BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

CEL / Limp mode

Hey guys,

I apologize if this info could be found else where, I tried searching but had no luck.

So I just bought a 2008 135i. Completely stock except for a K&N drop in filter, I replaced the stock filter after purchase since it was pretty dirty and in my opinion needed replacing.

Anyways, I've been driving it for 3 days now with no issues what so ever. I went out for a high speed run with a friend and worked my way up to 5th gear where I was full throttle at 4k RPM. Suddenly the car dinged and a CEL came on, after this there was an absolute loss of power. Felt like the turbos were no longer working, I assumed this was limp mode?

Once I stopped, turned the car off waited a bit and started it again all issues were gone. No more CEL and power was back to normal. Can anyone explain what might have happened, and should I be visiting the dealership to have it resolved?? Is WOT in 5th gear a no no?!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I had that happened when I first bought the car. It turned out to be a faulty VANOS solenoid and it was replaced under warranty. Your problem could be the same or something different, so it is best to take it in and see if they can find the fault code when you triggered it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I had that happened when I first bought the car. It turned out to be a faulty VANOS solenoid and it was replaced under warranty. Your problem could be the same or something different, so it is best to take it in and see if they can find the fault code when you triggered it.
Cool, thanks for the info. I will call them and try get it scheduled in.

You also drive an evo or come from the evo world? I just traded in an evo x on the 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebles View Post
Cool, thanks for the info. I will call them and try get it scheduled in.

You also drive an evo or come from the evo world? I just traded in an evo x on the 135i
I used to have an Evo 9 but it got stolen, so I jumped into the 135i as Evos were like Hondas in regards to theft.

I miss it but I am happy with my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I used to have an Evo 9 but it got stolen, so I jumped into the 135i as Evos were like Hondas in regards to theft.

I miss it but I am happy with my 135i.
Ah, sorry to hear about the evo. Some people I tell ya, world is full of hooligans.

Anyone else have any possible ideas what could cause this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9
This was the same experience I had
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
EvoX22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Weebles, I thought your name looked familiar. I saw your name on evoxforums a bit. I recently sold my evo x for a 135i as well. In some ways I miss the evo but the 135 with jb4 and dp's is pretty much fun! anyway goodluck with your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX22 View Post
Weebles, I thought your name looked familiar. I saw your name on evoxforums a bit. I recently sold my evo x for a 135i as well. In some ways I miss the evo but the 135 with jb4 and dp's is pretty much fun! anyway goodluck with your car!
Thanks man, yeah I was very active on evoxforums.. 4k+ posts. I had fp green and the whole works.

I ordered a cobb AP already, plan to do downpipes + FMIC next.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
weebles
Enlisted Member
Rep

update: Phoned the dealer, since our schedules weren't matching they asked me to see if I could replicate the problem... Went out and had no issues, now a day later it happened during a spirited drive.

Guess I'll call the dealer again and try get my car scheduled in, I really hope this isn't going to be a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0