BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My first HPDE in the 135i

So I was down at the Ligtning track at NJMP with the NJ BMW club this past Mon-Tues. I had a great time, great instructors, and great group of folks to run with.

The car continued to impress me (and everybody else) throughout the 2 days. I really didn't expect to be passing E92 M3s, a Cayman S, and a vette, to name a few (to be fair, there was 1 particular Z06 [I believe modified] out there that was flying past me on the front straight on several occasions), with nothing more than map 5 on my JB4 and stock RFTs. My car was called "a beast" by several participants and instructors.

I ran with no traction control, but did leave the stability control on. The ZF tranny was OK most of the time, but it did have a habit of shifting at some inoportune times, like the top of the hill after turn 1. The car ran pretty consistently through the 2 days.

I did experience a soft brake pedal, however, but no fade. I think I may try different fluid to see if that helps. Track pads would be an improvement, too, I'm sure.

The biggest problem was the dreaded limp mode. It would pop on and off during the warmest times of the days and in the middle of the session. It would usually clear itself within a half lap and give me another 1.5-2 good laps before kicking on again. The worst time was when I managed to pass an R8 before the lightbulb and it went into limp mode as I was in the bulb, forcing me to let the R8 pass me back on the front straight. So my pleasure at what I had just done didn't last long. haha.

I am signed up to go back in June, but I'd love to figure out how to cure this limp mode problem before then without spending a bundle of money.

anyway, if anyone is on the fence about taking theirs to the track, just do it. You'll love it. And the NJ BMWCCA ran a great event, BTW. $400 for 2 days is a tough price to beat.
      04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

How did you turn off traction control but leave on the stability control on???!?!

To address your limp mode issues make sure your car has an oil cooler. From my understanding the early 2008 models didn't get one. The reason you get limp mode is b/c your oil temps are getting too hot. With the oil cooler you'll avoid it. I run in ambient temps of the 90's for 30 minute sessions with no limp mode. If you don't have an oil cooler to have your car last longer put it back on a stock map....less boost = less heat into the motor.
      04-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep

Driving with DTC "activated" I suppose you would say. They word it strangely in the manual, IMHO. All I know is I can get wheelspin in a straight line with the DTC message on.

Thanks for the reply. I do realize a cooler is probably the answer, but the ones I've found so far are quite expensive. It seems JC Whitney can sell universal oil coolers for $150, yet to get one specifically tailored to our cars is over $800 minimum? I consider that pricey.
      04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Matador
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Are you sure the 2008 modesl do not come with an oil cooler? i read somewhere else that we have one - not very large tough- should be easy to check anyways.
cheers
      04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
Driving with DTC "activated" I suppose you would say. They word it strangely in the manual, IMHO. All I know is I can get wheelspin in a straight line with the DTC message on.

Thanks for the reply. I do realize a cooler is probably the answer, but the ones I've found so far are quite expensive. It seems JC Whitney can sell universal oil coolers for $150, yet to get one specifically tailored to our cars is over $800 minimum? I consider that pricey.
Ah pressing the DTC once will raise the limits of the traction control and stability control and allow some wheel spin and some sliding, but it'll keep you from going to far. The car is significantly quicker with it all off. I drop 2 seconds a lap turning all the nannies off b/c it lets me put the power down when i want.

Easy way the oil cooler is to look for the radiator in the wheel well. The reason the BMW one is so expensive is b/c it's a full bolt in kit with new ducts for the wheel wells and all. It's not just the radiator, but all the other parts that go with it. Cheapest way to find one is at a junk yard from a totaled car where the front end was left alone.

BTW our cars will really surprise a lot of people on the track. I get looks and comments a lot, especially from mustang/vette owners who can't believe how fast our lil cars are. My personal favorite thing to do is try to hunt down GT3's haha.
      04-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Turn DSC completely off and you will get less limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
135iguy10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2010 Alpine White

I'm going with WindyCity BMW Chicago to The Joliet Autobhan on April 28-29. This was going to be my question too. Thanks all.

My second year of having the car ive tracked it stock. I'm currently modded. Just hunted a GTR on expressway ! Fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Turn DSC completely off and you will get less limp mode.
Why is that?
      04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
Why is that?
Afaik it only affects automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
If you have auto transmission there are few tips you should consider. Run the transmission in manual mode. Turn traction control completely off. This is big issue with this transmission as intervention of the traction control system adds massive amount heat back into the transmission via clutch slippage which ends up back into the coolant system.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Qbrozen
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting. Thanks.

I thought about running manual mode, but I find it rather annoying on this car when tracking thanks to the engineers deciding that the car should still shift for itself sometimes. So since it will upshift or downshift as it sees appropriate anyway, I just left it in DS. I'll try it next time and see what happens.