BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Need DP Fix To Pass Emission

After much research and reading on this subject from 1addicts and N54Tech forums, below is my conclusion.

If you have a catless DP, you will need a DP Fix to pass the emission test even you have JB4 installed.

The JB4 auto code clear feature only hide all error codes (CEL and or SES lights will still light up but no error codes will be recorded), but the ECU still recorded the incorrect O2 sensors readings.

Once you flip it to map 0, the ECU will detect 29F4 and 29F5 error codes right the way and no way you will pass the emission test.

Also, you must drive your car 1-2 weeks (or 50-80 miles) in various drive cyles with no new error code thown in order to pass the "Readyness" test.

You simply cannot flip it to map 0 the last minute before the emission test and expect it to pass the "Readyness" test. Not until you have DP Fix installed.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Despite the fact that my Cobb AP also suppresses the check-engine light, I have now ordered the DP fix from BMS. It also helps when you bring the car in for service since you can re-flash the stock firmware and not get any check-engine lights.

So yeah, I agree with you that despite various tunes hiding the symptom, it's still best to fix the problem. I'll install mine this weekend....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Does anyone know if DP fix is available for n55?
I want to install catless DP, but as OP said, you cant pass emission test without that device.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Glad you figured it out.People who produce products for street use have to be very careful what they say on forums and to custermers.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

You know some states have a rule where if the ECU isn't acting right they can auto pass it. I found this out on a POS suzuki that the ECU wouldn't go into a ready state for the emissions. On the 2nd attempt they gave it a waiver that went into their computer. That was in PA. I had a buddy try it on his Maxima that wouldn't pass and after two attempts of the ECU not being ready they passed it. That was in MD. PA did not have the equipment to test the tailpipe but MD did and they still chose not too. The guys in MD said it was a big joke that most of the employee cars couldn't pass the tailpipe test but they knew all the ways around the system. If you have the time it might be worth a try, unless your in CA I'm sure they won't let that stuff fly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Man that is a crap shoot.
Here is Houston they will randomly decide to run your car on the little dyno with the tailpipe sniffer. I have failed and at that point the info has been recorded to big brother. Oh, and the results show on CarFax that you failed emissions.

So, don't get tested where they have the little dyno. And never race a car with a parachute!
Appreciate 0