BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

it's more than just a mirror. the mirror is controlled through a control module called the FRM. and i'm sure there's some other signals involved. so no, i don't think it's possible to retro-fit parking aid mirrors. well, i'm sure it's possbile, but not worth the time/money to retro-fit it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

i was just thinking about this today.
i HATE that feature.

if anyone knows a way to TURN IT OFF, can you PLEASE PLEASE check me a private message???? id love to turn that off....you cant see anything!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
I have the premium, but no power seats, and my mirror doesnt dip.
i think thats impossible. power seats COME with the premium package...at least in the US
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #26
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
it's more than just a mirror. the mirror is controlled through a control module called the FRM. and i'm sure there's some other signals involved. so no, i don't think it's possible to retro-fit parking aid mirrors. well, i'm sure it's possbile, but not worth the time/money to retro-fit it
I would think this retrofit could be possible. It should just be a switch that is triggered when you put the car in reverse which notifies the FRM. Then the FRM dips the mirror. It shouldn't be all that complicated. The FRM shouldn't be much different than an auto down/up window module. It just has to move the mirror down then once the car is taken out of reverse it will return its original position.
      01-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
i was just thinking about this today.
i HATE that feature.

if anyone knows a way to TURN IT OFF, can you PLEASE PLEASE check me a private message???? id love to turn that off....you cant see anything!!
I believe if you keep the switch to the driver side for the mirrors the feature (miror dip down) will not work
      01-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #28
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Outside mirror: E70, E71, E81, E82, E87, E90, E91, E92, E93
The exterior mirror is available in 2 versions:
-
Standard exterior mirrors
With the standard version, the exterior mirrors are electrically adjustable and heated.
-
Special equipment exterior mirrors
Electrochromic exterior mirrors with memory and folding functions are available as an option. A LIN bus is included with these options.

Construction
- Standard exterior mirrors

Item
Description
Item
Description
Footwell module
Driver's door switch block
Exterior mirror adjustment, passenger side
Mirror heating, passenger side
Junction box electronics (JBE)
Mirror heating, driver's side
Exterior mirror adjustment, driver's side

K-CAN
Body CAN
Kl. 58g
Terminal 58g (locating lamp)

- Special equipment exterior mirrors

Item
Description
Item
Description
Footwell module
Driver's door switch block
Mirror heating, passenger side
Motor for folding in the mirror (front-passenger side door mirror)
Mirror position recognition for memory, passenger-side
Electronics for electrochromic exterior mirror (passenger-side)
Mirror adjustment, passenger-side
Junction box electronics (JBE)
Mirror adjustment, driver's side
Electronics for electrochromic exterior mirror (driver's side)
Mirror position recognition for memory, driver's side
Motor for folding in the mirror (driver's side door mirror)
Mirror heating, driver's side

Kl. 30g
Terminal 30g active
Kl. 31
Terminal 31
Kl. 58g
Terminal 58g (locating lamp)

K-CAN
Body CAN
LIN bus
Local data bus

How it works
The following functions are described for the exterior mirrors:
-
Horizontal and vertical adjustment
-
Folds the mirrors in and out
-
Memory function
-
Mirror heating
-
Safety functions
-
Electrochromic exterior mirrors

Horizontal and vertical adjustment
The exterior mirrors can be adjusted in the horizontal and the vertical with the mirror adjustment switch (button pad with 4 arrows = 4 directions). The mirror adjustment switch is located in the switch block in the driver's door.
A slide switch is used to select the driver's side or passenger side.

It is only possible to adjust the mirror in either the horizontal or the vertical at any one time. No diagonal adjustment is possible.

Standard exterior mirrors
The mirror-adjustment switch directly actuates the drives.
When the exterior mirror reaches its end stop, the actuator drive will move onto a slip clutch. This slip clutch protects the exterior mirror components from mechanical damage.

The High variant switch block in the driver's door is connected to the footwell module (FRM) via the LIN bus. Every 20 milliseconds, the FRM checks the status of the switch block.
Signals from the mirror adjustment switch are converted into a message for the LIN bus in the switch block in the driver's door. The message is forwarded through the LIN bus to the electronic evaluation units in the right- and left-hand exterior mirrors. Messages to the right-hand exterior mirror are merely looped through the footwell module (FRM). That means: The FRM does not evaluate the message in any way.
The exterior mirror is moved as far as the mechanical stop while the mirror adjustment switch is pressed in a certain direction.
The adjustment time is limited to a maximum of 10 seconds to protect the motors and the mechanisms. Once the maximum adjusting time has been reached, the exterior mirrors will no longer be able to be actuated for 10 seconds.

Folding mirrors in (optional)
The fold-in function is controlled by the footwell module (FRM). When the fold-in switch is pressed, the High variant of the switch block in the driver's door evaluates the prompt and feeds it on to the footwell module. The footwell module receives the prompt via the LIN bus. Both exterior mirrors are folded in to the vehicle. This reduces the width of the vehicle.

To prevent thermal overload due to folding the mirrors in excessively frequently, the exterior mirrors have an anti-repeat circuit. When the anti-repeat circuit is activated, the motors cannot be actuated for 180 seconds.

The automatic parking function is activated under the following conditions:

Terminal 15 ON

If the slide switch for controlling the exterior mirrors is set to the "driver's side exterior mirror" position

Trailer coupling must not be active

Reversing light signal
-
via reversing light switch with manual transmission
-
via K-CAN with automatic transmission

The fold-in function is also possible with convenience closing. The exterior mirrors are actuated at the same time as the rear power windows. The Car Access System (CAS) provides the necessary signal.
Note: Fold-in function with convenience closing discontinued (except Japan version)
From 09/2006, the fold-in with convenience closing function is encoded as inactive in the footwell module on all vehicles.

Memory function (optional)
The exterior mirrors have a memory function stored in the footwell module (FRM). The positions stored are assigned to a remote control.
The High variant exterior mirrors are equipped with two potentiometers. The potentiometers draw their power supply (5 volts) from the electronic evaluation unit in the mirror. The values recorded by the potentiometers are stored for the memory function in the footwell module.

Mirror heating
Mirror heating is operational from terminal 15 ON.

Exterior mirrors (standard)
The mirror heating is actuated by the junction box electronics (JBE).

The mirror heating is controlled by the footwell module (FRM). The instrument cluster provides the outside temperature via the K-CAN.
The footwell module sends the corresponding message through the LIN bus to the electronic evaluation unit in the exterior mirrors.
The maximum electrical heat output available is 18 watts. The heat output is regulated using voltage and current measurements in the mirror.

Electrochromic exterior mirrors (optional)
Electrochromic door mirrors automatically dim the mirror glass if a source of light from the rear is detected.
The electrochromic rear-view mirror has 2 sensors that measure incident light from the front and the rear. A voltage signal is output (the strength of which depends on the difference in intensity between the light from the front and the rear) if the light from the rear is more intense. The greater the voltage signal, the more the mirror glass is dimmed.
Signals from the electrochromic interior mirror are picked up and evaluated by the roof control panel (FZD). The FZD sends the message on the K-CAN. The footwell module (FRM) receives the message. The footwell module (FRM) sends the message to the exterior mirrors via the LIN bus.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #29
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

I think this one of those great features of BMW's, does anyone know i other car makers offer this option. I hate parking snesors so anything that's stealth and a help while parking is welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #30
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBearing View Post
I think this one of those great features of BMW's, does anyone know i other car makers offer this option. I hate parking snesors so anything that's stealth and a help while parking is welcomed.

i know my mom's mercedes does it. not sure bout the rest of my family's cars though. i turned it off cause i don't like it, personally.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #31
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Many cars have this feature, for example Infiniti, Volvo, Audi. Mercedes withdrew the feature from last models due to complicated setup and many complaints.