BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #23
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I'd keep the Mustang. Family treasure.
It is, it is.
But neither of the girls wants it when they grow up, there's no place to put it, and I'm more of a "user" than "collector". Though I try to drive it every week or two, and keep it roadworthy, it'll be years before I have the free time or "extra" money to give it the restoration it so richly deserves.
Even then, my dream Mustang was always a 4-spd Fastback, which this will never be.
My F-i-L was ready to be rid of it 40 years ago, and my B-i-L has never shown an interest.
My wife was the reason her dad hung onto it. And now, though she likes it, it's more for it being a convertible than for it being an heirloom or having particular sentimental value.
So, at this point, we've determined that it might be best to pass it to the next loving home to care for it for the next 50 years.
No, I'm not niave enough to think I won't regret it at some point. But it is time.

Plus, if we decide to hang on to it now, I'll need to flip the 135i quick!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
Josh (PA)
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 135 vert, '13 x5, '03 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Love driving stick again. My wife asked me to re-teach her.

My youngest daughter, who never got to see the Hyundai, asked me "Daddy, why are you always moving that thing?"
She learned a little about clutches and gears...
Sounds like you made the right call, congrats. We've had a 'vert in our stable for 10 yrs straight now with the exception of about 6 months. We had a couple of e36 M3cs (sold one, missed it and bought the other) that were great. Last year I sold it along w/ my e39 M5 because my first kid was getting her license, colleges loomed, etc. Replaced those 2 with an e46 wagon for the kids to use and the e90 335 for me. Turned out to be a huge mistake, as the 335 didn't scratch the itch left by the m5 and everyone in the family missed having a convertible. Luckily I was able to get out of the 335 for what I bought it for and found my e88 perfectly optioned somewhat locally. It's been my daily driver when there isn't snow on the ground for a year now and I still absolutely love it. It is 85% of the fun of the e36 M3 but 300% better at DD, usability, etc. This is the first time in a very long time I am not actively shopping my next car.

Hope yours works out the same way. Its a great color combo.
Appreciate 0