BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Car makes whining sound when driving

Hey guys, my car makes a whining sound when I start to brake, brake and turn, and if I drive it hard enough through the turns it will make the sound going in and out of the turn. I can't figure what it is really but I think it might be a belt? Tonight I pulled up to my house after trying to replicate the sound (which worked btw) and checked under the hood to see where it was coming from and it sounded like it was coming from the belt in front of the alternator or possibly the alternator itself. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

It doesn't like the way you're driving it. Or.....wtf do you mean by "whiniing"?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
It doesn't like the way you're driving it. Or.....wtf do you mean by "whiniing"?
Lol well let me be more specific, I installed some front coils, after I did then the sounds started coming. It sounds as if the tires are rubbing against the splash guards in the wheel well compartments but still makes the sound even if I stop. So I know it must be linked with something going on with the motor. I can also hear the sound when i shift. When I apply gas, it gets louder and when I shift it gets less intense but comes back. It'll go away if I drive in a straight line for a while though. The sound could be best described as rubber on plastic while moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Sounds like bushing you are talking about. I get no experience with noise, but read something about longer links for the swaybar if your car is lowered. Wait a few hours, some pro might jumps in.

Kcc
      08-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

the inputs to cause the noise sounds like engine RPM and turning which leads me to believe its a steering pump.. which make whinning noise when they are going out.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
the inputs to cause the noise sounds like engine RPM and turning which leads me to believe its a steering pump.. which make whinning noise when they are going out.
thank you, i was debating if it was that or the serpentine belt or alternator. ill have a mechanic check it out. thanks buddy
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
benrappaport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.66]
i bet its the power steering pump
Appreciate 0