BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
shichen
M
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 1m VO/Milltek exhaust/GTS Rim

I've had this milltek installed on my VO for maybe a month now
But it's just a little not even level -wise when u look at it from the rear n sometimes it does make a metal sound when the road is bad
I don't know if I should change it back to the stock exhaust or sell Milltek then get Akrapovic Evo line?!
Anyone installed Milltek for 1m?
I really need your advises!
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shichen View Post
I've had this milltek installed on my VO for maybe a month now
But it's just a little not even level -wise when u look at it from the rear n sometimes it does make a metal sound when the road is bad
I don't know if I should change it back to the stock exhaust or sell Milltek then get Akrapovic Evo line?!
Anyone installed Milltek for 1m?
I really need your advises!
I only heard good things about the Milltek's 1M exhaust till now. I don't have it on my car but I can say that it might be just an installation issue from what you say. Are you sure whoever installed it did the perfect job? I really advise you to make sure of this before getting rid of the exhaust and return back to stock.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

I've had bad experience with Milltek fitment as well, more garage made like... Wont happen with Akrapovic...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

I fitted a full Milltek system to my 1M and think I may know what the problem may be....

Do your right hand side tailpipes sit higher than the left side? And my guess is that the pipework is very close to the small metal bracket on the left of the rear diff housing?

If so the system sinply hasn't been fitted properly. All of the sleeves need to be fully pushed home and the mounting in the near to the centre section is adjustable. Once the system is installed and aligned properly there is no noise, clearence to the diff is perfect and it sits level on the rear. I know this as I had the same problem on my car after a rushed installation so I took my time the second time and its now perfect.

Chris
      11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP View Post
I fitted a full Milltek system to my 1M and think I may know what the problem may be....

Do your right hand side tailpipes sit higher than the left side? And my guess is that the pipework is very close to the small metal bracket on the left of the rear diff housing?

If so the system sinply hasn't been fitted properly. All of the sleeves need to be fully pushed home and the mounting in the near to the centre section is adjustable. Once the system is installed and aligned properly there is no noise, clearence to the diff is perfect and it sits level on the rear. I know this as I had the same problem on my car after a rushed installation so I took my time the second time and its now perfect.

Chris
I had exactly the same issues due to installation. Now everythings fine.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
shichen
M
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP

Chris
ðŸ‘Yes Chris
Exactly... My right tip is a tiny bit higher than the left
It really bothers me
N sometime somewhere of the exhaust clashing with some part of the metal when the road is bad
So... I will ask my milltek shop to reinstall n recheck for me n forward your feedback to them
Hopefully it will fit perfectly again
I love the sounds really mellow and warm
Just this problems bother me all the time
Thx u so much
Will keep u guys updated after its done
^^
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ðŸ‘Yes Chris
Exactly... My right tip is a tiny bit higher than the left
It really bothers me
N sometime somewhere of the exhaust clashing with some part of the metal when the road is bad
So... I will ask my milltek shop to reinstall n recheck for me n forward your feedback to them
Hopefully it will fit perfectly again
I love the sounds really mellow and warm
Just this problems bother me all the time
Thx u so much
Will keep u guys updated after its done
^^
Once its fitted properly it will be perfect.

I thought mine was too quiet (Full Milltek including secondary cats delete) so being a UK Milltek dealer I just got them to make me a centre section with no silencer! Now sounds much better

Chris
      11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
shichen
M
Taiwan
Rep

I want that too,,, cuz it sounds now good but kinda too quiet
So i want my mid section without resonator as well... How should I do that!?😳
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I want that too,,, cuz it sounds now good but kinda too quiet
So i want my mid section without resonator as well... How should I do that!?😳
I have another potential customer for one also so let me get a price for you and let you know. We are a UK Milltek dealer and can export for you to Taiwan no problem.

Chris
      11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
shichen
M
Taiwan
Rep

aFoto from the rear

this is the foto
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Photo shows the same as my car was initially. Just needs to be re-fitted properly....

Chris
      11-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
shichen
M
Taiwan
Rep

Yes ... I forward your notes to my local dealer
He will keep me posted
Looking forward to get it right

Thx Man
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have another potential customer for one also so let me get a price for you and let you know. We are a UK Milltek dealer and can export for you to Taiwan no problem.

Chris
Can you do that for me to please? I really love the sound but it may be a bit more . Removing the big silencer must help this out. Otherwise i will have to get downpipe but i like this idea more. A local exhaust shop was not keen to help me because i did not bought it there.
I presume you make a Y-tube to fit the midsection with the muffler?
Thx in advance
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
Can you do that for me to please? I really love the sound but it may be a bit more . Removing the big silencer must help this out. Otherwise i will have to get downpipe but i like this idea more. A local exhaust shop was not keen to help me because i did not bought it there.
I presume you make a Y-tube to fit the midsection with the muffler?
Thx in advance
Do you have the MILLTEK fitted to your car at the moment?

The section we have available from Milltek is a replacement centre section (non-resonated / no silencer) for cars fitted with a Milltek exhaust system.

The Milltek system consists of the following:
1 x LH Secondary Cat-Bypass Pipe
1 x RH Secondary Cat-Bypass Pipe
1 x Centre Silencer Assembly**
1 x Connecting Pipe
1 x Rear Silencer Assembly

Pipework is 3" and tailpipes are quad 80mm

**The section I had developed on my car by Milltek is a non-resonated (louder) centre pipe assembly with the silencer removed.

I hope this makes sense if any other MILLTEK users want their car louder and for it to sound like an RB26 engined Skyline (which mine now does) then please PM me as I have a quantity of these on order

Cheers, Chris
      11-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the MILLTEK fitted to your car at the moment?

The section we have available from Milltek is a replacement centre section (non-resonated / no silencer) for cars fitted with a Milltek exhaust system.

The Milltek system consists of the following:
1 x LH Secondary Cat-Bypass Pipe
1 x RH Secondary Cat-Bypass Pipe
1 x Centre Silencer Assembly**
1 x Connecting Pipe
1 x Rear Silencer Assembly

Pipework is 3" and tailpipes are quad 80mm

**The section I had developed on my car by Milltek is a non-resonated (louder) centre pipe assembly with the silencer removed.

I hope this makes sense if any other MILLTEK users want their car louder and for it to sound like an RB26 engined Skyline (which mine now does) then please PM me as I have a quantity of these on order

Cheers, Chris
Chris, i have the full factory exhaust, called " Primary catback "

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=Milltek

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

For clarity here are some pictures of the new MILLTEK non-resonated centre section (removes the central silencer from the MILLTEK system). This sounds much better than the standard Milltek system which uses a large central silencer and gives the 1M the exhaust note it needs! The car now sounds similar to an Nissan RB26 engine in a GTR Skyline R32/33/34

MILLTEK full primary-cat back exhaust system WITH CENTRE SILENCER next to the OE 1M BMW exhaust system:

The MILLTEK Centre silencer & secondary cat-bypass pipes (looking forward to the engine)

Our NEW MILLTEK Non-Resonated (centre silencer removed) centre section & secondary cat-bypass pipes (looking forward to the engine)

As you can see this new MILLTEK section simply removes the central MILLTEK silenced section and replaces it with a non-resonsated pipe.

We have a number of these on their way to us now so please PM if you're interested in making your 1M Milltek sound MUCH BETTER!

Cheers, Chris
      11-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

They should have made it like that from the beginning. How do you put that thing between the existing pipe work? I hope my dealer can fix this for me...
I hope welding on inox is the same as on steel otherwise i have a problem.
Anyway you may order one for me and i'll solve the problems when they appear
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
They should have made it like that from the beginning. How do you put that thing between the existing pipe work? I hope my dealer can fix this for me...
I hope welding on inox is the same as on steel otherwise i have a problem.
Anyway you may order one for me and i'll solve the problems when they appear

Don't worry as it just replaces theMilltek silencer which has sleeve fittings with clamps. 3 clamps off and swap over!

Cheers, Chris
      11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry as it just replaces theMilltek silencer which has sleeve fittings with clamps. 3 clamps off and swap over!

Cheers, Chris
Wonderfull! I thought it needed welding at the bottom end ( muffler side )
Keep me posted concerning delivery! I'm really looking forward to hear the sound!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
Yeah i watched a couple of audi guys burn their rear diffuser with the exhaust sitting higher on one side. My buddy who has a b7 rs4 was one of them he burned his diffuser with one of his exhaust tips. then he went and got it checked out and the tech told him the piping was smaller than oem piping. personally i wouldn't go with milltek
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #21
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IS View Post
Yeah i watched a couple of audi guys burn their rear diffuser with the exhaust sitting higher on one side. My buddy who has a b7 rs4 was one of them he burned his diffuser with one of his exhaust tips. then he went and got it checked out and the tech told him the piping was smaller than oem piping. personally i wouldn't go with milltek
Milltek are respected here in the UK as one of the very best VW / Audi product developers with a massive range available. Any burnt diffusers are a direct consequence of poor fitting and technicians simply not reading the Milltek installation guide. From experience the systems fot great once they are fitted correctly.

Anyone should realise that tailpipes should be level and if left they risk of burning bumpers / diffusers is a real danger just as it would be with any poorly fitted system from any manufacturer.

I love my Milltek on my 1M, still have a Milltek on my FN2 Civic Type R (fitted 5 years ago) and would choose one for any future car.

Chris
      11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Milltek are respected here in the UK as one of the very best VW / Audi product developers with a massive range available. Any burnt diffusers are a direct consequence of poor fitting and technicians simply not reading the Milltek installation guide. From experience the systems fot great once they are fitted correctly.

Anyone should realise that tailpipes should be level and if left they risk of burning bumpers / diffusers is a real danger just as it would be with any poorly fitted system from any manufacturer.

I love my Milltek on my 1M, still have a Milltek on my FN2 Civic Type R (fitted 5 years ago) and would choose one for any future car.

Chris
It does sound good no arguement there but i wouldnt sacrifice power for sound and the pipes do look smaller than oem in the picture
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0