BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Rear ended!

I must have the worst luck. Driving through a supermarket parking lot, I saw the girl behind me in her 2001 Accord coming in way too hot, and she's looking out driver's window while rolling forward. Promptly, I rolled forward a bit to avoid collision but nope, she continues forward until bumping into my car. Fortunately, the accident caused no damage, to my surprise not even paint transfer or dents on the bumper. I lucked out in a twisted way. I blame it on automatics. If everyone's driving stick they would need to be more focused while driving.
      11-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Was it during the day? I hope you took a CLOSE look at your bumper, sometimes there doesn't look like there's anything obvious but it's almost impossible to have contact and no sign of it. At any rate, if there's something there it can probably be buffed out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Robert
Major General
Rep

I washed the car just now and can't see anything visually. I will take a closer look tomorrow morning.

Phiberglass, car runs fine now. I hope the limp mode does not come back. May take the care in for newer firmware build because i have been noticing a little bit of lag.
      11-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Robert I got rear ended about two weeks ago while stopped at a red light and to my surprise only had 2 little scratches..almost like stone chips from his number plate during the impact..
I was amazed just like you..

Took the car to a repair shop and couldnt find any other damage besides the scratches..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
UmpChap
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible, SGM

I was rear-ended in September. Repair took six weeks, looks great. However, I've had a series of Loose Gas Cap lights followed by Service Engine Soon lights. Been to the dealer three times. Once they said it was a loose gas cap. Second time, a "hole in a pipe" but they didn't pursue that. Instead, they "reprogrammed" the car, said that would take care of it. It didn't. I've had the gas cap light once and the second time, the SES light will come on.

Repairs were done at the dealer's body shop and the SES light investigated at the dealer's service center. At least it is one place.

I'm convinced there is collision damage that hasn't been found. Never had SES lights before the collision, can't make them stop since. I'm not looking forward to them teariung the car down while they look for a leak but that's what I expect it will come to.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Took the car to a repair shop and couldnt find any other damage besides the scratches..

I am surprised how well the car held up. It was a minor accident but I expected some paint loss. Truth is, I couldn't find a scratch.
      11-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Did you try the horn? It might have alerted her to your presence.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Lucky that there was no damage, that would have been grounds for me to take her for all she has :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I am surprised how well the car held up. It was a minor accident but I expected some paint loss. Truth is, I couldn't find a scratch.
thats the super high quality flexible oem paint and adhesion process my bodyshop was telling me about.

never respray a whole panel if you have a small 4-6" scratch. (like i did). You want to save as much of that oem paint as you can. A respray of entire bumper wont be close to oem quality and process no matter how good they are.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
HappyNDing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It drives me

Quote:
I must have the worst luck. Driving through a supermarket parking lot, I saw the girl behind me in her 2001 Accord coming in way too hot, and she's looking out driver's window while rolling forward. Promptly, I rolled forward a bit to avoid collision but nope, she continues forward until bumping into my car. Fortunately, the accident caused no damage, to my surprise not even paint transfer or dents on the bumper. I lucked out in a twisted way. I blame it on automatics. If everyone's driving stick they would need to be more focused while driving.
We need pictures of said girl driver for uhh... insurance purposes; but if that was just an expression then never mind and nice to see 1 series > 01 Accord.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Wow, Robert... Been following the other thread with the N54 problems too... Sorry to hear of all the misfortune. At least this one seems to have worked out for the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
The rear bumper and diffuser is quite shock absorbant I found. Like the guy that rear ended me just didnt roll into me..He actually thought the lights changed and accelerated..

My car actually lurched forward and stalled from the impact..But thankfully no damage like I said besides two tiny stone chip like marks..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Next time honk your horn. You don't need to be behind someone for them to hear it and wake up.:wink:
      11-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
The rear bumper and diffuser is quite shock absorbant I found. Like the guy that rear ended me just didnt roll into me..He actually thought the lights changed and accelerated..

My car actually lurched forward and stalled from the impact..But thankfully no damage like I said besides two tiny stone chip like marks..
the exact same thing happened, to me, but the GMC trunk broke the bumper cover, caved in the reinforcement, and even dented in the rear body panel (on which everything sits)...

automatics sucks because they keep going if you don't do anything... standards stall.

should've known about the paint. I had a dent/ding on the rear side panel and I am 90% sure they resprayed the whole thing...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #15
Robert
Major General
Rep

Oh yes. The whole nine yards.

Her license, insurance, phone number and plate number!
      11-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #16
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Hey Robert,

Really sorry, bud. Sure wish you were having a better time with your 135. After all the bad luck the future drive is bound to be an improvement.:smile:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0