BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Another on 205-50-R17 studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5's...second winter now.

As to winter tires, the Finns (Nokian) & Swedes (Gislaved) do know their stuff...even if Gislaved is now owed by ze Germans (Continental). Outside of ON and QC (don't know about the Maritime provinces), Nokians are only available from Kal Tire.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
Beemerman91
Private
Rep
Drives:

Currently I have General Altimax Arctic 205/50/17 on my 135i and they work like a beauty in the snow!
My buddy has Nankang's on his 128i and they are great tires too for the price you pay!

Le Mans Blue
M-Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound
Navi-Package
Carbon Graphite Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #25
Trowa
Jack Bauer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive, 2016 S1000RR

Michelin X-Ice 2
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Beemerman91
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have 1 series and 3 Series winter tires for Sale if anyone needs some tires PM or email me at ryanjw99@gmail.com

Le Mans Blue
M-Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound
Navi-Package
Carbon Graphite Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

This might be a bit late to help, but I run the nordfrost 5 on my 135i (Mpkg). I ran them last yr and my only other experience with winter tires is with Toyo Garret HT's on my STi.

The Nordfrost are definitely not performance winters. I actually just put them on last night and forgot how "squirmy" they are at higher speeds - feels like I'm floating. Also, on hard excels you'll find that the traction light comes on.

The Toyos I ran were considered performance winters and I can definitely tell you that they were list "floaty" and "squirmy". But not as stable as summers - obviously

In terms of comparing the snow traction of both, I'd have to say they're very close, hard to tell a huge difference. If I was forced to say which one worked better in the thick snow, I'd give it to the NordFrost5 (this is from driving in a winter storm in Montreal and numbers parking lot "drift" sessions) on the highway a performance snow is definitely going to give you more stability. At city street and moderate speeds I think it's a bit of a toss up

Ultimately what's going to help you make your finial decision is what type of conditions you drive more.

For me, I like the idea of knowing my winter tires will help me in "extreme"/harsher condition, so I'm willing to give up some of the highspeed performance.

BTW I'm running 205-50-17 @ 34PSI

Hope this helps a bit
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

I currently run Nexen Eurowin Winter Tires that I got for really cheap on my 128i. And I must say I was very impressed with the winter performance. Dry pavement performance is ok but the snow handling was excellent. I never got stuck in any depth of snow (only one season mind you) but I did most of my driving in the collingwood area and then mostly in the hills around blue mountain. I ran Blizzaks on my lexus IS 300 for three year before that and they didn't give the snow performance that these tires do. For example the hill on Highway 10 leading into Orangeville as you head north from Brampton, which isn't a very steep grade the lexus had trouble maintaining speed and I was hitting the traction control constantly by the time I reached the top I was only doing 50 km/h. With the Eurowins on the BMW I took that same hill numerous times last winter and never hit the traction contol once. Even on nights with more snow then on the same nights with the Lexus. I know not apples to apples comparison. Anyway when I went to put the snow tires back on this year they looked brand new hardly any wear.
Appreciate 0