BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

OT - Ford Kuga drive

I'm still looking for something to replace my 06 Liberty GT. These days, finding a 4WD that can do 0-100 in about 6 sec and be economical and manual and about $50K seems impossible.

The Kuga has the ol 5 cylinder ovlov/XR5 donk (the only engine and auto only ) in it and seems to go well until pushed. Then you realise that about 90% of the available throttle is in the first few mm of movement. There is not a lot left to overtake. Not slow, just not very quick.

The ride seemed very good and quiet and the (german) build quality seemed excellent and at least it has a spare, albeit a spacesaver. The interior was reasonably quiet with just a bit of wind noise from the mirrors. Didn't push the handling, but it sat very flat and the steering was accurate, if lacking in a little feel. The brakes were very grabby, but it only had 30 kilometers on it! The seats were ok, butthe bolstering was so soft I think you would br hanging on hard in spirited driving.

I suspect that driven in a moderate fashioin the economy would be lousy (the 2.5 is known as a bit of a drinker - ADR combined is 10.6 l per 100 megathingies) and no towbar is availble yet.

So am I interested? - Sort of, but not reallly. No diesel, no manual, smallish boot and fuel economy concerns are all issues to me. It is not a bad car, better than most of the smallish SUVs i've driven, but it doesn't excite me. The price of around $40- 45K seems ok, and it seems well decked out for toys.

Suspect I will keep looking around.
      05-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

X3 35d?
      05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia