BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Tune2Air - BT music for non-Combo Box cars

Hi guys, just thought I'd share this. Old iPod and Y-cable was stolen when guys broke into my car as some of you know so was doing some investigation around some alternatives for playing music in the car. I have a 2010 model so it didn't come with the combo box for A2D2 music streaming.

Just received an ebay Y-cable and a Tune2Air module (http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomIt...p?hidShowID=15) today and happy to say that it works perfectly, also great as I have an iPhone5 and there isn't an lightning cable version of the Y-cable. iDrive, steering controls and bluetooth phone calling all works without a hitch, and on the plus side it will work with any older iPhone4 docks that you may have, or provided at hotels etc.

Great alternative to having to retrofit a combo box!
      01-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Looks good, but I had to stop using my phone for music after I got a traffic fine for "operating" my phone at a redlight (was changing song)... there are non uniform cops in Brisbane CBD on various streets now, big money grab. I got caught by a cop in a vodafone uniform with a gopro on his head.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
Looks good, but I had to stop using my phone for music after I got a traffic fine for "operating" my phone at a redlight (was changing song)... there are non uniform cops in Brisbane CBD on various streets now, big money grab. I got caught by a cop in a vodafone uniform with a gopro on his head.
Mate, the steering wheel/iDrive controls work 100%, so no need to touch the phone at all!
      01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
i bought a similar looking unit from ebay a while ago - it was very cheap though, and while it worked, the sound quality was terrible compared to using the y-cable.

How's the sound quality on yours?

where did you buy it from? Looking at their Australian distributor, selling them for $110 - thats about $100 more than the one I previously purchased. So it all comes down to the sound quality.

Last edited by Moocow; 01-16-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
i bought a similar looking unit from ebay a while ago - it was very cheap though, and while it worked, the sound quality was terrible compared to using the y-cable.

where did you buy it from? Looking at their Australian distributor, selling them for $110 - thats about $100 more than the one I previously purchased. So it all comes down to the sound quality.
No different than the Y-cable, sound quality wise. Pretty sure it won't be as good but I personally can't tell the difference. Did yours actually allow full integration with iDrive? Track listing etc?

Got mine for $115 locally at Sound Labs, didn't want to wait for shipping.
      01-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
where are you based? I'd be interested to try it out if possible in my non idrive car.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
where are you based? I'd be interested to try it out if possible in my non idrive car.

cheers
Near Melb CBD, work in Docklands.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
SRT335
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Just ordered one, thanks for the tip.

I'll update on how it works with the old idrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
Hfrbe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D

Hi

what type did you buy on Ebay ?

kind regards

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfrbe View Post
Hi

what type did you buy on Ebay ?

kind regards
I tried a couple of different ones;
One looked similar to Tune2Air, it just plugged into a 30-pin dock connector. Although it cost $10. Sounded like shit, steering wheel buttons and track info on stereo did work however.

Another was a USB stick like thing that had an audio cable coming out it. Worked, sound was so-so, but steering wheel buttons and track info on stereo didn't work at all.

I've just bit the bullet and purchased a Tune2Air, I''l flog it off if I don't think its very good. I should get it tomorrow. or Thursday - will report back. Hopefully third time lucky!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
SRT335
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Got mine a few days ago, works perfectly with the older CCC idrive, displays song names, steering wheel controls etc...

I like that it lets you change the song either from your phone or using the idrive controls, unlike when the phone is plugged in and a song can only be changed through idrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT335 View Post
Got mine a few days ago, works perfectly with the older CCC idrive, displays song names, steering wheel controls etc...

I like that it lets you change the song either from your phone or using the idrive controls, unlike when the phone is plugged in and a song can only be changed through idrive.
Yeah it's great and resumes the music from what you were previously listening to on the phone!
      01-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've just bit the bullet and purchased a Tune2Air, I''l flog it off if I don't think its very good. I should get it tomorrow. or Thursday - will report back. Hopefully third time lucky!
I have a non-idrive car so will be interested in how it turns out - let us know.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
I have a non-idrive car so will be interested in how it turns out - let us know.

Cheers
Works a treat!

It gets picked up properly (iPod), so all steering wheel controls work, and song title is displayed on the stereo etc as it normally is when using the y-cable alone. The volume is great and it doesn't get distorted.

I found the cheap one that i got off ebay and decided to compare them. The cheap one would only get picked as AUX on the stereo - so no track information or steering wheel controls (except volume). The Tune2air sounded much better, I found that the cheap ebay one was nowhere near as clear. The volume on the ebay one, as it used AUX was very soft, so if you wanted to crank up a song, it became distorted.

So I would strongly recommended anyone getting the Tune2air WMA1000. Bluetooth streaming now works in the same manner as using the y-cable.

Now I just have to work out how I'm going to charge my iPhone 5s.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Now I just have to work out how I'm going to charge my iPhone 5s.
Lightning cable using the USB port in the glove box!
      02-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I got one of these and it works great except all podcasts play at 2x speed from my iphone. I've googled like crazy and can't see a fix. I did register to get a firmware update but still don't have my account yet, nor do I know if the update will work.

Music is fine.

Will update as I discover more.

Byron
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I got one of these and it works great except all podcasts play at 2x speed from my iphone. I've googled like crazy and can't see a fix. I did register to get a firmware update but still don't have my account yet, nor do I know if the update will work.

Music is fine.

Will update as I discover more.

Byron
Are you using the podcast app? It works fine for me hmm...
      02-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Are you using the podcast app? It works fine for me hmm...
I tried with the IOS 7 podcast app and Downcast. Same result.

Stuffed if I know why. They play normal speed if you start playing them on the phone, but double speed if you do it via I-drive/Tune2Air.

B
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Worked it out. It seems that the speed setting for Podcasts is controlled in the ITunes Music app. Changed it there and all good!

Byron
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
VCPV
Registered
Australia
Rep

hey guys!

I bought this awhile back and only recently realised that once the car is off, the blue light on the tune2air would still remain on.

Will this drain the battery?

Do you guys unplugged it when you off and leave the car?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCPV View Post
hey guys!

I bought this awhile back and only recently realised that once the car is off, the blue light on the tune2air would still remain on.

Will this drain the battery?

Do you guys unplugged it when you off and leave the car?

Cheers
I leave mine plugged in all the time. I don't think it would draw much from the battery, especially when nothing is connected via bluetooth to it. If I was going away for long period of time, i'd probably unplug it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

I didn't even know the light stays on since it's hidden away. Are you sure once you lock the door etc the light will stay on?

I've left it in permanently.