BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
JB4 VS JB4 w/MHD BEF

I searched for days trying to find the answer to this question. I currently have JB4 and I'm considering adding the MHD Backend Flash. I want to know if it's worth it if I'm just running 93 octane. My mods are DCI, AR Catted Downpipes, ER Chargepipe with HKS BOV. I will in the future be adding FMIC and/or meth kit. But for my current set up, will adding the flash do anything? From my research it seems that he JB4 helps the MHD, not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT0307 View Post
I searched for days trying to find the answer to this question. I currently have JB4 and I'm considering adding the MHD Backend Flash. I want to know if it's worth it if I'm just running 93 octane. My mods are DCI, AR Catted Downpipes, ER Chargepipe with HKS BOV. I will in the future be adding FMIC and/or meth kit. But for my current set up, will adding the flash do anything? From my research it seems that he JB4 helps the MHD, not the other way around.
You may want to double check your research. The flash tune helps the jb4, not the other way around. With an MHD backend you'll most likely notice a smoother and more consistent power delivery and maybe even a bit more power. Plus it's like 80 bucks for the BEF so might as well try it out
Appreciate 1
HT030725.00
      02-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Quote:
You may want to double check your research. The flash tune helps the jb4, not the other way around. With an MHD backend you'll most likely notice a smoother and more consistent power delivery and maybe even a bit more power. Plus it's like 80 bucks for the BEF so might as well try it out
Thank you, I appreciate the response. I was under the impression that the JB4 and MHD were almost the same but JB4 had more safety measures in place where the MHD would let you destroy your car if allowed so the JB4 sort of limited and helped keep you in a "safe zone" or limp mode if things got outside of where they should be. I'm probably going to do the BEF today, just needed clarification before I spent the $80.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'm really hoping for more low end power, I feel the JB4 only really helps past 4K.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the response. I was under the impression that the JB4 and MHD were almost the same but JB4 had more safety measures in place where the MHD would let you destroy your car if allowed so the JB4 sort of limited and helped keep you in a "safe zone" or limp mode if things got outside of where they should be. I'm probably going to do the BEF today, just needed clarification before I spent the $80.
JB4 does have more fail safes but MHD won't let you destroy your engine either. Our cars are smart and it's really hard to destroy them unless you're really trying to. In all honesty the only benefit to a JB4 at this point is for meth and arguably E85.
Appreciate 1
HT030725.00
      02-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
JB4 does have more fail safes but MHD won't let you destroy your engine either. Our cars are smart and it's really hard to destroy them unless you're really trying to. In all honesty the only benefit to a JB4 at this point is for meth and arguably E85.
Then I'm definitely going to flash today once I get a battery pack. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have always ran JB4 + flash tune on my N54 ... It makes a big difference

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      02-23-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I have always ran JB4 + flash tune on my N54 ... It makes a big difference
I made the change the other day and love it. I feel way more power in lower RPM's and I get what people say about it being smoother. I also am a huge fan of the exhaust burble option but I have to turn mine down some. I started with the stock and it was OK, went to medium, more fun. Now I'm on aggressive and it's retarded but I'm worried about O2 sensors so I'm going to cut it back after a couple of days. But I definitely recommend it to anyone considering it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I made the change the other day and love it. I feel way more power in lower RPM's and I get what people say about it being smoother. I also am a huge fan of the exhaust burble option but I have to turn mine down some. I started with the stock and it was OK, went to medium, more fun. Now I'm on aggressive and it's retarded but I'm worried about O2 sensors so I'm going to cut it back after a couple of days. But I definitely recommend it to anyone considering it.
O2's are likely not a concern. They see fuel and heat anytime you drive the car.

However, I don't recommend anything over 1 sec burble on aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
O2's are likely not a concern. They see fuel and heat anytime you drive the car.

However, I don't recommend anything over 1 sec burble on aggressive.
I put it down to about 1.5 on medium or soft, I can't remember, but it's perfect now. Not too obnoxious but noticeable enough that it makes me happy.lol Next is to find either a FMIC or Meth Kit. I'm trying to hurt feelings.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #11
kinanalk
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Well let me clarify some points, the jb4 is cool but the question here, are you looking for a high horsepower numbers ? then definitely jb4 is not an option as the jb4 sends fake numbers in regards to the boost to the ECU(That's why your car sometimes does not response with the jb4), don't forget that by sending these signals the timing, fueling is still as default from the manufacture , the backend flash will help you get into changing the timing, fueling, vanos etc. But still the boost is sometimes there and sometimes not.

From my own experience i own an n55 135i, full bolts on and a jb4 will remove it now and get MHD with a custom tune, i was promised to the be fastest stage 2 here + guaranteed 100%.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinanalk View Post
From my own experience i own an n55 135i, full bolts on and a jb4 will remove it now and get MHD with a custom tune, i was promised to the be fastest stage 2 here + guaranteed 100%.

Good luck!

Guaranteed 100% fastest Stage 2+. Let us know how that goes and when things start breaking. Speed comes at a price.

Good luck!
JPuehl101.00
      03-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #13
kinanalk
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
Quote:

Good luck!

Guaranteed 100% fastest Stage 2+. Let us know how that goes and when things start breaking.

Good luck!
Well i really care about my car more than you can even imagine, the reason why i believe this tuner is good, is that i had a race with a friend who own golf gti custom tune and a downpipe only, my car had jb4 and full bolts on, his car is daily use!
And he won the race by one car approx.

And btw i meant stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well i really care about my car more than you can even imagine, the reason why i believe this tuner is good, is that i had a race with a friend who own golf gti custom tune and a downpipe only, my car had jb4 and full bolts on, his car is daily use!

And btw i meant stage 2
Kinanalk, I've been running JB4 for 4 years and pretty much hated every day of it until the MHD OBD unlock became available last November. Adding the BEF made a huge difference in driveability and smoothness of power delivery. I've also gotten a BEF with adjustable spool up since overboost always seemed to be a problem on my car.

I suggest you get the MHD flasher and then load the BMS BEF and see how that goes. I was ready to do the OTS tunes but they've turned out to be problematic for my cars like mine. I was then considering a custom tune but I'm now quite happy with the JB4/BEF.
JPuehl101.00
      04-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #15
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

And btw i meant stage 2
Kinanalk, I've been running JB4 for 4 years and pretty much hated every day of it until the MHD OBD unlock became available last November. Adding the BEF made a huge difference in driveability and smoothness of power delivery. I've also gotten a BEF with adjustable spool up since overboost always seemed to be a problem on my car.

I suggest you get the MHD flasher and then load the BMS BEF and see how that goes. I was ready to do the OTS tunes but they've turned out to be problematic for my cars like mine. I was then considering a custom tune but I'm now quite happy with the JB4/BEF.
I've been using JB4 with the BEF for quite some time now and love it. JB4 alone just feels like it's lacking something. The MHD BEF was definitely a good move. If I ever change anything it would be to go to MHD Stage 2. I don't plan on going single turbo or anything crazy. I enjoy the quick daily that is semi reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #16
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

My car came with a JB4, I added the MHD BEF last summer. Once I do more maintenance and get a better set of rubber, I'm removing and selling the JB4 and going with a tune Wedge. Sure the combo works well, but I'm not going to ever run PI or Meth, so a custom flash tune will be the better option for performance hands down. If I ever upgrade my hpfp, I'll be going with the Spool option, and big turbo, if ever, will probably be PS2 or Speedtech.
      04-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:

What are your menu 10, 11, 12 settings? I've tried tweaking mine all over the place and cant get rid of a part throttle oscillation issue. Otherwise my JB4/BEF is great.
      04-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
what are your menu 10, 11, 12 settings? I've tried tweaking mine all over the place and cant get rid of a part throttle oscillation issue. Otherwise my jb4/bef is great.
10=30
11=25
12=25
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #19
e90LA15
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Hey guys, sorry to bother you.

I have an N55 M235i with JB4 installed, but i run the MHD OTS (stage 2+).

I didn't know that you can run an BEF through MHD to get the benefit of JB4 too, and as I have read online, people are saying the BEF is more reliable and smother than going with MHD OTS only.

Would you advise me to run the MHD BEF? and what will be the required steps to do so? since I already have the MHD OTS S2+ running currently.

Thanks

Car Setup:
-JB4 w/Bluetooth
-MHD OTS Stage 2+
-Custom DP
-VRSF Intercooler
-Arma Air intake
-M Performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:30 AM   #20
HT0307
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90LA15 View Post
Hey guys, sorry to bother you.

I have an N55 M235i with JB4 installed, but i run the MHD OTS (stage 2+).

I didn't know that you can run an BEF through MHD to get the benefit of JB4 too, and as I have read online, people are saying the BEF is more reliable and smother than going with MHD OTS only.

Would you advise me to run the MHD BEF? and what will be the required steps to do so? since I already have the MHD OTS S2+ running currently.

Thanks

Car Setup:
-JB4 w/Bluetooth
-MHD OTS Stage 2+
-Custom DP
-VRSF Intercooler
-Arma Air intake
-M Performance exhaust
I'm not well versed on N55 so I can't say but there's definitely something out there somewhere comparing the two. On my N54, I love the JB4+BEF.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #21
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

BEF is free from the Burger site but you need MHD flasher to install it. Lots of info there but unfortunately there’s no”manual” to really get things dialed in.

I’m running the latest JB4 firmware and BEF and it is fantastic.......most of the time. I still have a love-hate relationship because of the sometimes inexplicable behavior......but I’ll take it. I’ve been tweaking this thing for the last three years and I’m constantly learning something new.

The latest firmware allows for altering spool. Great stuff.
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      06-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
e90LA15
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thanks guys, but I have decided to go with MHD Stage 2+, felt much smoother power delivery and less jerkiness to me then the BEF.