BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

State Inspection Service

My State Inspection Service interval reminder is overdue. I had my shop reset the light when I had my SSK last month. My question is what exactly this service entails, and am I doing any harm by putting it off? BTW, I'm at 54k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

its just a reminder for when your state inspection is. I usually get it done somewhere like the gas station where its super cheap compared to the BMW dealership that charges me like double.
      12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
My State Inspection Service interval reminder is overdue. I had my shop reset the light when I had my SSK last month. My question is what exactly this service entails, and am I doing any harm by putting it off? BTW, I'm at 54k miles.
This is not a BMW service, it is for a periodic state or local inspection. If you haven't been contacted by your department of motor vehicles, then perhaps it's not a requirement where you live.

If your state doesn't require the inspection, simply set the date far into the future - your manual will tell you how under "Service Requirements".

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
This is not a BMW service, it is for a periodic state or local inspection. If you haven't been contacted by your department of motor vehicles, then perhaps it's not a requirement where you live.

If your state doesn't require the inspection, simply set the date far into the future - your manual will tell you how under "Service Requirements".

Tom
Ah, yes. Makes sense. I remember seeing the option to set the date for another time in the iDrive. I don't think I'm due till next year. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
eviled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

WARNING!!!

I just had my yearly inspection done. With newer cars, the emissions is checked through the OBD2 port and not via the tail pipe/dyno like they use to do. I have a COBB tune and I had just reset it for a different grade of fuel. When ever you reflash/ disconnect the battery it clears some codes in the ecu and apparently the ecu is "not ready" for an emissions test so mine failed. The guy said that they needed to drive the car for a while to get the ecu ready. ( I think this is actually true) So 66 miles later after the kid beat the balls of my car, got some tacos, picked up his girffriend, did some burnouts, and baked the oil to my turbos, they were able to get it to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I usually get it done somewhere like the gas station where its super cheap compared to the BMW dealership that charges me like double.
Are they allowed to do that in your state? My dealership charges the same standard cost as the gas station down the road. I didn't think the cost of state inspections could vary, but perhaps that is state dependent. I'm in MA.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Are they allowed to do that in your state? My dealership charges the same standard cost as the gas station down the road. I didn't think the cost of state inspections could vary, but perhaps that is state dependent. I'm in MA.
In Texas I paid about 15 dollars at car spa, and they washed my car for free too. I did it the next year at dealership because my car was in for service and I said why not, and it was like 33.