BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Just Released! Evolution Racewerks N55 Charge

HP Autowerks has just received the Evolution Racewerks N55 Charge Pipe. In Stock.

•Now available for the 2011+ N55 Engine
•Increase throttle response and decreases turbo lag.
•Lightweight High Grade 6061 Aluminum Piping.
•Throttle body matched 3" piping.
•Retains factory style o-ring throttle body lock flange. Precision CNC machined throttle body flange ensures leak free connection to throttle body. Quick and easy connection and disconnection to throttle body. Ideal connection compared to the silicone hose and hose clamp connection found in all other aftermarket diverter valve upgrade pipes available in the marketplace.
•Precision CNC machined MAP sensor flange ensures leak free connection.
•Optional Type III Hard Black Anodizing (for stealth and OEM look). Hard anodizing helps improve durability of intercooler piping. Resists bent or dented piping.
•Includes all hardware for complete installation.
•Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
XCC Motorsports
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Looks cool, but someone chime in... Does it really make a big difference in performance vs the stock charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCC Motorsports View Post
Looks cool, but someone chime in... Does it really make a big difference in performance vs the stock charge pipe?
+1!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well, for me atleast its not really the instant "increase" in performance but more the definite lack of boost leakage and rubber, cheaper pipe expansion/DV tube expansion from the stock pipe. Pretty much the way it is for every chargepipe upgrade on any FI car. Most if not all STOCK FI cars have cheaper plastic type piping with flexible rubber DV hosing which will expand causing loss of power at WOT. ESPECIALLY with higher boost levels with a tune, anyone with a tune on this car needs a sexier chargepipe, alleviates expansion and leakage pretty much altogether. And I went with the BOV option because its just faster spool and easier on the turbos, again, especially with higher boost.

Also just wondering..wtf is the DV/bov bungs on this pipe?? Or am i just unknown that much on the n55 setup..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

^ the DV is on the turbo so it can't be replaced, unles your willing to pay a shit ton of money.
Another thing am I to assume this is basically the intercooler pipe that runs from the cold side of the intercooer to the TB?
And if this is a IC pipe, has anybody made one from the turbo the the hot side of the ntercooler?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrtoastman View Post
^ the DV is on the turbo so it can't be replaced, unles your willing to pay a shit ton of money.
Another thing am I to assume this is basically the intercooler pipe that runs from the cold side of the intercooer to the TB?
And if this is a IC pipe, has anybody made one from the turbo the the hot side of the ntercooler?
Yes it is the pipe that runs from the IC to the TB. Ive never really read anywhere of a real need for a new pipe leading from the turbos to the IC, although perhaps thats mainly cuz noone sells one

I know diff IC's have different connections, like the HPF uses the stock "click" connections for no leakage, others like ER's replace the stock connections completely and put aluminum piping in. Not sure whats the pro's n cons bout each setup, Ive always just liked the HPF the most cuz its the largest core with smooth ends, structurally sounds and anchored and it snaps right into the stop piping. I think the argument from ER on their IC is that the stock piping, specially from the turbo's to the IC is sorta ribbed which supposedly causes turbulence and slows air or something, not sure. Would be nice is someone who really knew their shit with our IC setup would explain the pros n cons of one or the other
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Well, for me atleast its not really the instant "increase" in performance but more the definite lack of boost leakage and rubber, cheaper pipe expansion/DV tube expansion from the stock pipe. Pretty much the way it is for every chargepipe upgrade on any FI car. Most if not all STOCK FI cars have cheaper plastic type piping with flexible rubber DV hosing which will expand causing loss of power at WOT. ESPECIALLY with higher boost levels with a tune, anyone with a tune on this car needs a sexier chargepipe, alleviates expansion and leakage pretty much altogether. And I went with the BOV option because its just faster spool and easier on the turbos, again, especially with higher boost.

Also just wondering..wtf is the DV/bov bungs on this pipe?? Or am i just unknown that much on the n55 setup..
At higher boost and hp you may see a few hp gain as it removes one source of restriction in the system.

In addition, this pipe is an upgrade over the stock one as it hold boost much better and keep the plastic tubing from popping off on the other end where it's connected to the FMIC discharge pipe(you will see this with higher boost levels).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
At higher boost and hp you may see a few hp gain as it removes one source of restriction in the system.

In addition, this pipe is an upgrade over the stock one as it hold boost much better and keep the plastic tubing from popping off on the other end where it's connected to the FMIC discharge pipe(you will see this with higher boost levels).
Oh? Are you speaking of the tubing going from the IC to the chargepipe, or the tubing from the turbos to the IC? Cuz ive never seen a replacement for that piping
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

All my experiance comes from my evo. The licp (turbo to ic) had a pretty bad restriction in it, replacing it netted some pretty good power for just a pipe replacement. The uicp(charge pipe as you guys call it) had two version long and short. It didn't increase power at all but the shorter version allowed for better throttle response.
Hence why I asked about the licp or "hot side".

Back to the dv, can't we just take the vacuum line off of dv on the turbo and place it on something like a forge adaptor on the uicp? You would have to reroute the the dv discharge and tune it, but I don't see what this isn't a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

The DV is like the of an EFR turbo(pretty much an EFR), so it's built into the Compressor housing which could lead to other issues if you did that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Just bought one of these from HPA in anodized black. Will report back!
      06-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

dyno before and after!
      08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
My review:

I received the black anodized charge pipe, and first impressions were that it looked awesome. Well made.

I went to install it, which was easy, because I have the Injen intake and don't have to take my whole stock airbox out to get to the chargepipe. The issue was that the mounting bracket hole on the new charge pipe was no where close to the stock mounting point. I tried everything I could to move the charge pipe around, but honestly, you don't have much play at all, because of how the pipe mounts to the throttle body. I zip-tied it and contacted Harold.

He sent me another one, which basically had the hole in the bracket 'enlarged', and the exposed aluminum was 'sharpied' black (lol really?). Anyways, I go to install this one, and the hole is so big that the stock bushing practically falls out of it. So, I get it installed the best possible and send the first one back. On the plus side, the second one they sent me has the port for meth injection, which I planned on doing anyway.

The only difference you may notice is that it holds boost slightly better. The other positive to the charge pipe is that it allows for a meth injection upgrade in the future.