BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #45
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I love my 135i.

Since the OP asked for other cars to try:
370Z, WRX STI (most like the Audi due to 4WD, poor gas mileage), Mustang GT (ferociously fast, miserable ride with track package, large footprint), Camaro V8 (large footprint without the harsh ride). OP probably needs a manual transmission, which is easily available in all the above, right out of dealer stock.
      02-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #46
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
Any thoughts on a newer Evo or STI? anyone with experience to compare to the 135i or b5 s4?
When I owned B5 S4 I was always happy that my S4 comparing with STI and EVO had V6 not I4 or H4, bigger engine bigger resource and torque 400nm from 1800 rpm till 5500 rpm or so. Owning one of those rally cars (STI EVO) means you go really fast WOT or going slow, there is no middle. 135 you can drive relaxable it has power all the way.

Listen don't play games here! Buy Ultimate machine or go away and order some RICE

Last edited by RimasRS; 02-02-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #47
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
This problem is covered under warranty and has been fixed my BMW. If I get one I will go to the dealer and get the updated HPFP so i don't even have to worry about it. That is the only problem I have found with the car and that is nothing when you compare it to the list of potential problems my car will have soon...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #48
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I love my 135i.

Since the OP asked for other cars to try:
370Z, WRX STI (most like the Audi due to 4WD, poor gas mileage), Mustang GT (ferociously fast, miserable ride with track package, large footprint), Camaro V8 (large footprint without the harsh ride). OP probably needs a manual transmission, which is easily available in all the above, right out of dealer stock.
I do like these cars, but I would rather keep my car over any of them. They don't have the interior quality and ride comfort I am looking for in a DD. Thanks for the suggestions though.

My friend is looking at getting an STI, so we're going test driving all weekend. I'm going to look at the STI, EVO, G35X, newer A4, hopefully they'll have a new S4, and the 135i.

Funny the only car that isn't AWD is the 135i... I have never been the driver of anything but Subaru and the S4, it makes me want to experiment. Having said that, I would be kicking myself if I had it this winter with so much snow falling in Mass, but I think I would be able to manage. It just won't be the beast the S4 is in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #49
blackbim14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 black bmw 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
So on the Audi forum them are people saying I will have just as many problems with this car, BMW means break my wallet, etc.

I like this car a lot and don't want this to push me away from it, but the bottom line is that I have a job I need to get to every day to make average pay. I will tell you for the sake of helping me make the responsible decision I make around 55k. I am wondering what you guys think about the cost of maintenance/ insurance/ others for my budget.

Keep in mind this car is also more than transportation to me. I love to drive and would spend more than the normal person to love my car but not an insane amount that I can't afford. And I do like to work on my car but not if if NEEDS to be fixed all the time in a draining way to make it not worth the headache of "what will go wrong next".

Please, honest, unbiased opinions only...
I guess 55K salary is relative. If you are single without many other expenses (mortgage, kids, school loans, credit cards etc) then you could get away with buying a car more for pleasure. If I made 55k per year and had the above mentioned drain on my salary there is no way I could justify or afford to have a car that costs 1/4 of my net monthly income. If you are that worried about
repairs, then just do some shopping and possibly find an 08 that is BMW certified, or lease.
As far as dealing with the bad weather goes it all depends on what will happen to your job if you can't make it to work. Is it acceptable for you to call out of work, any car can get stuck in the snow at some point. You will likely have an easier time with EVO/STI/Audi for that reason alone but even then enough snow makes clearance an Issue. I have a job where it is unacceptable to miss any time for any reason short of death or inpatient hospitalization. That's why I have a 4wheel drive beater that gets me to where I am going those handful of times per year, also my 135i stays nice and clean/shiny in the garage waiting for that sunny day

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #50
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, that's the thing I can always just call in if the weather is bad enough. Yesterday I was one if the few that made it to work. With the quattro s4 i can go anywhere.

And I don't have a family, mortgage, school loans. Just rent and the basics.
Appreciate 0