BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Stett Chargepipe install concerns

I purchased astett chargepipe with tial bov from a forum member here and installed it last night, i have some concerns though with fitment. In my opinion the fitment was very bad. The pipefitsawkwardlyin the throttle body coupler and then thepipe seems to rest or press against some hoses thatare between it and the strut tower. I also have the bms dci setup and the aythe bov sits the cone towards the radiator is fully resting on the top of the bov. I am just alarmed that over time this awkward fitment will wearon these items? I played with it a fair amount trying to get it to line up better but it just seemed forced in any position, is this normal? Any adivce is appreciated and I will upload photos later. Its a 2011 1m its installed in if that makes any difference in extra lines in the area etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I've never seen a STETT installed in person but sometimes it takes a bit of fidgeting to get it to seat perfectly. Do you have any pictures?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I attached a picture of what I'm talking about, I redid it a little last night with t clamps instead of the ones pictured and tried to pull some of the pressure of the hoses between the chargepipe and shock tower, I think it will be fine but I don't want to damage those hoses due to an ill fitting part or my poor handywork whichever it is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I see what you're saying about the tial rubbing against that line, it's hard to say if it'll be a big deal without seeing it in person, but unless it's seriously pressing against it I doubt it will be an issue. Sometimes people don’t properly seat the throttle body coupler/clamp on these types of chargepipes, that's personally why I prefer the ER design, once it's seated correctly it's plainly obvious. Yours looks well seated on the lip though, so that doesn't look to be the problem here. As for the DCI, every set of cones i've seen on an N54 sits a bit differently, one trick is to take a hairdryer to the inlet accordian piping and gently heat it up a bit, then *carefully* pull it in one direction. You can get it to stretch or move a decent amount this way, it's the easiest way to put the stock airbox back on if you need to remove the dci, but it would serve the same purpose here by hopefully being less in the way of your bov. The piping is in a very hot engine bay so don't worry about melting it, but take your time and fidget around, see if you can change the charge pipe positioning at all. GL!

Edit: just looking at this picture reminds me how un-fun it can be to work in our engine bay, so cramped...Just putting the cowl and hvac back on last night for service frustrated me, I called it a night after getting the outside screws on, if the techs want to replace the 2 other screws they're welcome to but i lost patience on such a useless part of the car. Lol.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0