mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
The high alpine road would be blast to drive

Can't see why we can't duck over from Vipiteno instead of heading straight up to Innsbruck, thats if we don't have to head via Innsbruck.....Drop the idea to Marcus as it sure does look like a great drive.
Done, plus added a few more.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #354
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Done, plus added a few more.

Good man Looks like we are going to get in plenty of alpine passes .....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #355
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you guys come over here... let me know!! It would be really cool to have you guys come visit for the Welt 4.0 (see the sticky in the Euro subforum) or come join us for our Stelvio 2.0. We will probably do Stelvio in mid June or July this year. Still TBD.

Dack
We are looking at a Sept run mate taking in Southern France, then into Italy, Switzerland, Austria and then making our way north to Munich before hitting the ring to finish the trip off.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #356
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
We are looking at a Sept run mate taking in Southern France, then into Italy, Switzerland, Austria and then making our way north to Munich before hitting the ring to finish the trip off.
WoW! You guys will have a ton of fun! I think we will run the Stelvio before then. But keep me in the "loop", maybe we can do something special for when you guys come to Munich.

IF you guys come to visit Munich during the work week... we might be able to get you a tour of this place...

Best photo tour of BMW Classic warehouse (Mobile Tradition) you’ve never seen…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533698

Also... keep in mind the BMW Museum is closed on Mondays. You guys have lots of time to plan your trip. I look forward to possibly meeting you guys a the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #357
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

We will keep you updated, and tee something up for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #358
N8bby
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Wheels

Hello could you please tell me where you got your wheels done as I have been looking for this finish for ages on my VO 1M, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #359
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Go Garda !" (Garda Lake - Lago di Garda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you guys come over here... let me know!! It would be really cool to have you guys come visit for the Welt 4.0 (see the sticky in the Euro subforum) or come join us for our Stelvio 2.0. We will probably do Stelvio in mid June or July this year. Still TBD.
Dack
Hm, sounds tempting, Dackel.

Guys, if you plan to head for Stelvio again this Summer, then it's definitely worth considering to extend the trip a bit further down South the Dolomites for a Garda Lake round trip (pre-Alps - Northern Italy). You're in the area anyway with your cars, so benefit from that unique occasion. Will be a fond memory for future story-telling. Our non-European forum fellows must eat their hearts out that we can manage to roam the roads and towns at that exquisite location.

It normally takes about 2.5 hours to get from Stelvio to Trento (160 km) (Northern Italy) by car. Then heading (with a full fuel tank) from Trento southwestwards towards Sarche (for a stop at the lovely Castel Toblino bar/restaurant - an extraordinary scenic location to have a drink or get some food), further southwards towards Riva del Garda (Northern point of the Garda Lake). Then start the Garda Lake round trip anti-clockwise: at Riva del Garda take the westside leg southwards towards Peschiera del Garda (Southern point of the Garda Lake). Subsequently take the eastside leg northwards (other half). Should you want to skip the eastside leg (in the unlikely event of bad weather, lack of time, feeling tired or road too crowded), you can decide to take the highway at Peschiera del Garda either heading West (direction of Milan) or East (direction of Verona / Padova / Venice) or back North (direction of Trento / Bolzano / Innsbruck).

If the Garda Lake round trip is too loaded to combine in one day with the Stelvio as schedule, then spend a night in the Trento whereabouts and schedule the next day for the Garda Lake round trip. Eventually you can have dinner in the Northern area of the Garda Lake and get back to the Trento whereabouts for spending a second night. Next morning with fresh energy the return trip: heading North (highway) from Trento towards the Austrian border (± 150 km), across Austria and subsequently the German Autobahn again.

On a sunny day touring around the Garda Lake is truly a joy for all senses. Scenic, curving lake roads with plenty of small tunnels (vroom-vroom ). Even if temperatures are high (normally 30-35°C in the Summer season), you still got the lake breeze. During the weekend the road can be pretty crowded, as you may expect.

I toured that road already plenty of times with my wife's DD, just for the fun of enjoying life. Yeah, I got a soft spot for that area. This trip might be the right excuse to sell the story to my wife to take the 1M from Belgium to Northern Italy for a few days.

Name:  Garda_Lake.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  65.7 KB
Name:  Garda_Lake_Map.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  247.6 KB

Here's my sweet pie back in April 2008 in her ///M(axi-Cosi) in Riva del Garda:
Name:  GardaLake_2008.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  229.4 KB

A winter picture I took from the scenic 'Castel Toblino' (Sarche) back in 2005 (as mentioned above, it has a bar and restaurant - for a virtual tour: http://www.trentinovirtualtour.it/casteltoblino [click on 'foto' to change]):
Name:  CastelToblino_2005.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  226.6 KB

Some Garda Lake impressions:

The Aston Martin pursuit opening scene of the James Bond movie "Quantum Of Solace" partially shot on the Garda Lake road:

Here's a guy following that James Bond trail:

Conclusion: consider a "Quantum of ///M" extension to the "Stelvio 2.0" journey.
      01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #360
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Hm, sounds tempting, Dackel.

Guys, if you plan to head for Stelvio again this Summer, then it's definitely worth considering to extend the trip a bit further down South the Dolomites for a Garda Lake round trip (pre-Alps - Northern Italy). You're in the area anyway with your cars, so benefit from that unique occasion. Will be a fond memory for future story-telling. Our non-European forum fellows must eat their hearts out that we can manage to roam the roads and towns at that exquisite location.

It normally takes about 2.5 hours to get from Stelvio to Trento (160 km) (Northern Italy) by car. Then heading (with a full fuel tank) from Trento southwestwards towards Sarche (for a stop at the lovely Castel Toblino bar/restaurant - an extraordinary scenic location to have a drink or get some food), further southwards towards Riva del Garda (Northern point of the Garda Lake). Then start the Garda Lake round trip anti-clockwise: at Riva del Garda take the westside leg southwards towards Peschiera del Garda (Southern point of the Garda Lake). Subsequently take the eastside leg northwards (other half). Should you want to skip the eastside leg (in the unlikely event of bad weather, lack of time, feeling tired or road too crowded), you can decide to take the highway at Peschiera del Garda either heading West (direction of Milan) or East (direction of Verona / Padova / Venice) or back North (direction of Trento / Bolzano / Innsbruck).

If the Garda Lake round trip is too loaded to combine in one day with the Stelvio as schedule, then spend a night in the Trento whereabouts and schedule the next day for the Garda Lake round trip. Eventually you can have dinner in the Northern area of the Garda Lake and get back to the Trento whereabouts for spending a second night. Next morning with fresh energy the return trip: heading North (highway) from Trento towards the Austrian border (± 150 km), across Austria and subsequently the German Autobahn again.

On a sunny day touring around the Garda Lake is truly a joy for all senses. Scenic, curving lake roads with plenty of small tunnels (vroom-vroom ). Even if temperatures are high (normally 30-35°C in the Summer season), you still got the lake breeze. During the weekend the road can be pretty crowded, as you may expect.

I toured that road already plenty of times with my wife's DD, just for the fun of enjoying life. Yeah, I got a soft spot for that area. This trip might be the right excuse to sell the story to my wife to take the 1M from Belgium to Northern Italy for a few days.

Conclusion: consider a "Quantum of ///M" extension to the "Stelvio 2.0" journey.
Change your job, start a ///M Tourism Agency sort of business. I will join with pleasure.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #361
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Change your job, start a ///M Tourism Agency sort of business. I will join with pleasure.
Let's have a drink to that (champaign bottles fit too in the E39 M5 coffee table):

Name:  M_Table.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  46.2 KB
      01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #362
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Let's have a drink to that (champaign bottles fit too in the E39 M5 coffee table):

Attachment 810346
I remember it. I am dying to have a coffee table like that one, dolce vita!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #363
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

@ Artemis : if you consider taking your 1M for this journey, give us a sign, i'll be glad to join you with at least 2 other fellow 1M drivers from Belgium.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #364
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I am not sure we where planning to get down as far as Lake Garda but have been informed by many it is worth the drive .....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #365
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8bby View Post
Hello could you please tell me where you got your wheels done as I have been looking for this finish for ages on my VO 1M, thanks in advance.
It is hyper black, I'm thinking after winter I will have them redone in a darker shade. The work was done by Prestine Wheels in Milton Keynes by Lee at The Crash Care Centre in Hitchen while I had some other work done.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #366
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure we where planning to get down as far as Lake Garda but have been informed by many it is worth the drive .....
Yeah, definitely do not have the time to get that much south of the Alps given that we are very literally driving from the French end of the Alps to the Austrian end, not forgetting Munich, the Ring and then back to London. It's working out roughly to be a 4000-5000km journey.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #367
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That's what I thought, it is a bit to south for our current plans, but could form the basis of another trip

Same sort of distances then what I did when driving from Perth to Sydney in 99 and the east to west coast drive across the US back in late 2011.....I like my long hauls

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 01-22-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #368
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London
That's what I thought, it is a bit to south for our current plans, but could form the basis of another trip
It'll be great to do the Alps comprehensively, so we don't have to go back for a good while, which allows us to focus subsequent trips on individual countries.

Would love to bring my M to Aussie with a radar detecter !

10 days should be sufficient if I use my Norway trip as a gauge.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #369
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It'll be great to do the Alps comprehensively, so we don't have to go back for a good while, which allows us to focus subsequent trips on individual countries.

Would love to bring my M to Aussie with a radar detecter !

10 days should be sufficient if I use my Norway trip as a gauge.
Totally agree re the alps, have been on my must do list for some time now....I can see me racking up some good miles in the 1M over time, 9.5k in just over a year and none to date with general daily use bar the monthly costco run......Now I very much look forward to the alpine passes and individual countries at a later date

And I don't miss driving in Aus one bit, especially when you can stretch your legs from time to time over here
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #370
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Haven't read the CRT article in Evo, will go find it online now RE Welt/Ring trip (we might as well hit up Grossglockner too) lets discuss and make sure it happens then!
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%3A+BMW+M3+CRT
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #371
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Funnily enough read that last night, surprised the author had no idea what a CRT and ran straight past it, how can you not notice the bucket seats (F & R) and the 6 and 4 pot calipers... or maybe that isn't surprising and its just me that would have dived into the CRT first
      01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #372
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Stayed in Lake Garda in 2010 on a road trip and in Lake Como in 2012 also on a road trip, both are great but can also depend which part of both lakes you stay at I suppose, might need a bit more time if we were to go there though?
      01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #373
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Stayed in Lake Garda in 2010 on a road trip and in Lake Como in 2012 also on a road trip, both are great but can also depend which part of both lakes you stay at I suppose, might need a bit more time if we were to go there though?
Definitely aren't going there as there isn't sufficient time. It'll be for another trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #374
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Definitely aren't going there as there isn't sufficient time. It'll be for another trip.
Well if the trip is going to be bounded by a 10 day time frame then I'd agree with that, both lovely places though