BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Fluid Changes Before or After a Track Day?

I'm going to have my 1M on track for the first time. The format is a Wide Open Wednesday at Utah Motorsports Campus (formerly Miller Motorsports Park). Basically, they let cars on the track one at a time for a single lap at a time. I won't be pushing too hard because I have limited track experience. In all, I expect to maybe get in 8-10 laps, done one at a time with a few minutes in between each lap. The temperature will be cool - around 63 F / 17 C.

Before the end of October, I was planning on doing the following fluid changes: engine oil, MTF, rear differential fluid, brake fluid and possibly coolant. Brake pads and tires are fine, the car is 100% stock and all maintenance is up to date.

Question: Which of these fluid changes, if any, should I do before I hit the track? Which would be better to do after the event? And are there any I need to do before AND after?

This is going to be closer to a 'sprited drive' than a 'track day' given the format of the event and the fact that I'm not planning to push that hard.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF your going to the track always change & flush your brake fluid. I would also change your engine oil too. Both before AND after your track event.

Depending on how old your "other" fluids are... you could do those "after". But as far as I am concerned... the best oil(fluids) are new/fresh oil!
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Check your insurance policy for coverage or buy track insurance....

Don't wait until after you wadded it up to check on this.

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10538.50
///BYU268.50
      09-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Check your insurance policy for coverage or buy track insurance....

Don't wait until after you wadded it up to check on this.

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Nearly $350 for a couple of hours and I'm still on the hook for the first $5,000 of damage. For other HPDE formats, maybe, but that seems really high for an event like this.

I had a really interesting conversation with my insurance company about coverage for an event like this. If I have time, I'll post about it in a separate thread, so as not to distract from the topic of this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I am not sure I would consider this a track day if it is really 1 lap at a time. That is more similar to a day of autocross, albeit higher speeds. If all of your service is up to date, and you are using the BMW recommended fluids, I would only verify that the brake fluid is less than a year old (BMW changes every other year, too long for track) and flush in new fluid if it has been more than a year. If your dealer properly reset the service reminders, you can go to the "Service Due" section of iDrive vehicle info and it will give you a date that your brake fluid needs to be changed. That date will be 2 years after your fluid was changed.

EDIT: Also, inspect every brake pad yourself and make sure there is at least 5-6 mm of pad material on each one. The mileage remaining in the Service Due screen assumes that the most recent rate of wear will continue. Don't be surprised if you see those numbers plummet during the day. If you remember which pad has the least material at each end of the car, it is quick and easy to pull off that wheel andreinspect between runs if you get a break wear indicator warning.

Last edited by CarJunkie; 09-13-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I agree with CarJunkie in that this is not a typical trackday where one has to worry about overheating brakes. Make sure the brake fluid is topped off and you have plenty of pad material.

Given the one lap nature of the event I'd be careful of cold tires. They can catch you out, some tires worse than others. If you can get back in line quick enough to start build some tire temps you'll start increasing grip.
      09-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Stoney80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Regarding insurance, leave your traction control on and you won't have to worry about going off track unless you make a REALLY big mistake. I had my 1M on track last month (Sonoma Raceway) for the first time and was saved many times exiting off camber corners where I was too quick on the throttle.

Also, remember not to set your parking brake when you come in off a hot lap.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50