BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-02-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
cootha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy another n54

My has broken two jb4's?

I had my jb4 installed for several months and everything was sweet, my car has vtt stage 1's and the standard mods, dp's,cp,bov, intercooler, lpfp, catch can,intake and exhaust. So at around the 4 month mark my car starts going into limp mode randomly but its about once a week and would clear once restarted so it wasn't much of an issue. Then it stated to become more frequent and over the course of a week the car became undriveable with constant half engine light and cel. The car would start and die instantly and if it did keep running it would hunt from 500-1500 rpm. So at this point im about to buy a new set of injectors because my friend suggested that might be the issue so i take out the jb4. Suddenly the car runs fine with no issues at all, not even a cel from the catless downpipes and e25 in the tank. So I put in my spare jb4, both being the latest version, the car runs fine again no problems on e85 or on 98. A few months later the half engine light is back but even though it says reduced power/limp mode im still making full boost but when you let off the car shudders/decelerates hard and often i get a transmission error and the yellow gear symbol. It gets worse over a month until the car takes 4-8 attempts to start and wont drive. I take out the jb4 and everything is fine again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Ive taken the jb4 boards out of their encloses and everything looks fine, all components look normal, no signs of damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 135i, '13 M3

Any codes?
and are you auto?
any backend flash like mhd?
sounds like you are making somewhere around 470whp. vtt stage 1 shouldn't kill our tranny. how many miles on the car?

4-8 attempts to start and failing to start is usually classic symptoms of hpfp.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
cootha
Enlisted Member
Rep

Minimal codes, either the jb4 was deleting them or just not storing them. Id had the cel on and be in limp mode and the only code was for engine over speed.

Yeah im auto, no back end flash. 66k miles.

Yeah I thought it could be the hpfp but i dont have long cranks it starts up right away and i dont get the too lean afr hazard flash from the jb4 so i have no idea, I kinda hope it is the pump because that's relatively cheap. As of today ive removed my jb4 and im driving the car around for a week just on 98 no e85 to see how it reacts because it went from being undrivable with the jb4 installed to driving like a stock 135i when i removed it today. About a week ago my mechanic suggest I had the dealer update the dme and the tcu but the didn't fix the issue.

If the car drives fine this week im going to go down the mhd route and see if that'll be more reliable. I love jb4 i had one in my previous 135i (manual 2008 :'( RIP) and it was awesome I dont know why my new 135i (2010 n54 auto) is running into so many problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep

report back if you get any codes without jb4. hopefully? its just hpfp.

and also try xhp auto tranny flash. i recommend them strongly. Go with stage 2 for near-alpina like behavior.

you can also try carly for bmw app and scan all the modules for codes. it scans more than just the ecu.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
cootha
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah ill keep this thread updated, I hope it is
Yeah ive been meaning to get a tranny flash, is it difficult?
Sorry try what to scan for codes? Im buying an obd to usb cable after my exam today so i can connect my phone to teh car for mhd
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
omgshinoda
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootha
Yeah ill keep this thread updated, I hope it is
Yeah ive been meaning to get a tranny flash, is it difficult?
Sorry try what to scan for codes? Im buying an obd to usb cable after my exam today so i can connect my phone to teh car for mhd
there is an app called "carly for bmw" on android. this app has dealer level code scanning capabilities. jb4 and mhd will just scan your ecu for codes. carly will scan every computer module in the car. so you are able to see everything.

xhp tranny flash is very easy. just hookup your car to a battery tender and let it do its thing. the initial flash takes around 35mins or so. (also on android)

and make sure to select proper transmission option in mhd if you flash your tranny!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
cootha
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cool thanks for the info Ill have a look into it
Appreciate 0