BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2015, 02:02 AM   #45
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
pepper135I

^^Yup. Or as with some aftermarket shift knobs... using some silicone RTV up inside the knob, before installing it, will keep it from moving around. The reason why you use RTV(black or clear) is so you can remove the knob somewhere down the line.
With that being said, I don't need to use the white retaining clip then from the original shift boot and knob? Just tuck the extra material from the performance boot into the new knob and push down? My issue is I thought we have to re use the clip so I actually started cutting small wholes in the boot so the clip could easily clip onto the new knob through the boot material.. I'm going to re buy a shift boot I guess and try to instal not using the white clip.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper135I View Post
With that being said, I don't need to use the white retaining clip then from the original shift boot and knob? Just tuck the extra material from the performance boot into the new knob and push down? My issue is I thought we have to re use the clip so I actually started cutting small wholes in the boot so the clip could easily clip onto the new knob through the boot material.. I'm going to re buy a shift boot I guess and try to instal not using the white clip.
The clip holds the shifter boot to the the shift knob.

I said you could use some silicone RTV inside the shift knob where it sits atop of the shift lever "forks" or notched lever. Normally the shift knob "snaps" or "locks" into position on top of the lever.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #47
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The clip holds the shifter boot to the the shift knob.

I said you could use some silicone RTV inside the shift knob where it sits atop of the shift lever "forks" or notched lever. Normally the shift knob "snaps" or "locks" into position on top of the lever.
Yes that makes sense. My issue/question is the BMW performance shift boot comes with excess material and no slits at the top where the knob would snap into the clip, like the oem shifter .. So do I cut 3 small holes into the excess material ? Or how did you get the actual prongs from the shift knob through the boot material into the clip? I cut my first shift boot with 3 small holes (ended up not being so small) put the prong through and clipped the white clip on the other side.. My issue is in first or reverse you can see a hole I cut when the material is stretched . I hope that made sense and appreciate your input .
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper135I View Post
Yes that makes sense. My issue/question is the BMW performance shift boot comes with excess material and no slits at the top where the knob would snap into the clip, like the oem shifter .. So do I cut 3 small holes into the excess material ? Or how did you get the actual prongs from the shift knob through the boot material into the clip? I cut my first shift boot with 3 small holes (ended up not being so small) put the prong through and clipped the white clip on the other side.. My issue is in first or reverse you can see a hole I cut when the material is stretched . I hope that made sense and appreciate your input .
IDK... I don't have the Performance shift knob. I only have the SSK with the OE shifter and boot. I hope this help you out. ?

Page 11, section 4...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf shifter SSK install.pdf (997.3 KB, 127 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #49
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IDK... I don't have the Performance shift knob. I only have the SSK with the OE shifter and boot. I hope this help you out. ?

Page 11, section 4...
Hmmm according the that there is no need for retaining clips from oem shift knob. Guess I'll give this a shot. Thank you sir you're always so helpful ever since I've been a memeber 2009
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #50
erikjhockey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Was anyone able to purchase just the knob and install into an E82 m sport shift knob boot?
Appreciate 0