05-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Adding cigarette lighter/ashtray to car

Hey guys,

I decided to buy the cigarette lighter + ashtray from the dealer. I wanted to do a "Custom Install" for an item using the ash tray spot... But now I have this 12V socket that I would like to wire in.

Before I hard wire the 12V cigarette lighter into the car, does anyone know if the vehicle comes pre-wired for this option? We looked around and couldn't find a wire just hanging around... Mind you, we never looked hard.

Anyone with this accessory, do you know where the 12V gets it's power from?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I took my console out to install the iDrive cup holder but I didn't pay attention to where the wiring for the cigarette lighter came from. You might try looking at the DIY for the console removal, one of those pictures could give you a place to look. I remember disconnecting the wiring to get the console out.

I suspect the wiring is there because I think the smokers setup is pretty normal for Europe - or at least an available option. I doubt they make up special wiring harnesses for the cars without this.

Jim
      05-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thx. I'll give looking at the DIY stuff a shot!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

No luck. I have the panels off the car... Can't find the wires.

Anyone with the smokers package / front cigarette lighter, can you let me know where the 12V socket plugs in? I'm about to hard wire it with an Add-a-circuit, would rather use OEM wiring....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Sorry, I don't know and don't want to pull my console to look. I looked at the manual but it does not have a listing of what fuse does what. Is there anything on the back of the glove box? You may be able to tell what fuse it uses if the label is the same regardless of whether you have the smoker package.

I know the fuse must be at least 15A because I have powered my Viair compressor from it and it pulls 14A.

Jim
      06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
JohnCena
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO

Garage List
removing the console is a real PITA
dealer quotes 4 - 6 hours, it can be done follow the DIY i was considering it for my CF Trim

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle...t/viewall.html
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys.

I saw a pic that had the cig lighter plugging in just behind the shifter/in front of idrive interface. I definitely don't have a plug there.

I guess BMW changes the harness if you order w/ smokers package?

I just created a new circuit using an 'add-a-circuit'. No splicing, etc. Only problem is, I couldn't find a good illumination source. So right now, I have power but left the ring around the +12V socket unlit.

On a side note, you guys should see my iPhone mount. I'll post pics soon. I placed a magnet behind the lower trim in the center console. I have an iphone case with a built in magnet... Bam, perfect adhesion to the center console. Clean setup when the phone is removed...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
can anyone confirm there is NO place to plug in the cig lighter in the console wire harness without smokers package?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
... can you let me know where the 12V socket plugs in? I'm about to hard wire it with an Add-a-circuit, would rather use OEM wiring....
This is the WDS12/2009 wiring diagram which shows the OEM wire comes directly from the junction box connector X11001 pin8 (Behind Fuse 8 although that may have been changed in 2010), the eventual cigarette lighters under the armrest and in the trunk split of at junction 13660 which is located in the central wire loom just behind/underneath the left side of the glove compartment. This suggests that if your car did not come with the cigarette lighter, you'd have to retrofit the + wire (green/yellow) up to the fuse/junctionbox. The (brown) earthing (-) wire comes from the driver side foot well (X173/31) grounding point

WDS12 E8x Cigarette Lighter and charging sockets.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
... Only problem is, I couldn't find a good illumination source. So right now, I have power but left the ring around the +12V socket unlit...
For stripper cars: the closest practical dashboard light signal (this lighting signal can be dimmed through the car settings menu) is from the MDM- Emergency light-Door Close button array. This is a gray-red wire iirc
For Nav cars: you can draw this signal from the idrive knob illumination
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
For stripper cars: the closest practical dashboard light signal (this lighting signal can be dimmed through the car settings menu) is from the MDM- Emergency light-Door Close button array. This is a gray-red wire iirc
For Nav cars: you can draw this signal from the idrive knob illumination
On that note, for your inspiration on where to extract the dimmed instrument lighting signal:

WDS12 E8x Dimmed Instrument Lighting.pdf

- Missing on the right side of this diagram is the signal leading to your head unit entertainment solution.
- X908 is in the passenger side foot well outside of the car
- X1019 in in the main wire loom just on the right/behind the instrument cluster
- X1362 is in the driver foot well just above your brake pedal
- For right-hand-drive cars, mostly the same just mirrored

Last edited by eeghie; 03-05-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0