BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Aussie Top gear creates big bill...

From news.com.au: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-10229,00.html

FILMING of the Australian series of Top Gear has turned into a demolition derby with a repair bill close to $200,000.

Eager driving and wild stunts have left a trail of destruction behind the Top Gear team that goes beyond the expected bill for bald tyres from slides and burnouts.

Luxury cars have needed total resprays because of flying stones, and lesser brands have reported damage from silly stunts created for the SBS TV show, which is unofficially confirmed for a second series in 2009.

Some of the most expensive repair bills involved a Lamborghini, which is believed to have sustained about $25,000 damage during filming, while a group of Holden Astras needed $30,000 to restore them after they were used in a game of "lawn bowls".

"We have no appetite for automotive Jackass," the spokesman for one of the damaged brands said.

"When they revisit series two, they will encounter a lot of shut doors," said another.

"All we will say is that it turned out to be a very expensive test drive," said Holden spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale of the Astra bowls stunt.

The show's producers failed to return the Herald Sun's phone calls.

I will say that they must have been mad to not expect damage. but it's interesting to see the rumoured amounts.
      12-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

I just read this as well. What actually happened to the Lambo to cause 25k worth of damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

the front bumper probably got a scrape on it
      12-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

"When they revisit series two, they will encounter a lot of shut doors," said another.

thanks for posting: made my day!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
"We have no appetite for automotive Jackass"

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Really that stunt when they were playing lawn bowls with the astras, I just thought it was too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
^^ agreed. Just blatantly smashing up new cars is not warranted or funny.

The only examples I can think of where TopGear UK damaged new cars was the soccer game and the ice hockey game and in those instances the BBC had bought the cars. In every other case they smash up second-hand cars that they have clearly bought. (and the odd caravan...)

If I was Holden I would have been royally pissed at getting the Astras back in that state.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
$200k isn't that much in the production of a tv show surely?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

true, but then i guess its all relative. even $200 is too much when the product at the other end is garbage.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
true, but then i guess its all relative. even $200 is too much when the product at the other end is garbage.
LOL! True
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

But then the 200,000 might have been only for car repairs but does not include all the cost of productions plus the wages.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

$200,000 for some scatches that will just buff out! Ha!

But seriously, i wouldn't lend them a 1980 Brock Lada, yet alone a real car.
      12-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
My understanding after reading a few other articles on the topic is that the cars were just returned damaged and the car companies had to pay for the repairs. That would understandably piss them off.

No different than the 'customer' that took a new M3 from our testing centre here at BMW and returned it 8 hours later with €11k in damage including 4 bald tires and broken suspension.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
My understanding after reading a few other articles on the topic is that the cars were just returned damaged and the car companies had to pay for the repairs. That would understandably piss them off.

No different than the 'customer' that took a new M3 from our testing centre here at BMW and returned it 8 hours later with €11k in damage including 4 bald tires and broken suspension.
Ouch! What happened to the guy? Was he made to pay up? And what did he do to the car -- take it down to the 'Ring?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #15
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Ouch! What happened to the guy? Was he made to pay up? And what did he do to the car -- take it down to the 'Ring?
The police were waiting when he returned. He had essentially stolen it as the test drive contract is for 1 hour. And we sent him the bill to repair it. Haven't heard if he paid or not.

Apparently he took it to Spa and thrashed it. Dunno what he did to it to break the suspension but I guess it's not that hard to do if you treat it really badly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Um ... just watched Clarkson blow a tyre in a cloud of Bentley Brooklands smoke (series 11, ep 3). Damage to loaned cars goes with the territory on Top Gear, whether it be the UK original or the Australian version.

BTW, Warren Brown has responded to all this criticism in an interesting article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001030,00.html
      12-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
I just read this as well. What actually happened to the Lambo to cause 25k worth of damage?
Coincidentally, on Sunday I spoke to one of the drivers for Motor and other ACP publications while doing a defensive driving course at EC. We spoke about all the cars he had test drove recently and had mentioned a high end Lambo, I think it was the LP5... or LP640... something like that. Apparently the airstrip they took the car to is covered in gravel and they completely destroyed the outside in stone chips. He said that Lambo had brushed it off saying not to worry about it, so maybe there's been a stretch of the truth at either end... not sure.

ps. Awesome day and highly recommended - basically a skid pan and your 135i, with really easy going and understanding instructors. There are obviously rules but within the boundaries of the exercise you could go nuts. Really helped me understand the limits of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #18
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
Coincidentally, on Sunday I spoke to one of the drivers for Motor and other ACP publications while doing a defensive driving course at EC. We spoke about all the cars he had test drove recently and had mentioned a high end Lambo, I think it was the LP5... or LP640... something like that. Apparently the airstrip they took the car to is covered in gravel and they completely destroyed the outside in stone chips. He said that Lambo had brushed it off saying not to worry about it, so maybe there's been a stretch of the truth at either end... not sure.

ps. Awesome day and highly recommended - basically a skid pan and your 135i, with really easy going and understanding instructors. There are obviously rules but within the boundaries of the exercise you could go nuts. Really helped me understand the limits of the car.
I'll second that recommendation. James and his colleagues at Driving Solutions put on a bloody good day, and the training is invaluable for learning about the handling of your car. I've made it a personal policy to do a driver training day whenever I buy a new car and will do so once I've finished running in my 135. Highly recommended!