BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Frequency of activating MDM mode or DSC off

How frequently do you activate MDM mode or DSC off (all nannies off) ?

Not embarrassed to admit that I always leave all safety nannies on. They look after me and the physical integrity of my 1M as good as possible (and judging by the DSC icon flashing it seems that I give them regularly some work).

Perfectly aware about the fact that drifting is fun, but I got to look after my family and myself and I don't overestimate my driving skills. Crashing the 1M could cost more than just the value of the car. But that's just my (fortysomething) view.

EDIT: in 2012 I also posted a 'sister thread': http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779489 ("Frequency of activating M mode (M button)")

For your convenience I add chapter 4.4.4. (pages 28-29) of the official BMW 1M Technical Training that you find here.

Name:  1M_TT_MDM_DSC_01.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  46.9 KB
Name:  1M_TT_MDM_DSC_02.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  97.0 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 02-28-2015 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Added the 1M Technical Training excerpts
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I use MDM mode quite often, but I don't turn totally off much for the same reasons you mentioned.

Sometime ago there was a post asking about the "Weakest Point of the 1M". It's without question the Driver over estimating how good they are at Racing. Especially those who Track their car a couple times a year.

August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Definitely always turn on MDM & M Button On. Never really turn off all nannies.

My experience driving the 1M without MDM is extremely timid and it constantly engaged DSC at the slightest spirited throttle modulation, basically robbing you of any excitement out of the corners or during straight line acceleration.

Feels like car falls flat on its face constantly while mid corner.

I'm not sure if anyone else is with me but I kind of wish the MDM DSC tolerance limit was just a bit more aggressive (wish we could tune the MDM limits a Tiny bit).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

MDM mode, in combinaison with sport throttle during "dynamic drive", as I found the car is behaving better this way than with all the nannies.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
I use MDM mode quite often, but I don't turn totally off much for the same reasons you mentioned.

Sometime ago there was a post asking about the "Weakest Point of the 1M". It's without question the Driver over estimating how good they are at Racing. Especially those who Track their car a couple times a year.

Totally agree with all that. Almost never I leave DSC totally off, also because I have no real tracks near here just public roads. Leaving DSC off on public roads seems quite a risk to me since I have a good deal of scary memories from the past. MDM is good enough on the road though.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Everything on, street. Everything off, track.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
All nannies on during most daily drives. MDM on for some fun. On the track, a mix of all on and MDM. Instructors on track reckon faster times will be achieved with nannies on
More likely they just figure that you'll be safer (and put them at less risk) with the nannies on. I assure you that the 1M is much quicker -- but hairier -- with the nannies off.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
JohnnyCakes
Rep
Drives: 1-Series M

No truer words have been spoken... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Anyone run semi slicks,surely better for traction and can corner faster in the corners with mdm still activated(not holding back as much due to higher grip level from tyres) seems very sensitive to react on the o.e fitted tyres,fancy a trackday at some point with my car,right tyre will be important I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Day to day driving: all nannies on m Mode disengaged
Breakfast runs: mdm and m mode on. When stopping for stop streets and slow corners dsc off
      12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
How frequently do you activate MDM mode or DSC off (all nannies off) ?

Not embarrassed to admit that I always leave all safety nannies on. They look after me and the physical integrity of my 1M as good as possible (and judging by the DSC icon flashing it seems that I give them regularly some work).

Perfectly aware about the fact that drifting is fun, but I got to look after my family and myself and I don't overestimate my driving skills. Crashing the 1M could cost more than just the value of the car. But that's just my (fortysomething) view.
You just echoed my use of MDM.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

My car never goes into gear with any traction control activated. Only exception is rain or freezing temps.

For me the best part of this car is its tail happy ways. Gawd I love how much of a handful this car is when you press the go pedal
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I use MDM mode most of the time. Around home, (small rural town) I turn it all off in the winter, because I think its fun to drift around on snow and ice. On highway, if very slippery, I leave it all on. Otherwise MDM.
      12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

MDM and M button on mostly, unless I know I might be in danger of myself such as some spirited runs when I have to chase down a group then all nannies are on, or when I might be a little distracted where I know my response time is slower.

MDM is relatively safe as long as you still drives with respect of the car, but generally let you to put more power down. As long as you don't have a binary foot syndrome, or in need of wot out of every corner, I actually feel it is safer to get out of trouble. However, you have a higher chance of getting in trouble if you don't pay attention.

As Advevo stated, M button is crucial to ensure you have the throttle response when things goes wrong - so it is always on for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

MDM on all the time,except if raining. You all know what a mean(butt clenching )
      12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

MDM on always, except if raining or damp ground.... DSC very rarely OFF..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

This was what I was going to post. Completely agree with it all.
      12-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

DSC disabled 100% of the time (although I've yet to drive my car in the rain...when that day comes the DSC is staying on!!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
mickypal82
Things that make you go Mmmm
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
I keep them both on majority of the time otherwise when I turn them off I cant help myself!!!
ESS Tune | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Akrapovic DP's | ETS FMIC | GruppeM Intake | Eibach Springs | 20" Vertini Black Magic Rims | Electronic Performance Steering Wheel | LUX Angel Eyes | Lightweight Front Lip | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | Gloss Black Side Grills | Black Race Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Generally leave all on. If I know I'm in good conditions and on a road I know well and want to have a little fun ill flip MDM on.

Never all off.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #21
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

All on is way too intrusive in my opinion and on occation have found it more of a hazard when you need the power to avoid an issue and the squirrels are all asleep. Use MDM most of the time for day to day driving and always all off on the track (MDM strips away too much power).

It's important to learn how to drive the car not to depend on it driving for you. I've been instructing for the club for a long time and see way too many people relying on their cars to keep them safe. Track time is the best opportunity to really learn car control.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #22
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

I never drive with all nanies on, it is way too intrusive. MDM On 90% all off 10%..
I find MDM bit too conservative in the dry, just perfect when it s wet. But in the wet just be carefull it won t do much for you.
Appreciate 0