BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

So, I have a BIG problem with my 1M

I am in the midst of a very big problem. Here's what happened, any input would be greatly appreciated:
Three months ago I had a crash with my baby M. It could've been much worse but luckily I got off relatively unscathed on the whole thing. I hit a rock with my rear right wheel, busted the wheel, tire and part of the suspension. Then I ended up in a ditch on the side on the road with some damage to the front right part of the car but that was about it. It took about 2 months for the parts to get here and then 2 more weeks for the dealer to get it all fixed up and ready.
Now comes the interesting part, the day before they gave it back, the manager of the dealer called me and told me that the water pump had failed when they were testing it and that it would take a couple more days. Then the day before they gave it back, he called me again and told me that there was "a strange sound coming from the engine" and asked me if I had any modifications that could cause this. Here are my mods:
- Akra slip on + Maddad midpipe
- ER Chargepipe
- AFE intake
- I had Evolve R installed before but the car has the stock map on.
- P3Cars Gauge

So I went to pick up my car and the "strange noise" was a horrible whining sound that really scared me when I heard it, my guess was it was the turbos. As I thought, the car had no boost whatsoever and the whining noise was awful. The manager handed me the car as it it was ready to take home except of course for the "strange noise". I took a drive and returned it immediately.
Then the real problem started when they brought the car back in to check it out. They told me that their diagnostics computer could not establish communication with my car and they gave two reasons. First they told me it was because I had probably tuned it and that was why they could not read the computer on my 1M and that would void the warranty on the turbos. I explained to them that the map was stock and told them I that the car was not tuned. Then they saw the P3Cars Gauge and told me that then the problem was probably caused by the person that installed the gauge and that the gauge was interfering with the communication. I explained to them that the gauge only used the OBD port to read info from the computer, and told them that if the gauge was reading the data then why couldn't they communicate with it.
They told me they were going to check it, and told me to give them the stock chargepipe and air filter to swap them them back and try the car again. It stayed there since about december 20th until now.
Today I spoke with them and they said they think the problem if effectively the turbo but that since they cannot communicate with the computer they cannot get a report and process the claim through the warranty. They said that there are 3 channels in the OBD port and that the gauge is probably reading data from the emergency line, but they cannot get the communication going through the other two lines to get the warranty claim.
Does ANYBODY have ANY ideas on what could be going on?! I spoke with Evolve and they told me that there shouldn't be a problem with the communication, even if the had the other map on, but it's stock. Help!
      01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Why not just unplug the P3 and try that?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

First off sorry to hear this. I think what he is trying to tell you that Evolve software prevents them from reading the codes... will be hard to argue that.

If it's the turbos and they deny warranty it sucks but on the bright side you can be the first 1M candidate to get the Vargas upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Car had a tune on it. They have every right to deny warranty. Sorry for you luck, but you have to pay to play.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Car had a tune on it. They have every right to deny warranty. Sorry for you luck, but you have to pay to play.
I don't think that they want to deny warranty. Normally dealer is quite 'open' to repair damages in warranty, he is paid from BMW and the client is happy.
I think that here the problem is that the dealr can not open a warranty number because the procedure needs some comunication via OBD.
So you have to solve the problem in comunication via OBD, I would speak to Evolve first of all
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Disconnect gauge and push them again. Don't gave up. Also about whining maybe it is gasket between gearbox and engine like some of here experienced and it is known problem for N54.

Keep pushing on them...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEvo6 View Post
I don't think that they want to deny warranty. Normally dealer is quite 'open' to repair damages in warranty, he is paid from BMW and the client is happy.
I think that here the problem is that the dealr can not open a warranty number because the procedure needs some comunication via OBD.
So you have to solve the problem in comunication via OBD, I would speak to Evolve first of all
I agree with this too; since OT's car was accepted even with ER charge pipe and AFe intake on it and the dealer seems to be allright with those. That particular dealer doesn't seem to have an intention of denying warranty.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

+1

Seems that your dealer wants to take care of it, but the car appears to be muzzled by some software or hardware issue. So enable it to re-establish contact. Remove/disconnect/reset anything non-stock that might possible interfere with normal communication. Good luck.

"Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom ?"
      01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
ZA_1M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

If the problem still persists after a reset / remove /reflash, should the dealer not open a PUMA case?

Is the OBD reading a software / hardware version at least?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

Sorry to hear about your crash bro, hope everything gets resolved. Like the others mentioned, take out the P3 gauge and try to put it back to stock as possible. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Did your car have the strange sound immediatley after the damage, or after it was serviced? Was there any significant change in the mileage after service?
      01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Damn bro, hope everything gets taken care of, I know what it feels like to get the run around from a stealership; but it doesn't seem like that's what they are doing. I'm with everyone else, remove the gauge, hard reset on the batt and see if it works... GL!
      01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep

Of course it was unplugged. The guys at the dealer plugged their diagnostics cable to the OBD in my car, the problem was that their cable wasn't getting any information from my car once it was connected. They guys at the dealer thought that in order to install the gauge someone had messed with the OBD port and reprogrammed something, but this is incorrect, the gauge is simply plug and play and it reads data from the OBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Why not just unplug the P3 and try that?

Last edited by diegorst; 01-10-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
You completely missed my point. They are not denying the warranty claim. They dealer cannot diagnose the problem with my turbos through their diagnostics cable (for whatever reason) and they cannot open the warranty claim as dEvo6 said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEvo6 View Post
Evolve don't know what's going on and they found it odd that the dealer could not diagnose the problem, they told me that even if the car had the tune loaded, the dealer should still be able to diagnose whats going on through the OBD port.

Anyway, the charge pipe and air intake are back to stock just in case and they are trying to figure out what's going on.
Fingers crossed.
      01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Have you been able to load the sock tune back on?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Have you been able to load the sock tune back on?
Yes I was able to load the stock tune back on, so in that matter I know the OBD port is working just fine.
      01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep

UPDATE

So finally good news (although I am bit suspicious about the fools at my local BMW dealer).
The good news is that they were finally able to get the diagnostic for my car via the OBD port. The bad news is that the turbos were the problem, they for some reason failed (my car has 12K kilometers).
The really good news is that my insurance company is extending the coverage of my initial collision, so they are covering the turbos!!
It was approved already so I am just waiting for the dealer to get them and have my baby M totally restored!
The only thing that bothers me is that I find it very suspicious that the bastards at the dealer took 3 weeks to "communicate with my car" and get the diagnostic for what we already knew was the problem: the turbos. And not only that, this happened almost magically and out of the blue only when the insurance company said they would cover it, but before when it was supposed to be a warranty claim to BMW, they (for reasons unknown to them or me) could not get the diagnostic from my car to process the warranty claim...I hate them!!
So now I just have to wait for them to get the parts imported and get my car rolling. What sort of break-in period do you guys think is necessary for my new turbos?!?
      01-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Great news.

Once you've confirmed that everything is working properly (boost ok, no oil leaks), you can go for it! To the best of my knowledge, turbos don't require any break-in.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Something definitely doesn't add up in this story.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
That's great news. I suspect the dealer isn't a fool, but rather there is really something amiss with your car's comms.

Both turbos replaced?
Yep, both of them!