BMW software, it sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ugh - part 2 - well, its been 7 days and still no fix... finally got them to supply me with a rental car -- a crappy beat up toyota corolla...

I WANT MY BMW BACK... WAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
Ugh - part 2 - well, its been 7 days and still no fix... finally got them to supply me with a rental car -- a crappy beat up toyota corolla...

wow, at least i got an x3. but anyways, it not going to be done today. fuck!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey guys,

Sorry to read about those horrible stories. I hope that you get your car back ASAP longtran and that the wait isn't going to be in vain.

Same goes for anyone else who has had to wait longer than anticipated.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #10
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply

Doesn't BMW (Corporate) have a policy about making sure dealers give out BMWs as loaners? My dealer told me that they have to give out BMWs when someone brings their car in. Maybe that's just their policy...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE -- Day 9 -- Now the service department is telling me that the replacement TCU that they installed was defective and would not initialize.... So now I wait another day for a replacement TCU (and probably another day for them to reprogram the car)... I miss my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #12
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite
Doesn't BMW (Corporate) have a policy about making sure dealers give out BMWs as loaners? My dealer told me that they have to give out BMWs when someone brings their car in. Maybe that's just their policy...
A dealer I almost ordered my car from made me sign a statement that said while they try to have BMWs as loaners they couldn't guarantee it. The dealer I actually ordered my car from made me sign no such statement.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
i'm willing to bet 99% that this is a user error from the dealership ppl rather then a BMW problem. Blah !
I disagree.

BMW's hardware/software in the E90 seems overly complicated for what the product actually does. I understand that integrating everything together is a real killer, but BMW's onboard computer systems have never really been subjected to a clean-sheet design. The end result is basically a bunch of spaghetti code and hardware; new systems glommed onto old systems with new technologies hacked into the older stuff.

It should not take 6 hours to uplode new software into a vehicle. Those software updates shouldn't "Go wrong" and require technicians to replace hardware. From the technician's standpoint, interacting with the vehicle using the BMW MoDiC should be a point-n-click affair with little to no drama. The fact that these systems are so unnecessarily complicated and we keep hearing reports of people looking the vheicle for a week as BMW fetches new ECU modules is insane...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
GTS_330
Private
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 330

Are they suppose to give you a loaner if the service only take one full day??? cuz when i went to get my software update..... they refused to give me one!!!! Damn Long Beach BMW.... they're just ass!!!! I had to call my friends to pick me up from the dealer....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_330
Are they suppose to give you a loaner if the service only take one full day??? cuz when i went to get my software update..... they refused to give me one!!!! Damn Long Beach BMW.... they're just ass!!!! I had to call my friends to pick me up from the dealer....
that sucks. i would have got the loaner for an oil change. did you buy the car from them?? if not then they wont give you a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Interesting, my dealer (Montreal, Canada) will not guarantee a BMW loaner, but will provide a free rental (crap shoot as to make-had everything from a Kia to an Altima). However, once the X3 was in for several days (faulty seat mirror memory module) and then they told me after one day to come in and gave me one of 4-5 BMW (320s) they have on staff. It seems to be their policy (unless you have a 7 series or M-in which case they make those 320s available right away.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Well, I should have listened to you guys. I have been avoiding the software update since I brought my car home in July. The seatbelt rattle was bugging me but I lived with it, until I blew my speaker in attempt to drown out the rattle. I could not take the popping noise anymore so I finally took the car in. When we sat down to do the paper work the service guy said, “oh looks like there is a recall for the software”. Damn!! I knew that was going to happen, just hopeful that it wouldn’t.
When I called to find out the status of my car, they informed me that something happened with the software upload and it would not be ready until tomorrow. :mad: What do you guys think? 1 - 5 days???

On top of the software glitch, they could not duplicate the speaker problem but assured me the software would fix it. I call bs on this one. They also told me they have never heard of the seat belt rattle, so it would take some time to figure out how to fix it. Lets just say I do not like Crevier right now! Sorry for the long post, I am just very frustrated with this situation. :mad:
      12-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #18
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Just an update....

I called my SA yesterday to check the status of my car. He said,"oh yea, your car is all done and is line for the car wash". I asked him if they could recheck the speaker problem and he said no problem. I get a call back 15 minutes later saying that when they went to turn on the radio it was dead. So it will again be another day without my car. I was also informed that they were only providing the rental car for 1 day, so if I wanted to keep it I would have to pay for it. This just keeps getting worse by the day. It also doesn't help that the SA is a total asshole and is very rude to me.
      12-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #19
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I was also informed that they were only providing the rental car for 1 day, so if I wanted to keep it I would have to pay for it.
That's crappy treatment. I had my car in only for the software recall/update (May, 05 production, 330i, No i-Drive.) It took them two weeks, but at least I had an X3 loaner the entire time. They were apologizing for the delays and giving me regular updates. I asked them to give me DRLs and drive-away door locks, but when I finally picked up my car, I discovered they only gave me the SI B 12 19 05 update, which is the recall. That update fixes the software error that may not illuminate the "Service Engine Soon" light.
The SI B 12 09 05 update addresses the data communication through the OBD interface, and that one is the one that allows the DRL's and drive-away door locks. (I HOPE I'M RIGHT ON THAT, FOLKS.)
SA said my car couldn't have DRLs and drive-away locks. And since it took two weeks to get one update, I didn't say anything and took my car because I missed it so. I did have to return on the way home due to a warning light. The windows had to be re-initialized. Interesting procedure. They roll all four windows up and down a couple times. Took care of it.
If they can't fix your car in one day, I would try to get them to extend the loaner to you for free.
      12-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #20
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

i got my car last week (saturday) and its going back in on wednesday (12/21) to the body shop for a minor adjustment. its nothing big, but since i paid $40k for my car i want it to be perfect. well they're just going to adjust the doors. they're off by a cm (some higher then others).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #21
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

I still think I win...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8452

4.5 weeks and counting.
      12-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #22
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

I was rear ended by a 1990 Lincoln Towncar. Small tap at a red light, but its license frame bolts put two deep gouges in my rear bumper. Her insurance thought it would only take a couple days. BMW bodyshop took a little over a week! Granted they were slammed with cars, but to fix the rear lip - a week? It's okay, I was given a loaded X3 as my rental...which is a very fun car to drive if I may say.
Appreciate 0