BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

How to determine Valeo or Denso AC compressor?

I have a 2009 135i and the AC evaporator is leaking. This apparently is a known problem with 1 series.

There are 2 models of BMW evaporators produced by Denso and Valeo. The evaporator needs to match the compressor. The type of compressor cannot determined by your VIN number.

Anyone know how to confirm the compressor manufacturer just by looking?

There are Valeo and Denso evaporators available from ECS Tuning at 1/3 the cost of the BMW evaporators. I assume they are made by the same manufacturers, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Ordinarily I would buy the BMW part, but the labor involved in removing the dash to access the evaporator is substantial, so the $250 savings in parts would help. Anyone had experience using these "3rd party" evaporators?
      01-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
BratsForBilstein
Damped
United_States
Rep

The OEM evaporator is manufactured by Valeo. They have a high failure rate due to corrosion. Copper dust from the blower motor sticks to the evaporator creating galvanic corrosion. I also have a leaking evaporator.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratsForBilstein
The OEM evaporator is manufactured by Valeo. They have a high failure rate due to corrosion. Copper dust from the blower motor sticks to the evaporator creating galvanic corrosion. I also have a leaking evaporator.
I've seen a video on getting to the evaporator.... it is crazy complicated. I've seen 16hr labor estimates for it. I'm surprised it's not discussed more on the forums.

I wonder if there's a way to delay the corrosion with different blower motors.
      01-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratsForBilstein View Post
Actually in my year model 135 there are 2 OEM evaporators (Valeo and Denso) listed in the BMW parts list. I also confirmed this with dealer parts department also. So unless you know what type of compressor you have (must match) you don't know what to order until you access and remove evaporator from under the dash.

Do you have a link to this info regarding the blower motor? Given the extreme amount of labor involved, I am trying to determine if any other components of the AC system should be replaced as a preventive measure against a future failure. My blower motor does make chirping/whirring noises at times.
      01-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
BratsForBilstein
Damped
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
I've seen a video on getting to the evaporator.... it is crazy complicated. I've seen 16hr labor estimates for it. I'm surprised it's not discussed more on the forums.

I wonder if there's a way to delay the corrosion with different blower motors.
The newer evaporators likely have a higher zinc content to reduce this from occurring. As far as delaying this by switching motors, if there is an aftermarket product that uses a brush-less motor electric motor (like Daimler), this would help.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
BratsForBilstein
Damped
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post
Actually in my year model 135 there are 2 OEM evaporators (Valeo and Denso) listed in the BMW parts list. I also confirmed this with dealer parts department also. So unless you know what type of compressor you have (must match) you don't know what to order until you access and remove evaporator from under the dash.

Do you have a link to this info regarding the blower motor? Given the extreme amount of labor involved, I am trying to determine if any other components of the AC system should be replaced as a preventive measure against a future failure. My blower motor does make chirping/whirring noises at times.
If that is the case and you cant chase this down by VIN or mfg. location, you may be able to see the thermal expansion valve on poking out of your firewall, if it is a Valeo product, you might be able to see the label printed on the valve (they dont come off easily).

I dont really have a link for this, I only know this from my past years in automotive HVAC design while I was at Valeo. Brushless motors can help prevent this condition from occurring, the are heavily used by Daimler. Chirping blower motor typically indicates moisture has caused a bearing to sing. Might as well replace it if you updating your system.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #7
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

does anyone know of any brushless blower motor alternatives? looking to change mine as preventative maintenance
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
BratsForBilstein
Damped
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
does anyone know of any brushless blower motor alternatives? looking to change mine as preventative maintenance
Unfortunately, I would not expect to find a brushless alternative. Our blower motors are simple power/ground DC motors. Brushless will require a PWM to control them.
Appreciate 0