BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Getting Tired of the WaWaWa

It is very interesting listening to some of the threads. "My car is better than your car...wa..wa...wa". Probably being one of the elders here (I am almost 56), I purchased the 1M because it is what I want to drive. I've been in BMW CCA over 20 years, been a safety driving instructor for almost 10, am presently on one of the International BMW group board of directors, and love driving BMWs. Having owned almost 20 BMW's beginning with my first 2002tii in the early 1980's, I have enjoyed them ALL. Each one is different - yes - but each one has been unique, fun to drive, and been more than great transportation. I have owned 2002s, 3's, 5's, 8's, M3s, and some even more rare examples, like my present Alpina (not a B7). Yes - the 1M is getting a lot of press, deservedly so. But - so do many other BMWs at introduction.

So...when some other BMW person (M3, M5, etc) comes on whining saying this or that...it reminds me of the old song in the commercial... "My dog's better than your dog". But, when someone feels that they have to be insecure enough about their car to put down others, then I guess it does not go too far with me. I wonder about their true passion - maybe its there, or maybe its just the other P word they want...perception.

So...until someone else pays me for my car...don't put it down just to make yourself feel better!

There...enough said.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
+1
      06-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
watsons
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Boxster

Well said~
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

@rogbmw: I agree with you, these bs threads get really boring. But honestly, just don't follow them any more and if nobody answers, then these childish games will stop. Sooner or later. I had hoped, that they would go and troll about the M5 now that more infos are coming and leave the 1M alone, but unfortunately not yet it seems.

When the M346 came out, there was the "the old one is better". When the M392 came out, it was the M346 that "would have beaten it if" and if the M346 wasn't fast enough, they pulled the CSL out of the hat. And now some people seem to feel threatened by the 1M. The really funny thing is: people that probably couldn't reverse park a car straight, start comparing laptimes and go into theoretical discussions what car X could have done on track Y (that they have never even seen, nonetheless driven) "if". Sounds to me like blind folks discussing the color blue.

I've written it before: I buy a car for myself. Some of those that I have owned I didn't miss, when they went. Some of those (i.e. my first ever Alfa 75) I'll never forget. Chances are, that the 1M will belong to the second category. I'm very impressed by what the little beast can do and neither journalists nor forum trolls will be able to change that.

Maybe the mods could set up a sandbox for these kids to play in. Then they can go and compare their little shovels and sand molds there and not get on other peoples nerves?
      06-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Thank you. It is refreshing to see a mature and balanced post on these forums.

As you can tell from my post count, I'm very new here and while I'm not quite at your level of maturity and experience (), I definitely passed my internet pissing match phase in my early twenties and have been avoiding this type of spurious and pointless arguing for the past 10 years or so (Not always successfully, but I try).

Reading some of the flame-war threads that seem to pop-up every day here, I am actually astounded that people who can afford $60k cars can be so juvenile and immature. I did not grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth and worked very hard my 30+ years to be where I am today. I have learned to be respectful to others and present my facts calmly and rationally and keep emotions to myself when interacting with people who are not immediate family or friends.

I can only assume that the 'children' who spend most of their time on these forums whinging and throwing poo at each other are rich, spoiled brats who never learned to play nice with anyone else in the sandbox.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
+2
Was refreshing to go to a track day last week and not one person there was going on about "my car this and my car that...".
+3
That typically never happens when people are face to face. It's amazing how many people are Conan the Barbarian behind the keyboard but in person, they won't say jack sh**....

The 1M has kicked off a whole new level of excitement for all ages
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Very well said. Buy the car you like the most and enjoy it to the fullest. Why would someone come around telling people that their car is inferior to theirs (even if it's not true)? That's just mean and it wastes everyone's time. Some people just need to grow up.
      06-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

I can only assume that the 'children' who spend most of their time on these forums whinging and throwing poo at each other are rich, spoiled brats who never learned to play nice with anyone else in the sandbox.
+1
      06-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Thank you. It is refreshing to see a mature and balanced post on these forums.

As you can tell from my post count, I'm very new here and while I'm not quite at your level of maturity and experience (), I definitely passed my internet pissing match phase in my early twenties and have been avoiding this type of spurious and pointless arguing for the past 10 years or so (Not always successfully, but I try).

Reading some of the flame-war threads that seem to pop-up every day here, I am actually astounded that people who can afford $60k cars can be so juvenile and immature. I did not grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth and worked very hard my 30+ years to be where I am today. I have learned to be respectful to others and present my facts calmly and rationally and keep emotions to myself when interacting with people who are not immediate family or friends.

Hello there..Not jumping on the bandwagon,just wanted to say that you echo my thoughts perfectly.thank you for being able to word it lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Well said. We need to all ignore these silly threads that are obviously created to start a war. This pic comes to mind.....
Attached Images

06-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

+1 Well said
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Well said. We need to all ignore these silly threads that are obviously created to start a war. This pic comes to mind.....
E-thug, love that!
      06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Thank you for that...

Long-time lurker...decided to register and hopefully get wired into a good community.

The internet has been both good and bad for me as a BMW owner. I made some good friends (both digital, and when geographically feasible, real-life) way back in the day on the S54 M Roadster forums on Roadfly. I only left after the relentless, and pointless sniping by a few 3.0L owners. I honestly got sick of taking the high road. The cars are apples and oranges. Having driven the Z3 in every iteration since the 2.8L, I decided to blow five years of savings on an M. Heck, it was my money and I never rubbed it any of their faces.

Fast-forward from there...I've been in a Mini Cooper S for the past five years, and the M gets rubbed with Griot's monthly and driven only in the most ideal of conditions. I have been awaiting the Mini Coupe for two years and only put my name on the 1M list as an alternate. In fact, with the imminent release of both cars, I almost opted out of my #1 spot...until I hunkered down and read these forums and pestered my dealership to let me drive every version of the 1-series they had on the lot. The sales rep at my dealership actually threatened me with a righteous face-slap if I dropped off the list with a guaranteed build-number, saying that in the 12 years of my exclusive patronage, that this would be the car he most wanted me to have.

Based on my experience with the S54, I would humbly suggest that sometimes in celebrating a special car, it can be perceived as gloating which I'm quite sure is not the intent of anybody here. It's a shame that typed messages lose all of the vocal auditory cues that make language so much more than a string of words.

This has been a great forum and I'd like to thank you for starting that thread and listening to a noob. As the build and delivery dates arrived, I noticed that the dialog was starting to evolve away from excitement to rancor.

This car is not the last chopper out of Saigon and someday I'm sure I'll be in the wings just drooling over another limited edition M that isn't allocated in near the numbers that are necessary. I'm not here to compare my car to anybody else's. I'm just amazed at what they built. And hopefully I'll glean some knowledge from those more experienced than myself.

Anyway, thanks for listening. My car should be on the boat soon and I'll throw down some photos in a couple months. Happy driving.

Last edited by Dee Pee; 06-29-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

Dee Pee, who did you order from? Rasmussen?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

My car sucks...
      06-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
I have the same sentiment as most of the others here...

@DanParker LMAO!!

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
BIGWILL
I heard your eyeballs move Pvt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E Class 4Matic Sport Merc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well said!!!!
      06-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

I want a 1M!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
It is very interesting listening to some of the threads. "My car is better than your car...wa..wa...wa". Probably being one of the elders here (I am almost 56), I purchased the 1M because it is what I want to drive. I've been in BMW CCA over 20 years, been a safety driving instructor for almost 10, am presently on one of the International BMW group board of directors, and love driving BMWs. Having owned almost 20 BMW's beginning with my first 2002tii in the early 1980's, I have enjoyed them ALL. Each one is different - yes - but each one has been unique, fun to drive, and been more than great transportation. I have owned 2002s, 3's, 5's, 8's, M3s, and some even more rare examples, like my present Alpina (not a B7). Yes - the 1M is getting a lot of press, deservedly so. But - so do many other BMWs at introduction.

So...when some other BMW person (M3, M5, etc) comes on whining saying this or that...it reminds me of the old song in the commercial... "My dog's better than your dog". But, when someone feels that they have to be insecure enough about their car to put down others, then I guess it does not go too far with me. I wonder about their true passion - maybe its there, or maybe its just the other P word they want...perception.

So...until someone else pays me for my car...don't put it down just to make yourself feel better!

There...enough said.
+1 Well said, especially the line about perception
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Hear hear!
Appreciate 0