BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #111
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Ya, I can agree I love to drive awesome cars.... But why cant someone make a car that just works.... Why make a new body style every 3 or 5 years and just perfect the style they have now...
You clearly have very limited knowledge regarding the car industry, and things in general (including grammar). If BMW decided to "perfect" their current line up and stop introducing updated models every 3 to 5 years, they're be run out of business. No one wants to by a car that looks the same as when it was introduced 8 years ago.

And another question, why exactly do you own a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #112
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
The statement that I am making is that BMW Reliability=

Instead of BMW making their cars faster they should fix the issues with them first...

The reason ur lost is because there is more to the story and its way to long to explain... But he had a 7 and in the first week, it had a electrical failure and nothing worked in it... in a 100k car... just thought if that was me I would be so upset...
BMW reliability is not as bad as you think of course all you hear is about the ones that do have problems. In my family we have had about 7 BMWs within the past 10 years. 3 E46s, 1 E36 M3, 1 E38 740iL and a E30 325is. All cars have been solid and reliable, yeah somethings do fail like window regulators and the batteries but they have never left their drivers stranded. Lexus cars DO have problems my dad had one and the transmission failed at 100k, Toyota quality is OVERRATED!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 11-17-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #113
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Toyota quality is OVERRATED!!
there's a reason for this, Toyota is very sneeky... they don't tell the people they are doing the recalls and such, they just do it before anyone notices.

I've seen some of the service bulletins issued on toyotas and they definitely don't have a clean bill of health.

I will never own a toyota, not because they are boring cars, but because i don't trust the company.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #114
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
The statement that I am making is that BMW Reliability=

I call bs on this... 2002 330i 120K miles. regular maintenance and 1 window regulator since day 1. How is that bad?
2000 BMW Z3... all original service records given to me at purchase w/ 65,000 miles. Nothing major done, just brake pads, oil service and a rear brake light bulb. currently at 89,000 miles and runs great as well.

I don't think these cars are any more prone to problems then any other make out there. Japanese included. My brother in law has a well-maintained 2001 Toyota Camry LE with 140,000 miles that is surprisingly on its last legs. His wife had a 2000 Honda Civic with 90K miles and the -get this- distributer on it failed.... not to mention the rusting off exhaust system and overly worn seating surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #115
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Why not more popular? Perceived impracticality by North American car buyers due to it's size-to-cost ratio would be my guess. Not that I understand...takes you from point A to B just like any other car so seems practical enough to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #116
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
HAHA.. Im sorry guys but they issues with BMW are outrageous... My service department cant even give me a loaner because every single one is loaned out to someone... I have never NEVER seen a car magazine say BUY a BMW reliability...

BMW... JOY my ass... 8 month in and my car squeaks like hell... GREAT Quality..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #117
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post
You clearly have very limited knowledge regarding the car industry, and things in general (including grammar). If BMW decided to "perfect" their current line up and stop introducing updated models every 3 to 5 years, they're be run out of business. No one wants to by a car that looks the same as when it was introduced 8 years ago.

And another question, why exactly do you own a BMW?
Not even going to go here... Haha...

PS- Im on a MAC... I have spell check throughout the whole computer...??

AGAIN, who cares its a forum.... Not a paper to my Professor... Haha...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #118
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
HAHA.. Im sorry guys but they issues with BMW are outrageous... My service department cant even give me a loaner because every single one is loaned out to someone... I have never NEVER seen a car magazine say BUY a BMW reliability...

BMW... JOY my ass... 8 month in and my car squeaks like hell... GREAT Quality..
So, sell it and buy a Toyota if it's giving you that much grief.

And yes, JOY, pure and unadulterated. Could care less about the minor issues I've had.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #119
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
So, sell it and buy a Toyota if it's giving you that much grief.

And yes, JOY, pure and unadulterated. Could care less about the minor issues I've had.
actually it's quite amazing how long he's been complaining about his car, and yet done nothing about it.

I think he secretly loves the car, but is too manly to admit he's in love....

so he just like to stir the pot around here to feel special.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #120
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Even though I want this car to succeed and grow in the eyes of the auto world I do like that its not a common car on the road. This is my 4th BMW and my other 3 were ALL 3-series. I was so sick of seeing everyone who has a BMW have a 3-series! So Sick I left BMW and bought a Audi S4 because I loved the power and there were not many S4's on the road. So when the 1 series came and I drove it to see how fast it was (faster than my S4) I was sold. I found a way to come back to BMW without having a me too car! So i am back with BMW and loving my new ride!
      11-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #121
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
I call bs on this...

You can call BS all you want, but the rankings don't support your claims.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Brand-...-10&id=5289447

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ing_N.htm#Best

"BMW also showed better reliability." And that garnered them a 20th place finish! Now, with less suck!

http://mmc-news.com/2010/10/30/ratin...ut-asia-rules/
"BMW, ranked 23 out of 27"

BMW may be many things, but reliability seems elusive. I don't know that I would let these articles and rankings scare me from the brand, but the historical data shows them mid-pack or below for this metric.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #122
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Interesting..I've owned BMW's since 1972. Have yet to have any real issues with reliability, other than normal wear and tear.

I usually drive these to about 200k miles. And in some cases they are still in the family.

As far as my 135 I wish they were even less than what I have seen...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #123
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

If reliability was your main concern then you made an uninformed decision when you picked the 1er. Today I'm driving a nice little 328i loaner just to prove this point (tail light replace).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #124
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
You can call BS all you want, but the rankings don't support your claims.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Brand-...-10&id=5289447

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ing_N.htm#Best

"BMW also showed better reliability." And that garnered them a 20th place finish! Now, with less suck!

http://mmc-news.com/2010/10/30/ratin...ut-asia-rules/
"BMW, ranked 23 out of 27"

BMW may be many things, but reliability seems elusive. I don't know that I would let these articles and rankings scare me from the brand, but the historical data shows them mid-pack or below for this metric.
It's true, BMW's don't rank as high as some other brands in terms of less problems on the average.
But, many of those other brands don't rank as high in driving performance.
So we take the good with the bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #125
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't think reliability is the be-all end-all in what determines and brand or model's success or failure. Case in point, the Range Rover. Always ranks by far the lowest, yet it's the SUV almost everybody would have in the garage if money were no object. Same with Audi/VW...always at the bottom of the German pile yet they're wildly successful mainstream brands because they're ratings are (subjectively) high on style and design. BMW's main draw is driving dynamics and free maintenance. You'll never hear them shouting from the rooftops how reliable their cars are because they're never better than mid-pack in that category.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #126
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's true, BMW's don't rank as high as some other brands in terms of less problems on the average.
But, many of those other brands don't rank as high in driving performance.
So we take the good with the bad.
That is the exact mentality I was hoping to hear as a response instead of the kool-aid drinking "my car is perfect therefore the data is wrong" too many fanboi sites parrot.

All cars have trade-offs, though it doesn't make sense to me why driving performance is mutually exclusive from reliability, in the mainstream German cars it seems to be the case.

BMW makes great cars, and knowing what you are getting into is important. Just like setting customer expectations in the business world, a buyer needs to know what to expect from their car.

The rankings would not dissuade me from another BMW but might impact what I spend as I know I will need to bank on some money for repairs if I am outside of the warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I don't think reliability is the be-all end-all in what determines and brand or model's success or failure. Case in point, the Range Rover. Always ranks by far the lowest, yet it's the SUV almost everybody would have in the garage if money were no object. Same with Audi/VW...always at the bottom of the German pile yet they're wildly successful mainstream brands because they're ratings are (subjectively) high on style and design. BMW's main draw is driving dynamics and free maintenance. You'll never hear them shouting from the rooftops how reliable their cars are because they're never better than mid-pack in that category.
I think the RR success is more a function of brand snobbery than anything else. Though BMW/Audi have their share of it too...
Appreciate 0