BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
john32443
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i

Xenon Troubles!

Guys, so one of my D1S headlight bulbs burnt out and I replaced it. In doing so, I didn't put on the back cover of my driver side headlight correctly and went into a carwash...we can all guess what happens. The xenon motor still works (I can see the shroud go up and down) and the angel eyes work, but the low beams don't. I swapped out the bulb and the ballast to no avail. The headlight was drenched in water. We got most of it out but we still can't get the low beams to work. Any ideas? I drive an e82 with xenons.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by john32443 View Post
Guys, so one of my D1S headlight bulbs burnt out and I replaced it. In doing so, I didn't put on the back cover of my driver side headlight correctly and went into a carwash...we can all guess what happens. The xenon motor still works (I can see the shroud go up and down) and the angel eyes work, but the low beams don't. I swapped out the bulb and the ballast to no avail. The headlight was drenched in water. We got most of it out but we still can't get the low beams to work. Any ideas? I drive an e82 with xenons.

That sucks - did you check the fuses? Make sure you really dry everything around there out including the connector if you do find a blown fuse and replace it. The connector may have corroded internally also which is preventing connections from working....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Assuming that all the water is out and that your ACL module is operational, you will likely need to reset the short circuit counter to get the headlight to work.
This is done using "Tool32" tool. Since we wouldn't want to link another forum here, do a google search for "The Official Guide To Resetting A Short Circuit Fault In A FRM Module".

I hope this helps!

Dre
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
john32443
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Assuming that all the water is out and that your ACL module is operational, you will likely need to reset the short circuit counter to get the headlight to work.
This is done using "Tool32" tool. Since we wouldn't want to link another forum here, do a google search for "The Official Guide To Resetting A Short Circuit Fault In A FRM Module".

I hope this helps!

Dre
Thank you so much! Would the FRM be damaged? ACL is the levelling motor, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Thank you so much! Would the FRM be damaged? ACL is the levelling motor, right?
I'm not an expert but I would assume that if one of your xenon lights work, the FRM is likely fine.

My understanding is that once the FRM detects a short circuit condition in one of the headlamps, it stops all current from flowing into the shorted light to prevent further damage. This condition is reset using the "Tool32" software mentioned in my previous response.
I believe ACL is just a control unit - basically a circuit board that controls the operation of your individual headlamps (there's one on each side of the car).

It worked for me but your experience may vary.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

The ballast might be dead. It's the metal casing under the headlight. Any amount of water always end up inside it.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj View Post
The ballast might be dead. It's the metal casing under the headlight. Any amount of water always end up inside it.
He mentioned above that he's replaced the ballast already. I would check the fuses first, I don't recall if the left / right headlamps are on their own circuits or a shared fuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
john32443
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey peeps, sorry for leaving you hanging, the car was actually totalled before I had a chance to diagnose the actual issue. I believe it was the FRM not sending current through due to it detecting a short circuit. All it needed was a simple reset I think. Anywho, I got a brand-new ballast for sale!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
tr5462e
Rep
Drives: Year One of the 1

Quote:
Hey peeps, sorry for leaving you hanging, the car was actually totalled before I had a chance to diagnose the actual issue. I believe it was the FRM not sending current through due to it detecting a short circuit. All it needed was a simple reset I think. Anywho, I got a brand-new ballast for sale!
pm me price for that ballast.
Appreciate 0