BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Can we pop the clutch in our cars?

I live on a hill and usually do this in my GTI where I turn the key all the way without the clutch down and as I build up speed I just pop the clutch in 3rd gear and drive off...

Can it be done with this car by just turning on the electronics on the start/stop without pressing the clutch down?

07-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Uhh.... A more important question would be: Why the hell would you want to? Do you really just roll down a hill and clutch start your cars and drive off without letting the car to warm up at all? Do you not care at all for your transmission or motors increased wear?

If not, then go for it. Im sure itll work like any other manual ive ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Nothing ever happened to the transmission/engine in my family's 190E with over 400k miles on it and 28 years of ownership nor my GTI with 120k miles and 6 years of ownership.

I was just wondering if it can be done. That's all.
      07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

There is only one way to find out. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Nothing ever happened to the transmission/engine in my family's 190E with over 400k miles on it and 28 years of ownership nor my GTI with 120k miles and 6 years of ownership.

I was just wondering if it can be done. That's all.
Trying to be as nice as I can here .... but ...

It would have been quicker if you walked outside and tried it and reported back your findings then waiting for a reponse online. Im sure it'll let you do it no problem as long as the key is in the ON position.

We all care for our cars differently though, so carry on with whatever works for you...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Trying to be as nice as I can here .... but ...

It would have been quicker if you walked outside and tried it and reported back your findings then waiting for a reponse online. Im sure it'll let you do it no problem as long as the key is in the ON position.

We all care for our cars differently though, so carry on with whatever works for you...
:Thumbup:

I feel ya.....I am out of town for the weekend and the thought occurred to me during my drive.

I will post results ASAP...
      07-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Yes you can. I hit a deer, luckily I had slowed enough to not kill the deer, and the only damage was one headlight, but I locked up the brakes trying to miss the deer, and stalled the engine in the process. I still was going about 10mph after I tagged the deer, so I put it into second and popped the clutch and continued on home.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Yes you can. I hit a deer, luckily I had slowed enough to not kill the deer, and the only damage was one headlight, but I locked up the brakes trying to miss the deer, and stalled the engine in the process. I still was going about 10mph after I tagged the deer, so I put it into second and popped the clutch and continued on home.

That's ridiculous....you just kept driving like a boss.....nice
Sucks that it still happened though.....
      07-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
lmao
      07-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I live on a hill and usually do this in my GTI where I turn the key all the way without the clutch down and as I build up speed I just pop the clutch in 3rd gear and drive off...

Can it be done with this car by just turning on the electronics on the start/stop without pressing the clutch down?

As with nearly all MT's, yes it works.

Is there a reason why you don't just use the starter?
I know you're just asking out of curiosity, but I would just use the starter unless you really need to clutch start the car.

No need to worry about warming up the car to start it the way you describe.
BMW's own recommendation is not to let the engine idle to warm it up.
Driving with moderate throttle and engine speed will warm the engine, oil, and other moving parts quicker than just idling.
Just don't use big throttle inputs and high engine RPM until you at least see the oil temp needle move towards normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
As with nearly all MT's, yes it works.

Is there a reason why you don't just use the starter?
I know you're just asking out of curiosity, but I would just use the starter unless you really need to clutch start the car.

No need to worry about warming up the car to start it the way you describe.
BMW's own recommendation is not to let the engine idle to warm it up.
Driving with moderate throttle and engine speed will warm the engine, oil, and other moving parts quicker than just idling.
Just don't use big throttle inputs and high engine RPM until you at least see the oil temp needle move towards normal.
Yes I reverse into my driveway and when I leave the house I just turn the key, put in neutral and as it is rolling down during that time I put on my seatbelt and make any other small adjustments before driving. Sometimes I am just in the mood to pop the clutch and go.
      07-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Like the rest of us with a 128i, the OP was not favored with either an oil or water temp gauge.

The usual workaround is to check the oil level as the engine can be considered sufficiently warm when there is a reading.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes I reverse into my driveway and when I leave the house I just turn the key, put in neutral and as it is rolling down during that time I put on my seatbelt and make any other small adjustments before driving. Sometimes I am just in the mood to pop the clutch and go.
Isn't it rough on the engine mounts to do this regularly?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The start button in my car won't do anything without the clutch being depressed. As a lifetime standard transmission driver, I cringed when I read how you start on this hill.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

When I got out of school, I leased a Mitsu Eclipse GST that if you drove through even the smallest puddle it would trigger an ignition lock and after you turned off the car, twisting the key wouldn't fire the starter. However leaving it on a slight incline and popping the clutch was a fail safe way to get it going again. So anytime it rained, or if I just drove through a puddle, the only way to get it going again was to park on an incline and pop the clutch. It didn't seem to matter how long I was away from the car, upon getting the underside wet, returning to the car meant the traditional key in ignition would not work and popping the clutch was the only method to starting that stupid piece of sh**.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The start button in my car won't do anything without the clutch being depressed. As a lifetime standard transmission driver, I cringed when I read how you start on this hill.
And if I were the car's computer, I wouldn't know what to think...
      07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My guess is it will work but I have found it a little hard to press the start button long enough to turn the car on when coding the car. I wonder if it wouldn't be the same bump starting. I use INPA, when coding, just to see if I've pressed the START button correctly.

I also want to comment that I have found the concept of bump starting to be one that is hard for some people to understand. When I was in college, about 30 years ago now, I ruined my battery one semester by leaving the headlights on for a week. I didn't have the money to replace it so I bump started it for the rest of the semester. My dates really didn't understand the concept, even with multiple explanations. This was in Kansas, which is quite flat once you go a bit west, so I was pushing the car up to speed with my date in the drivers seat. Messed up a few evenings with this.

My late wife also bump started me more recently but still more than 10 years ago. I had a Fiat 124 spyder briefly and it liked to quit on me across town at the airport. One time it was the starter. Rather than replace the starter in the parking lot I called her to come with her baby blue station wagon (with woodgrain sides) to pull me up to speed so I could bump start it. Her job was just to drive slowly. She did it well and I got the car started but then she stopped. I wanted her to follow me home so I looked out my door at what she was doing. She was putting my back bumper (the part we pulled on) into the back of her wagon. It seems the brackets were really rusty and failed. Not amusing.

Jim
      08-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

It's confirmed.....start the car without pressing the clutch to turn on electronics.....build up speed and pop the clutch and drive off....there is a bonging noise that warns you the car is moving without the engine being on though.

cheers
      08-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
It's confirmed.....start the car without pressing the clutch to turn on electronics.....build up speed and pop the clutch and drive off....there is a bonging noise that warns you the car is moving without the engine being on though.

cheers
Video or it didn't happen
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
She was putting my back bumper (the part we pulled on) into the back of her wagon. It seems the brackets were really rusty and failed. Not amusing.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Like the rest of us with a 128i, the OP was not favored with either an oil or water temp gauge.

The usual workaround is to check the oil level as the engine can be considered sufficiently warm when there is a reading.

Tom
My bad.
I thought the 128i also had an oil temp gauge.
That sucks, but you already knew that.

As for starting and driving off on a cold engine, you can still do that.
As you know, just don't use high rpm and/or big throttle for at least 5-10 minutes in warm temps, and 10-15 in cold temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Video or it didn't happen
Send me an iPhone/Droid so I can record it and upload it onto youtube.

No Really