BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #45
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Just call up BMW Stockholm and I am sure they'd be happy to sell them too you, if you can figure out how to dial out internationally and the time difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #46
nakata24
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw E81

Nice post, ive searching so long for bmw forums and finally found this. Awesome. I also bought the xenon headlights but i have problems with the installing. When i plug the power cable in the xenon headlights, they dont
wanna light up, only the angel eyes are burning. Im 100% sure the bulbs are
ok. Did u use another cable on your headlights or just the standard power cable from the car?

Thnx
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #47
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I have a feeling this is going to be difficult for you. This DIY was not meant for halogens to Xenon swaps. For this you'll need extra parts which I am not too familiar with.

Off the top of my head, you'll need to purchase ballasts (which plug into the bottom of the xenon headlights) and bulbs. I'm unsure of weather you'll need additional ECU software to control the adaptive headlight movements, as the headlight will shift based on steering wheel input. Finally, I'm not sure if existing wiring is suited to provide the power necessary to light up the ballasts. Not to mention, all of these parts are going to crazy expensive purchased from BMW, much more than it would have cost to upgrade to Xenons from the factory.

That said, for all other readers, if you aren't sure whether you should get Xenons, do it! Because upgrading after the fact is not a good option.

I would think that a better solution would be to purchase and aftermarket xenon kit, and use the xenon headlights as housing for the aftermarket bulbs and ballasts. This should work. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #48
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
did you have any problems with adaptive headlights not working warning or know how to get around
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

I like it

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #50
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Nope, the adaptive headlights worked perfectly right out of the gate with no issues during "auto-level".

Thanks for the props. I enjoy the look of the headlights everyday I get into my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #51
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Yup, they work. just take out your old ballasts and put them on the new headlights... they are both made by Velo and should work.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #52
Louis75th
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 130i 2008 135i

How about 2012 135i headlight? Do you think it is pug& play too?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #53
razputin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 118D M Sport

I've had to replace one of my bi-xenon headlights and ended up getting one from Germany which is obviously set up for driving on the right. Can this be adjusted/set for driving on the left?

Last edited by razputin; 02-25-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #54
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Conversion

Thank you for this DIY

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #55
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

I'm having trouble getting the headlight physically out of the car. I believe all the bolts on the headlight were broken, so it's just that bracket that's blocking them from coming out. The bracket has the 2 torx in the front, but I don't understand how to get to the rear bolt for it? I don't see anything obvious under the wheel well cover. The car is on ramps and not jacked up, so I wonder if that's the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #56
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by awns729 View Post
I'm having trouble getting the headlight physically out of the car. I believe all the bolts on the headlight were broken, so it's just that bracket that's blocking them from coming out. The bracket has the 2 torx in the front, but I don't understand how to get to the rear bolt for it? I don't see anything obvious under the wheel well cover. The car is on ramps and not jacked up, so I wonder if that's the issue?

You might want to pull the front bumper cover off. I know it is not necessary, but it would make it easier to see what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #57
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You might want to pull the front bumper cover off. I know it is not necessary, but it would make it easier to see what's going on.
I actually had it off. Not sure how it could be done without pulling it off

Figured it out. Was a little hidden bastard bolt in the upper corner holding a bracket on that needs to be moved out of the way to get the light out. Will post pica for the next guy when I'm done. Thanks for your response dack, always helping!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #58
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Kudoos to OP for a very clear DIY contribution. As your last post was in '12, I hope you are still an addict ... and able to answer the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
5. Xenon Bulb/Ballast Installation - Most headlights do not come with either ballasts or Xenon bulbs as these are expensive and are usually purchased separately. Before installing your new headlights you'll need to install bulbs and ballasts this can be accomplished easily when the headlight is out of the car. It is possible to install the bulbs while the headlight is in the car but not the ballast. So do yourself a big favour (yes, again with the correct spelling) and install them with the headlight out of the car.

a. Remove the rear headlight cover (the piece with the two metal clips), un-clip the two metal clips hold the cover in place. Insert the bulb into the headlight, press the bulb in place being careful not to bend any of the metal prongs inward and rotate the black locking mechanism to secure the bulb in place. Connect the ballast connector to bulb (this will install in part b.)
Just so i'm clear: your US and the new ECE bi-Xenon headlight housings were mechanically plug&play exchangeable, and you re-used your US electronics, connectors, ballast and bulbs to connect to the new ECE housing?

Do you have more pictures of the connection points between the new ECE housing and the US electronics/driver modules?

Can anyone comment if the LCI version of this DIY would be pretty much equal or ...

Last edited by eeghie; 08-28-2014 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #59
Pieroalon77
Rep
Drives: WHiTE128i

please help!!!

Does anybody know if you must have the headlights in place in order for the light to come on?
I recently got two new xenon headlights to replace the halogen that came on my 2008 128i.
Before installing the headlights i wanted to make sure they work so i plugged them in. both halo lights come on but the low and high beam will not.

Do the headlights need to be grounded?
Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #60
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieroalon77
Does anybody know if you must have the headlights in place in order for the light to come on?
I recently got two new xenon headlights to replace the halogen that came on my 2008 128i.
Before installing the headlights i wanted to make sure they work so i plugged them in. both halo lights come on but the low and high beam will not.

Do the headlights need to be grounded?
Please help
Did you install ballasts for the adaptive headlights and xenons? If not you need to remove the old headlights to swap the ballasts over.

Edit: at second glance I see you are replacing halogen headlights with xenon. You need to do some coding and wiring modifications for adaptive xenons to work on a car originally fitted with halogens. They are not plug and play. You also will need to make sure you have both the ballasts and control modules for the new headlights.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #61
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
They (Xenon vs. Halogen assemblies) are not plug and play.
Correct.
Along with the rest of the post.

It does not matter whether or not the lights are physically installed. They will function the same way in either position. Here they will function incorrectly until the coding, etc. is completed properly.

FWIW: the wiring harness provides the "ground" return path. The assembly - including the mounting points - is plastic and electrically non-conductive.

P.S. After full installation is completed and proper operation, you will need to check and possibly set the headlights' aim. This is easy and straightforward. See thread and forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #62
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
They (Xenon vs. Halogen assemblies) are not plug and play.
Correct.
Along with the rest of the post.

It does not matter whether or not the lights are physically installed. They will function the same way in either position. Here they will function incorrectly until the coding, etc. is completed properly.

FWIW: the wiring harness provides the "ground" return path. The assembly - including the mounting points - is plastic and electrically non-conductive.

P.S. After full installation is completed and proper operation, you will need to check and possibly set the headlights' aim. This is easy and straightforward. See thread and forum.
+1, well written and informative post!

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #63
interruptguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Hi Purgatory,
Is there a change that the pictures are still available?
Appreciate 0